Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 756 times

Advertisements

I'm moving into Manhattan with my partner and almost 90lb labrador retriever soon, and am looking for a rental apartment on the Upper East Side. I've found lots of buildings that allow dogs, but usually with a weight limit. Does anyone have tips on finding an apartment that will allow my oaf of a dog? We're definitely willing to pay a pet deposit to make life easier.

Also -- please know that our dog has lived in his apartment his entire life & is so happy to just be with us. He is lazy, but loves his walks that we give him daily. Not to mention my parents live in the suburbs nearby & we plan on providing him with weekend reprieves to their grassy backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:21 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdognyc15 View Post
I'm moving into Manhattan with my partner and almost 90lb labrador retriever soon, and am looking for a rental apartment on the Upper East Side. I've found lots of buildings that allow dogs, but usually with a weight limit. Does anyone have tips on finding an apartment that will allow my oaf of a dog? We're definitely willing to pay a pet deposit to make life easier.

Also -- please know that our dog has lived in his apartment his entire life & is so happy to just be with us. He is lazy, but loves his walks that we give him daily. Not to mention my parents live in the suburbs nearby & we plan on providing him with weekend reprieves to their grassy backyard.
Am sorry but have to ask this question: Why on earth do people like yourself *insist* of having these big dogs and stuffing them into apartments? Rent a *house*! Have a few neighbors with dogs and cannot wait to get away from them. Damn dogs bark incessantly for no reason other than the owner leaving or someone entering and so incredibly loud. Would go one further and wish that there were weight limits and limits on how many dogs one can have *if any*. Dog owners need to learn how train their dogs if they must live in apartments.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:39 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdognyc15 View Post

Best to either work with a good broker that knows what buildings will allow, and or hit CL and other listings contacting landlords directly.

Labs and Golden Retrievers are one of the most common breeds in NYC, am sure you'll find something. It may not be easy, but there you are then.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am sorry but have to ask this question: Why on earth do people like yourself *insist* of having these big dogs and stuffing them into apartments? Rent a *house*! Have a few neighbors with dogs and cannot wait to get away from them. Damn dogs bark incessantly for no reason other than the owner leaving or someone entering and so incredibly loud. Would go one further and wish that there were weight limits and limits on how many dogs one can have *if any*. Dog owners need to learn how train their dogs if they must live in apartments.
People with large dogs in apartments in NYC have no self awareness and lack empathy.

What's worse is that these lager canines leave massive strips of defecation smeared all over the sidewalks. Then everyone else who walks by tracks it into their apartments. Its the most repulsive aspect to city living. People like the OP destroy the quality of life for everyone else.

I really wish the department of sanitization would start fining these simps for owning large breeds in the city.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
People with large dogs in apartments in NYC have no self awareness and lack empathy.

What's worse is that these lager canines leave massive strips of defecation smeared all over the sidewalks. Then everyone else who walks by tracks it into their apartments. Its the most repulsive aspect to city living. People like the OP destroy the quality of life for everyone else.

I really wish the department of sanitization would start fining these simps for owning large breeds in the city.
You are generalizing all dog owners as irresponsible, and that's not right. For every 1 scum bag with an untrained pitbull mix who doesn't pick up after the dog...you have 5 responsible dog owners, who walk around with doggy bags and take the time to train their dogs well.

You're the 'simp' for thinking its a good idea to fine people for owning a domesticated animal...having pets is natural to humans.

Also...the dog poop you see on the streets probably comes largely from Yorkies or other small breeds which are very prevalent in the city.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
I'd look for pet friendly apartment communities in lower Westchester or CT in close proximity to Metro North. Why antagonize your neighbors?

Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post

Am in agreement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
You are generalizing all dog owners as irresponsible, and that's not right. For every 1 scum bag with an untrained pitbull mix who doesn't pick up after the dog...you have 5 responsible dog owners, who walk around with doggy bags and take the time to train their dogs well.

You're the 'simp' for thinking its a good idea to fine people for owning a domesticated animal...having pets is natural to humans.

Also...the dog poop you see on the streets probably comes largely from Yorkies or other small breeds which are very prevalent in the city.
Damn straight because most of them *don't* pick up their mutts, *don't* train them and they are inconsiderate of their neighbors. It's all about their dogs. Agree with the other poster that said the city should start fining them heavily. Have signs located all over the neighborhood about picking up after your dog, and yet people refuse to do so unless they have cameras on them. Can at least let them go in a grassy area, but instead they let them go right on the sidewalk for others to step in.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Some of you alter kockers need to get a hobby or something.

Lets play count the Labs, Retrievers, and other "big dogs", how many do you see?

https://www.westsiderag.com/2017/09/...forbidden-lawn

Old 09-21-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some of you alter kockers need to get a hobby or something.

Lets play count the Labs, Retrievers, and other "big dogs", how many do you see?

https://www.westsiderag.com/2017/09/...forbidden-lawn
Enough for their owners to live in a *house* and *not* an apartment.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Enough for their owners to live in a *house* and *not* an apartment.

If you think everyone who owns a dog in Manhattan larger then a Jack Russell terrier lives in their own "house", you're dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: