Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 PM

63 posts, read 38,154 times

Advertisements

Two points

First point

There are several postings by people with POOR reading comprehension.

This is NOT a discussion of the merit or lack thereof of the NYC Bag Fee.

It IS a discussion on how it is being implemented.

The question is in a DEMOCRACY, how should a non-routine, controversial issue be considered?

A non-routine, controversial issue needs to be put on the ballot as a proposition and/or develop and patent a biodegradable bag and pass a law that this type of bag must be used. Since the city will finance the development, the royalties from the patent can go to the city coffers to repay their investment and afterwards it will be sheer profits for the city while preserving a lifelong tradition of getting a complimentary bag to take home one’s purchases.

Second point

City Union cannot endorse anyone for mayor this year.

• De Blasio’s term is engulfed with unethical issues.

• Except for Nicole Malliokatis, all the others are unqualified.

• With respect to Nicole Malliokatis, she is an earnest candidate with great potential but lacks experience.

From the above, one can infer that Nicole Malliokatis is the best of the available choices.

She is currently in the State Legislature.

Well, Obama and Kennedy were in Congress just prior to becoming president while Trump had a lot of executive experience as a CEO.

And, Nicole Malliokatis would break the glass ceiling as being the first female mayor.

Nicole’s father is Greek while her mother is Latino. She is close to her parents.

It seems to be Nicole’s wholesomeness versus de Blasio's dictatorial approach.

Our vote is too valuable to vote as “business as usual”.

Therefore, as a lifelong registered Democrat, I will vote for Nicole Malliokatis.

Check out her positions on her website.

Last edited by a New Yorker; 10-31-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a New Yorker View Post
Two points

First point

There are several postings by people with POOR reading comprehension.

This is NOT a discussion of the merit or lack thereof of the NYC Bag Fee.

The question is in a DEMOCRACY, how should a non-routine, controversial issue be considered?

A non-routine, controversial issue needs to be put on the ballot as a proposition and/or develop and patent a biodegradable bag and pass a law that this type of bag must be used. Since the city will finance the development, the royalties from the patent can go to the city coffers to repay their investment and afterwards it will be sheer profits for the city while preserving a lifelong tradition of getting a complimentary bag to take home one’s purchases.

Second point

City Union cannot endorse anyone for mayor this year.

• De Blasio’s term is engulfed with unethical issues.

• Except for Nicole Malliokatis, all the others are unqualified.

• With respect to Nicole Malliokatis, she is an earnest candidate with great potential but lacks experience.

From the above, one can infer that Nicole Malliokatis is the best of the available choices.

She is currently in the State Legislature.

Well, Obama and Kennedy were in Congress just prior to becoming president while Trump had a lot of executive experience as a CEO.

And, Nicole Malliokatis would break the glass ceiling as being the first female mayor.

Nicole’s father is Greek while her mother is Latino. She is close to her parents.

It seems to be Nicole’s wholesomeness versus de Blasio dictatorial approach.

Our vote is too valuable to vote as “business as usual”.

Therefore, as a lifelong registered Democrat, I will vote for Nicole Malliokatis.

Check out her positions on her website.
I forgot that the bag fee was being pushed by who! Finally, someone working to tackle the issue, so thank you for bringing this to our attention! There are a lot of de Blasio’s policies and actions that I disagree with or find to be awful, but this might be what tips me to vote for him.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Last time I voted was 2008. And I have no problem telling people I didn't vote.
When I was young, I was proud and excited to vote. That phase has past.
If my actual vote ever counts as a vote, I will vote again.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I forgot that the bag fee was being pushed by who! Finally, someone working to tackle the issue, so thank you for bringing this to our attention! There are a lot of de Blasio’s policies and actions that I disagree with or find to be awful, but this might be what tips me to vote for him.

“Finally, someone working to tackle the issue”

“This is NOT a discussion of the merit or lack thereof of the NYC Bag Fee.

The question is in a DEMOCRACY, how should a non-routine, controversial issue be considered?”

Be careful to vote for a person with a dictatorial approach; especially if “There are a lot of de Blasio’s policies and actions that I disagree with or find to be awful”!

It is NOT a question on his position but on his approach!

Old 11-07-2017, 07:17 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Voted this morning for Malliotakis.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Got mine in as well.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:59 AM

3,731 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
She's got zero chance because almost no one has heard of her
Many people felt the same way about DeBlasio. A nobody who came up from behind last minute to win the Race because the the controversy around Weiner and Quinn losing momentum.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Last time I voted was 2008. And I have no problem telling people I didn't vote.
When I was young, I was proud and excited to vote. That phase has past.
If my actual vote ever counts as a vote, I will vote again.
I am voting for Joe Pesci!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Malliotakins: the bag lady.
She wants Great Kills to look the way it USED to.

She will be lucky to get 20% of the vote.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:22 AM

In NYC where the electorate is 86% registered Democrats and with one of the lowest turnout ever, it is not too surprising who would win.

Malliotakis stuck to the routine issues which excited no one; rather, she should have included some novelties such as the implementation of the Bag Fee.

De Blasio used the anti-Trump theme in his campaign and in his acceptance speech. Do you think he is using this as a stepping stone for higher office? For, that argument is quite important but rather irrelevant in a mayoralty election since the U.S. Constitution clearly states which one has more power over the other. But, the greatest power of all is public opinion at the next election as well as at determining their legacy. “We the people…”

Trump’s and the Republican’s legacy is the decline of America’s leadership and respect in the world and a direct assault on America’s fundamental principles as set on the Statue of Liberty and the realization that the Republicans are all hype and no substance! They know how to tear apart but they lack the intelligence to come up with anything better in the past eight (8) years. When seeing through their propaganda, it becomes apparent that they just want to give more money to the rich.

Stupidity is not limited to the Republicans; for the Democrats’ unethical treatment of Bernie Sanders in favor of the hype for Hillary makes them deserve to lose; but, in doing so, the greatest losers are “We the people…”

“We the people…” should not let the insiders of the political parties tell us whom to vote for; but, rather, “We the people…” should tell them whom we want to vote for.

Between elections, “We the people…” need to take back our political parties from the insiders by personally getting involved ourselves starting at all levels within the parties so that when the elections do come around again “We the people…” will not be swayed by a Hillary-type hype but rather insist on a Bernie-Sanders type approach and CLEARLY educate the general public on it and how it will better their lives; thereby, taking back our government from the mediocrity, incompetence, and extremism prevalent in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City