Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am not sure who told you such a lie. CVS jacked up their prices on just about everything, so they give you discounts to make you think you're getting a deal or whatever. On top of that, have to deal with *obnoxious* customer service people.
That might be true because I don't often go to pharmacies. I tend to avoid them but last time I was in CVS still found it cheaper than Duane Reed or Walgreens. They also have those robot kiosks checkouts so you don't even have to deal with nasty humans if you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:53 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
That might be true because I don't often go to pharmacies. I tend to avoid them but last time I was in CVS still found it cheaper than Duane Reed or Walgreens. They also have those robot kiosks checkouts so you don't even have to deal with nasty humans if you don't want to.
Duane Reade's prices are on another level entirely. Am so glad so many of them are closing. Good riddance. Extremely *overpriced*, with nasty cashiers. Stopped shopping there years ago even in a pinch. CVS' machines tend to breakdown a lot so usually have to have those idiotic workers coming over to look at you scan every item. Defeats the entire purpose of self-checkout.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:51 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Everything in RiteAid is 20% including sale items. It'll be a damn shame if the corporate communists take that away.
Corporate communists? You do know that doesn't exist and those are two opposites

Old 09-20-2017, 03:56 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
There is a DR on Second between 79th and 80th that is rarely busy. Across the street there is a Rite Aid that is nearly always. Will be interesting to see what Walgreens does in that situation. Know plenty of persons who are already nervous about this take over as they *love* that Rite-Aid

Rite-Aid stores have almost become the de facto supermarket for many seniors and others on a tight budget, at least from what one has seen. Their prices are low and more so when things are on sale.

Can always tell when Bounty paper towels are on sale at local Rite-Aid, because you see everyone and their mother carrying home a few of those multi roll packs.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:10 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am not sure who told you such a lie. CVS jacked up their prices on just about everything, so they give you discounts to make you think you're getting a deal or whatever. On top of that, have to deal with *obnoxious* customer service people.
I shop CVS just for sale items and usually I have coupons for those items as well. I don't usually save much at other stores and supermarkets but I do well at CVS. They send me summaries of my savings and I am in the top 2% of CVS savers in NY.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:29 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I shop CVS just for sale items and usually I have coupons for those items as well. I don't usually save much at other stores and supermarkets but I do well at CVS. They send me summaries of my savings and I am in the top 2% of CVS savers in NY.
Apparently we're part of the *same* club. To be honest, have cut back on my spending in CVS drastically. Usually would buy things like Stonyfield Organic milk, Evian water, GMO free veggie chips or Häagen-Dazs ice cream when on sale, but they raised their prices, and with cheaper options for most of those things available, really don't go as often unless it's late at night and can't go elsewhere. Sometimes, will also buy the big packages of Bounty or Cottonelle for $9.99 when on sale. Otherwise, most of everything else is generally of low quality or overpriced.

See no reason to pay *$5.29* for Stonyfield Organic milk, when Whole Foods has organic milk for *$3.49*, a savings of almost two dollars. GMO free veggie chips are $3.99 vs $2.29 at Whole Foods.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:41 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Corporate communists? You do know that doesn't exist and those are two opposites
Or are they really just two completely opposing theories that are mechanically the same.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:28 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,985 times
And the folks working in those stores will still get paid minimum wage

Life.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
When Walgreens got their mitts on Duane Reade prices went though the roof.
That's revisionist history. When Walgreens made the acquisition of DR, DR had already transformed itself into a wannabe Sephoras boutiqu-ey chain with much higher prices. Walgreens decided not to integrate the brands and leave DR "as-is", they had nothing to do with the price increases

Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Spoke to manager at local Rite Aid a few week ago and according to her only the stores outside of Manhattan were acquired by Walgreens. Stores in the City were not part of the deal and will remain as they are now.

This makes sense given the density of NYC, especially Manhattan. You have places were there are Duane Read or Walgreen stores on the same block or right across the street from Rite Aid. Obviously keeping both stores open does not make sense, so one would have to go.

Rite Aid's prices beat DR and certainly Walgreen any day of the week. Local UES Rite Aid store is killing everyone in the area on milk/dairy. They sell out of most milk and half/half (especially organic) almost literally within a day or so of new shipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City