Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

I agree with Bluedog.....we should just pull out of everybody's affairs and stick to ourselves. Our embassies should be in other countries only to assist American travelers, nothing more.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 AM

106,663 posts, read 108,810,853 times
not since the cuban missile crisis have i woken up and wondered if we are in a nuclear war .

we poke our noses in to way to much business of others

Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 AM

343 posts, read 254,492 times
Fair enough. I may shift my viewpoint.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:58 AM

270 posts, read 145,531 times
North Korea would be INSANE to attack anyone with a missle, nuclear or non-nuclear. The little crap-stain on the map would be wiped out within a day. Now why would Kim want to mess up the sweet gig he has going right now? The same sweet gig that his daddy and grand-daddy also enjoyed?

Old 09-16-2017, 10:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
What is going to be the outcome of this esculating crisis?

What is to be gained by firing the missles and the defiance to the world community?

Who does North Korea think they are? How can other leaders put a stop to this all?

Thoughts, comments, opinions please
As someone who is profession in geopolitics and as someone who minored in politics. North Korea is just trying to show its strength and use Nukes as a way to bargain what it wants at the negotiating table. North Korea itself is an Stalinist country, its one of the last remnants of the Soviet Empire satellite state and huge benefactor of the Soviet Union and Communist China. Korea was divided due to the end of World War 2. The Russians who have historical grievance against the Japanese people wanted all of East Asia for themselves. Prior to 1904 much of East Asia was under Russian domination or Russian influence, and designed to keep the British out who were based in South and Southeast Asia. You have to remember that Britain and Russia had a Great Game for all of Asia, with British controlling South Asia, and Russia controlling North Asia. The 1905 War between Japan and Russia knocked Russia dominance of East Asia out of the ball Park and Japan became the dominate power in the region, and took Korea as a colony. Russia and Japan both wanted Korea but the Japanese victory in 1905, Russia can no longer obtain Korea and its warm water port in China known as Port Arthur. Japanese victory would have not been possible if it wasn't for British assistance.

Fast forward nearly 50 years later. Stalin's Red Army who also had Hitler on the run, also had the Japanese on the run, and made vast territory gains which the Russians have lost in the 1905 war with Japan have been regain. Russia could have also conquered Japan as well, but the dropping of two nukes on Japan checked Russian advance in the Far East. One of the areas that Russia gained was Korean peninsula which can provide Russia with a warm water port. Korea as a whole was supposed to be Communist, however the Americans landed in Ithon. The beginnings of the Korean War began right after the end of World War 2.

Even though World War 2 is gone, we as a world is still dealing with Stalin's garbage, and that garbage is North Korea. If North Korea nukes Tokyo which is a major global trading market, it would be a disaster for the stock exchanges here in NYC and in London. The US has 1/5 of its forces in East Asia just to defend Japan from Russian, Chinese and North Korean aggression, and to protect South Korea from North Korean aggression. If the US attacks North Korea preemptively, this will cause Russia and China to respond to actions against America. Putin and Jei are allied with North Korea. The only players that can deescalate the situation in the Far East are the Chinese and Russians.

How will a North Korean conflict affect NYC? possibly in finance where stocks will tumble. If Russia and China joins North Korea side, who will this affect the Russian, Chinese and Korean population of NYC? Nearly all or most of NYC Russian population is Jewish and not Christian or atheist, don't harbor Russia in a positive light due to years of anti-Semitism in Soviet Russia and in the Putin years. Most Russians in NYC will not support or be pro Russia on their views supporting North Korea. Chinese in NYC will probably be divided either by not supporting of Chinese support of North Korea, or being silent. Koreans in NYC will probably protest and ask for more American support to end hostilities.

As for my opinion. I just hope missiles don't fly. Remember small countries bring larger countries into war. Case in point World War 1 and World war 2. North Korea is a small country, China and Russia are huge countries. China has the worlds largest army on Earth, and Russia has the largest cavalry unit on Earth, and largest Nuclear warhead stockpile on Earth. I'm more concerned of Russia and China entering the conflict than anything else in order to defend Little Kim.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-16-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
What if somebody came to your apartment with a big rifle and said they want to blast your front door down. Are you going to say thats okay it happens everyday. You could be nice and buy the guy lunch and a bouquet of flowers. The next day they will still want to blast your door down. Eventually they will. But if you decide to grow a set and be strong, you catch them outside your door and grab the gun from the persons hands and (brutally) smash the person with the gun. They will think twice about messing with you.
Well,so far only one of the 2 countries has come to the door of the other and attacked it with "a big rifle."
It was us...we went there and attacked them. Even now ,the only reason they threaten us is because we constantly threaten them.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not since the cuban missile crisis have i woken up and wondered if we are in a nuclear war .

we poke our noses in to way to much business of others
But sometimes this is necessary for those playing a game. It's just all about control. If we can overthrow their gov't, NK would be a great asset to threaten China. We're witnessing a new cold war between China and US. China is trying to gain influence around the world via financial assistance and the US is trying to shut that down every chance it gets (e.g. Venezuela is already or will be shut out of the western financial system in the near future much akin to how Cuba was because of how evil they are, and just a few days ago the country with the world's largest proven oil reserves retaliated by pricing their oil in yuan).

What I'm surprised by is the ignorance of some that think we had nothing to do with this. I can't think of anything more trumpian if that's a word. It's like walking in front of someone in the street and taunting them in their faces with practice punches and when they react by showing us their taekwondo routine some people scream bloody murder.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 09-16-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 03:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
i view all this crap as as the world turns. i don't even think about it because it could drive you crazy. i'm also an nihilist / anarchist at <3 so clearly i don't give a crap what happens. We're just bugs, really.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
As a former NYr: When I lived in NY I would not have cared what NK was doing (and I rarely do now). I was too busy dealing with the crazy embassy personnel who were in NYC doing their stupid crazy stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City