Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times

Advertisements

meetup.com, facebook, just going to events in your interest

Btw, welcome from Japan! I love going there and try to do so 4 times a year haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
Volunteering for a cause you believe in, or for a cultural group, is a great way to meet people. Get on the mailing list for the Japan Society, which holds a lot of interesting events (Home: Japan Society)

You've gotten great suggestions here.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Your neighbors sound like serial killers.

Those guys from the gym just sound like regular killers, though.

So it's really up to you how you want to die. Try meetup.com for even more options.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:50 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

So it's really up to you how you want to die. Try meetup.com for even more options.
sounds like NYC is full of killers wow

Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
You also might meet people by doing a language exchange -- if you are trying to improve your English and they are trying to improve their Japanese.

Not sure exactly how you find an exchange partner but I suspect there are groups on meetup and Facebook, etc. where you can find this. Or maybe just trying Googling language exchange Japanese English NYC.

There is also a kind of interesting looking Japanese culture place called Resobox with locations in both Long Island City Queens and in Chelsea in Manhattan. Maybe you've had your fill of Japanese culture and are only looking for American since you're here now, but just thought I'd mention it.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:

More options on ways to die? I'll look into it.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
Quote:

Killing me softly. lol

Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Meetup.com is okay. I've signed up and it's not too bad. You're in a group setting meeting at a public place over a common interest so...my experience hasn't been all that bad. The worst thing for me was that I got bored in some groups while others were fun. None made me feel like I was in danger.
And trust your gut instinct. If you feel uncomfortable, refrain. It's best to err on the side of caution. Don't be in a rush. Take your time. You'll meet people over time. Also, if you're a church person, there are numerous functions and events going on at church. And some are geared towards those who are new to the city or foreign born. Enjoy!

Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
Newsflash... this is going to be the opposite of what some people are saying, but the older one gets, especially in a strange city (i can't even imagine), the harder and more impossible it gets to make "friends". Friends are people you meet in grade school as a kid, in high school, and then in college. most people drift apart, that's a human reality and I find it strange that more and more people seem to be lamenting this fact these days, but that's the reality of the situation. I'm not a breeder, but the best friends you will meet as an adult is when you are out breeding and those other adults with children become your friends I guess. It's gross, I know, and not something most people want to hear, but it's the reality of the situation. When you turn like 55+ the chances for more random friendships increase, but people between the ages of 25 and 55 are basically family-selfish in America.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 PM

130 posts, read 163,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michifrmjp View Post
Hello everyone.
I have recently moved to Brooklyn from Japan, and will be here for a few years. It has been about 6wks since I moved, and/but I have no friends yet.

My co-worker (he is from the Bronx) told me that as a single female living alone, I need to be careful who I become friends with. Ever since he had told me that, my excitement to start a new life here had gotten weaker, I think I have been overly cautious, and I dont know how to lower my guard!

For example, My neighbors seem to be a super nice people, they have traveled to Japan, and they are interested in becoming friends with me, but in my head I am telling myself "you dont know them like that,,, what if they do this and that" etc,,,, I end up avoiding to talk to them.
There were 2guys who kindly came to talk to me in the gym. It made me happy, or it was the first time I finally smiled talking to someone after a month of coming to the US. Then when they asked me out for lunch/dinner, I got scared. Like,,only two of us in the car? Maybe he is gonna find out where I live and,,,

It is ridiclous to just believe in what my coworker said, but to back up his words, I have met more rude/mean people than good (the culture is very different from Japan of course), and this is why I kind of believe what he says.

How do you all meet new people and get to know each other? are you really careful when you meet someone new? Is this a NY thing? or am I overly concerned?
First of all, your friend lives in the Bronx. Bronx and Brooklyn are two different places.
I think that you should not tell people that you are single and living alone. Just say you have a couple of roommates. It's a white lie, but you're not hurting anyone.
If you feel someone is constantly asking for your life story, feel free to say that you are not interested in sharing. New Yorkers are pretty blunt. Feel free to act like one. Don't ever feel obligated to tell someone something that you feel uncomfortable sharing.
One suggestion I would have is start with people you feel comfortable with, whether it is at work, or at a local hangout.
I don't blame you for being paranoid in NYC. Why don't you start with being friends with women versus men? It sounds like you are worried about being attacked by men.... in general.
I have lived in the city my entire life. You have to have faith that some people are not evil and that you can tell the difference. I assume the best of people unless proven otherwise. Maybe dinner is just dinner.... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City