Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:20 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyln View Post
Hello,

I recently signed a lease for a new floor-through apartment on the Upper East Side (Yorkville) near Carl Shurz Park. I keep second-guessing my decision and wondering if I should have looked for longer before being enamored with this apartment. You know how it goes. So I figured I would turn to the objective crowd here on the City-Data forum for some outside opinions.

The rent is $3,200. Broker fee (yuck, I know) was 11%, an improvement over the 15% I paid for my last place.

The space is ~800 sqft in a well-maintained pre-war walk-up building. Nice finishes, the hardwood floors look like they were recently redone.

Here is the floor plan:

Attachment 190278

I'd love to hear your thoughts as to whether I'm getting a good deal, being screwed, or somewhere in between.

Thank you!
What other areas apart from the UES were you looking at or would have considered? As long as you're happy, that's all that counts. While I could afford that rent, I would never pay that much to rent in any building here in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
What other areas apart from the UES were you looking at or would have considered? As long as you're happy, that's all that counts. While I could afford that rent, I would never pay that much to rent in any building here in NYC.
Oh I dunno. If the market says the rent is $3200, well then it's $3200 or move out of NYC. Cannot talk about how you'd *never* pay this or that.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:46 AM

45 posts, read 52,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
My girlfriend works on the Upper East Side and we've lived here for a couple of years and are happy here.

I would never pay that rent alone, but for two people (and I work from home), it seemed fine. Still have sticker shock because I don't come from extreme wealth and, as a business owner, am personally responsible for the entirety of my income so that's always a source of stress.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 AM

45 posts, read 52,639 times
I appreciate every single reply here, though this thread really became a bit of a mess somewhere in the middle.

For the record, I asked if it was fair given the space, the location, and the market rate. I did not ask for personal judgement about my life choices from folks I don't know, but hey, that's the Internet.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Only in New York...

Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
I would say it's too expensive for a 1bd. I'm paying $1600 for a tenement studio right now and the thought of living in something valued over $2k rent wise in a similar building that's not at least a 2bd is scary. I had a 2bd 1000 sq ft tenement over in SoHo split with a friend total $3500ish over by the Hudson in the TriBeCa zipcode (entire floor) and it was NICE, but I can't pay that much to live with someone in rent, it seems crazy to me. Moved out after only 1 year into my own place that was cheaper and nicer. Suddenly that $2400 luxury 1bd with doorman, laundry, gym, elevator, rooftop, etc. I have the option for in the Lower East Side doesn't sound so bad... but I still value my money more than my rent. Would rather cut down on the rent, invest the difference, and rest at peace that I'll be able to retire better.

And technically I'd be able to afford that rent. Not 100% sure how brokers/owners/landlords take into account bonus payments; have never tried to rent anything that expensive alone.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 PM

175 posts, read 134,795 times
Exactly the bigger our expenses, usually the bigger our salaries, the bigger our salaries usually more hours spent working at these corporate jobs, so its a vicious cycle of spending sometimes 60-80 hours at work to afford a more expensive apartment, an apartment that these people spend less time at, then spend more time at a corporate job that we hate to maintain the lifestyle that we don't even have time to enjoy.

this is what Manhattan does to us, its a cycle. Think of the lives of investment bankers or busy people in general they barely even have time to spend raising their own children, half of the time the kid is raised by some Caribbean or latina nanny.

this vicious cycle is what is spurring the whole tiny house/minimalist living trend nationwide, because a lot more people want to put their money and efforts in experiences as oppose to materialistic and expensive fancy things.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:17 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I need to jack up the rent on my tenants studio in Yorkville!!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 12,429 times
Your can get a bigger space, walk up apt if you move to the upper Westside.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibeyi View Post
Your can get a bigger space, walk up apt if you move to the upper Westside.

Don't be so sure of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: