Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 02:45 PM

74 posts, read 84,677 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have an apartment interview on the 26 of this month with Breaking Grounds, but I have no credit, nor do I owe money to anyone. Do you think I'll still land this apartment? I meet the income. I'm single, 26 years old, and I've been working for the board of education since I was 20 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Shoudln't be a problem. If anything these kinds of apartments SHOULD be going to people in your situation. Maybe get a secured credit card in the meantime? Most of us wish we had virgin credit in this process.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn154 View Post
Hello, I have an apartment interview on the 26 of this month with Breaking Grounds, but I have no credit, nor do I owe money to anyone. Do you think I'll still land this apartment? I meet the income. I'm single, 26 years old, and I've been working for the board of education since I was 20 years old.

I'm in the same situation, only I had credit before but paid off my entire debt a good five years ago and haven't used credit ever since.

Don't worry - I was able to get an apartment recently, even though I turned it down. And yes, they checked my credit. You're good!

Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Bring something to proof that you make your payment on time for the past 12 months, such as cell phone bill or utility bill. After you did that, inform them that you are working on getting credit establish.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Bring something to proof that you make your payment on time for the past 12 months, such as cell phone bill or utility bill. After you did that, inform them that you are working on getting credit establish.
Sounds like a great idea, but are you sure it's ok to bring up having no credit? I don't want to ruin my chances of landing this apartment. I REALLY need it lol

Old 09-18-2017, 05:02 PM

Don't offer more info than they ask for. Don't start out saying you have no credit they may interpret that as being bad credit (half the people who conduct these pre-interviews look like they just graduated high school and might not even have any idea how it works). If you get rejected for the credit issue, then appeal. There's nothing wrong with not having a credit history. It's not like you're purchasing a house with a giant mortgage or anything. You're a clean slate, you're good.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Don't offer more info than they ask for. Don't start out saying you have no credit they may interpret that as being bad credit (half the people who conduct these pre-interviews look like they just graduated high school and might not even have any idea how it works). If you get rejected for the credit issue, then appeal. There's nothing wrong with not having a credit history. It's not like you're purchasing a house with a giant mortgage or anything. You're a clean slate, you're good.
Thanks a lot. I feel really confident now. They've only asked me to bring a copy of my birth certificate, copy of my ssc, a copy of my ID, and a $25 money order for a background check and credit check. I'm assuming they'll ask for more paperwork after I bring them those paperwork.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Exactly, just bring all the required documents and if they request more and need more they will ask. I wish I was in your situation, good luck to you, I wish you the best.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Exactly, just bring all the required documents and if they request more and need more they will ask. I wish I was in your situation, good luck to you, I wish you the best.
Thank you so much. You gave me confidence to push on further. I'll let you guys know how it went. I'll probably even send some pics if I get the apartment

Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 PM

quote:
I'll probably even send some pics if I get the apartment

No. don't. It just makes us who lost out on apartments kinda sorta bitter lol. Just share the process, don't post pics of the swank apartment hahaha. I mean you can of course, but it does no good in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City