Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
I am fed up with the homeless begging! I just got off work and decided to go get some coffee from Dunkin Donuts on Lex Ave, and a homeless man was blocking the entrance. He says, "I'll let you pass if you promise to give me your change." I immediately left and went to a nearby McDonald's for coffee instead only for another homeless man to approach me while I'm on line! Five minutes later, I'm at the bus stop and another homeless man approaches me asking for money . After I take the bus, I get off to go to the new Whole Foods on 125th and was stopped by a guy asking for directions. After giving him directions, he starts talking about how welfare is so messed up and then asks me if I can spare some change

I know I should be used to it, but nope. Enough is enough!
If a Whole Foods moving into Harlem isn't 'cleaning it up', then I don't know what is.

Obviously, you never saw 125th street in the 90s...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:32 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If a Whole Foods moving into Harlem isn't 'cleaning it up', then I don't know what is.

Obviously, you never saw 125th street in the 90s...

IMHO Whole Foods is no more upscale than Fairway, and there has been one of those stores in Harlem for years.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:41 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
IMHO Whole Foods is no more upscale than Fairway, and there has been one of those stores in Harlem for years.
In terms of offerings, Fairway is pretty good, but Whole Foods and Fairway aren't the same. Cannot compare an organic/health grocer to one that caters to European/high-end American food desires. When stepping in Fairway, sometimes can feel as if you're back in Europe with some of the offerings they have there. Have seen things that I *never* thought I would find in the States when living in Europe.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
So, what are you trying to say?

Whole Foods is associated with nice places. And Harlem is becoming a much nicer place. That is what I am trying to say.

Unless you know the date of when the Whole Foods is coming to Camden, NJ...

Old 09-17-2017, 06:28 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Stop calling it Whole Foods. It's called Amazon now. Overpriced groceries for people with food issues who are insecure about themselves and need to lord what they shove down their piehole and poop out their butt because they have nothing better to do than raise their neighbors' rents.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 PM

45 posts, read 54,963 times
Quote:
Neil Patrick-Harris and his husband/family live not far from 125th: https://ny.curbed.com/2013/9/5/10201...rlem-townhouse
Seems like the oddest location imaginable for a $3.6 million residential townhouse...a tiny island surrounded by ugly, charmless commercial properties. I'm sure it's lovely but seems a bizarre choice, regardless of size and period detail.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith11 View Post
Seems like the oddest location imaginable for a $3.6 million residential townhouse...a tiny island surrounded by ugly, charmless commercial properties. I'm sure it's lovely but seems a bizarre choice, regardless of size and period detail.

Don't know (obviously) the particulars as to why Mr. NPH and husband chose that block. But IIRC they or least he lived in area previously and rather like things in that part of Harlem. Lord knows plenty of other wealthy gays have bought townhouses/mansions in both East and West Harlem.

As for the area being an "island"; well you could have said the same about much of downtown below 23rd Street, and certainly below 14th. Can well remember when people thought others were out of their minds to pay a few million for SoHo, Tribeca, and parts of the West Village. Now you can't get a studio in a clapped out building down there for under several million it seems.

Back to NPH, there is something to be said one supposes for the anonymity afforded by the area. Well of course thanks to media coverage everyone knows he lives there, but otherwise it is off the beaten path enough that the husbands and more importantly their children won't be bothered.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:50 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
In terms of offerings, Fairway is pretty good, but Whole Foods and Fairway aren't the same. Cannot compare an organic/health grocer to one that caters to European/high-end American food desires. When stepping in Fairway, sometimes can feel as if you're back in Europe with some of the offerings they have there. Have seen things that I *never* thought I would find in the States when living in Europe.
I was in Montreal in July and I went to an IGA, which I believe is a regular supermarket chain.

It was so nice, they had a wide variety of things including some delicious looking cuts of fish .

It wasn't over the top fancy, but even their frozen pizzas looked appealing.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
IGA is a very old US chain, I see them in Connecticut & Jersey, there's even one in L.I.C.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM

270 posts, read 198,557 times
Move to Bed-Stuy. Never thought I would ever say it--but it's a big step up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City