Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:48 PM

108 posts, read 81,054 times

Advertisements

Most NewYorkers lack sympathy, or don't care about others.
This one time when I was about to walk down the train station's stairs, I noticed an old lady who wanted to use the handrail. Usually when it's me I immediately step out of the way when I see an injured person, elderly, obese, ect... because I know what the purpose of the handrail is for as it isn't just limited for cold snowy days. A younger Hispanic woman was in front of me, she saw the old lady, and instead of stepping out of the way and letting her use the handrail she just sucked her teeth out of frustration because she thought the old lady was in her way as she didn't feel like moving to the side. The old lady had no choice and stepped out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
Oh I do!

What pisses me off the most is on staircases (especially wide ones) when the herds come off and you're trying to go down (or up) the stairs and nobody gives you room to pass. I just make my way ON THE RIGHT and barrel right through them! When up and down staircases....stay on your F'ing right!! Thank you!
Don't get me started on the turnstiles, none of the herd want to stand in a line and let people in. Most New Yorker have "ZERO" courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,040,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
Oh I do!

What pisses me off the most is on staircases (especially wide ones) when the herds come off and you're trying to go down (or up) the stairs and nobody gives you room to pass. I just make my way ON THE RIGHT and barrel right through them! When up and down staircases....stay on your F'ing right!! Thank you!
I do the same thing. Although I have to admit that sometimes I am with the herds and am one of the ones barreling down the stairs. It's easy to get caught up in it when everyone else is streaming through and using all the stairs to descend (even the stairs that don't belong to them and should be reserved for people coming the opposite way).

Sometimes I have even found myself entering subway doors before everyone has completely exited, which I really feel is a big no-no. The reason I think I sometimes do this is because when I am there at the subway door politely waiting for passengers to exit, half the time there are aggressive, impatient people behind me who start practically pushing me over to get into the doors. It's at that point that I think I start to go in, even though not all passengers are out.

I was raised to be really considerate but I have to say that dealing with normal everyday rudeness has actually rubbed off on me and made me a little more rude (unfortunately).

Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 PM

6,052 posts, read 4,410,054 times
I hate all the above but save my RAGE for when I have to go up stairs at the end of a long day, usually lugging heavy stuff - or maybe it's raining and I'm juggling an umbrella and myself and stuff - and the (insert long string of swear words here) in front of me stops to use their d*mn phone right there on the stairs. First they slow down and I think oh no, not this, and yep, then they just stop moving because they can't walk and talk at the same time. Or walk and dial or walk and anything, and what I want them to do is MOVE. I should be legal to cattle prod those people.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:30 PM

11,576 posts, read 12,595,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitlisted212 View Post
When entering and exiting subway via stairs always keep right. Just like when you're walking on sidewalks. keep to your right.

When going UP on the escalator, stand on the right and walk on the left

When going DOWN on the escalator, you shouldn't be standing still at all unless you're physically disabled. The train stop I use by my office (bowling green 4,5 train) has an escalator going down and it boggles my mind how many people RUSH walking to get to the escalator only to immediately stop and stand still. Not trying to generalize or be mean but these same people during rush hour are most likely coming from jobs where they have been sitting on their asses all damn day. There is no legitimate reason to stand still on a DOWN escalator unless you're handicapped.

I understand that tourists and other people not familiar may not know to walk on the left side of the escalator when going up, and clog up both sides by standing. It's annoying but I at least understand that they may not be familiar. However it's a special type of person who stands when going DOWN. there is no reason or logic behind it. I don't even by into the "I'm tired" argument...walking down the escalator gets you to where you're going faster...so you can get to resting/relaxing faster.
If you have knee or ankle problems like I do, walking down the steps is a lot more painful than walking up the steps. I prefer walking up than down. However, I follow the "rules" and stay on the right when on an escalator and give room to the people walking up or down on my left. I also get annoyed when people block steps/escalator and look at their phone at inappropriate times. I have crashed into people's backs when they just "stop." Also don't like walking behind those overstuffed backpacks.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:37 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,892,101 times
If escalators are too slow for the Adderal crowd, why not have them use the STAIRS instead so they can do their glute workouts without pestering other people.
If people stood shoulder to shoulder on escalators, two on a step, the escalators could move people twice as fast.

My fave is the moron with bags and suitcases who needs to speed things up by banging against every single person as he does his lightning sprint on the left side of the elevator (and a quarter of the right side as well.)

Old 09-22-2017, 05:51 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,740,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I do the same thing. Although I have to admit that sometimes I am with the herds and am one of the ones barreling down the stairs. It's easy to get caught up in it when everyone else is streaming through and using all the stairs to descend (even the stairs that don't belong to them and should be reserved for people coming the opposite way).

Sometimes I have even found myself entering subway doors before everyone has completely exited, which I really feel is a big no-no. The reason I think I sometimes do this is because when I am there at the subway door politely waiting for passengers to exit, half the time there are aggressive, impatient people behind me who start practically pushing me over to get into the doors. It's at that point that I think I start to go in, even though not all passengers are out.

I was raised to be really considerate but I have to say that dealing with normal everyday rudeness has actually rubbed off on me and made me a little more rude (unfortunately).
I hate when you are exiting the train, behind others who are also exiting the train and someone right behind you starts pushing you because they want to get off. I usually say something like, "Uh, I'm also getting off the train." And if they are a real jerk, I might say, "Would you like me to knock everyone down in front of me."

I also hate it when you are entering a crowded train and the person right in front of you does a dead stop the second they are on. If I'm feeling particularly cheeky, I'll say loudly, "I'm on, so who cares if anyone else needs to get on. It's all about me."

Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM

8,633 posts, read 11,003,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I hate all the above but save my RAGE for when I have to go up stairs at the end of a long day, usually lugging heavy stuff - or maybe it's raining and I'm juggling an umbrella and myself and stuff - and the (insert long string of swear words here) in front of me stops to use their d*mn phone right there on the stairs. First they slow down and I think oh no, not this, and yep, then they just stop moving because they can't walk and talk at the same time. Or walk and dial or walk and anything, and what I want them to do is MOVE. I should be legal to cattle prod those people.
Phone idiots are pretty awful. They should be beaten

Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,518,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If escalators are too slow for the Adderal crowd, why not have them use the STAIRS instead so they can do their glute workouts without pestering other people.
If people stood shoulder to shoulder on escalators, two on a step, the escalators could move people twice as fast.

My fave is the moron with bags and suitcases who needs to speed things up by banging against every single person as he does his lightning sprint on the left side of the elevator (and a quarter of the right side as well.)

Yes, that's what stairs are for. There is also the slight chance that the escalator will stop suddenly (happened to me twice) and you will most likely be caught off guard and stumble down the escalator stairs.

I leave my backpack on when I ride down the escalator because I don't like people standing to close to me.
You really don't have to stand on the next step behind me if we're not related- leave some space.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM

174 posts, read 186,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitlisted212 View Post
When going DOWN on the escalator, you shouldn't be standing still at all unless you're physically disabled.
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the concept of being too lazy to walk DOWN stairs.

Unless you have a real physical ailment, I just don't get this at all.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 AM

11,576 posts, read 12,595,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the concept of being too lazy to walk DOWN stairs.

Unless you have a real physical ailment, I just don't get this at all.
Have you ever been in the any of the steep subway stations like the Fifth Ave. station? Ever try to walk down those stairs while holding the hand of a 5 year old? What if you have a heart condition or balance problems? You can't tell who has health issues by looking at them or by age. Elevators aren't always working and not all stations have them. The down escalator is still faster for moving people than small elevators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: