Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times

Advertisements

This it total, utter, bull$hi+. If people with money and (especially) skill/talent want to come to the city, the government should bend over backwards to let them in (with their money.) If people can't afford to live here, they should be shown the door. Why coddle the losers? All they do is drag the city down.

If all the poverty housing was emptied out, torn down, and redeveloped, the city would be much better off.

Also, there are only so many rich who can afford the oligarch condos. Let the developer cater to them (but without tax breaks.) Let the middle class live in the boroughs (where the always have.)

You sound like some 1970's Soviet apparatchik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you really want to know the truth, while the city makes it's money off tourism and while of course people coming here to study from all around the nation and world are essential parts of the city's economy, I think the city needs to restrict the numbers of people coming in.

The bad thing about the United States is 50 states are the size of European countries yet they have no control over state borders.

NY should be able to require that people have to get a visa to move to NY. That way unless someone had a legitimate reason to come here (school, career job, marriage) they would not be allowed to come. Having floods of people move here just because NY is supposedly cool is harming the working people who actually do all the work to make the city function. All so some fools can live here a short time and leave (many transplants soon leave, the city is a revolving door).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 03:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This it total, utter, bull$hi+. If people with money and (especially) skill/talent want to come to the city, the government should bend over backwards to let them in (with their money.) If people can't afford to live here, they should be shown the door. Why coddle the losers? All they do is drag the city down.

If all the poverty housing was emptied out, torn down, and redeveloped, the city would be much better off.

Also, there are only so many rich who can afford the oligarch condos. Let the developer cater to them (but without tax breaks.) Let the middle class live in the boroughs (where the always have.)

Or the people who were living here or who here first should show the government that wants to sell the city the door. To a degree the public did that by voting de Blasio in, and to a degree they have shown some wealthy and skilled people the door. More of that needs to be done.

The people in the public housing, if the city tried to force them out should be willing to burn the city down to the ground. Ensuring that those skilled people won't be so eager to move to the city (it would take time to rebuild).

To be realistic the city was never going to fill itself with wealthy or skilled people as those people can live anywhere they want, the chances of them permanently wanting to live in the city is next to zero.

On the other hand, the people who work to make the city was it is, the ones working in retail, civil service, etc. this is THEIR city, as NYC was historically and still is WORKING class MAJORITY.

Most New Yorkers aren't rich, and don't have advanced degrees.

What's really happened is working class people now live with 5 roommates, because of escalating rents. The masses of poor people didn't move out, they became more concentrated. And where poor people did move out, they got replaced by poor illegal immigrants. Poverty and homelessness have gone UP in the city statistically not done, so much for NYC being able to export poverty away (it cannot).

But I'm serious for the poor and working class people being willing to burn the city to the ground if they try to remove them. Remember what happens during those times? I hope you don't end up like Marie Antoinette?

And Trump's base isn't a bunch of people who want to make NYC fabulous, they are angry working class people. Consider the times, and consider what these people will do to people like you.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:51 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times

Old 09-24-2017, 04:27 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM

329 posts, read 299,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Are you going to start this ..... again?

Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Should do a tally of who owns and who rents in this forum to see if half of the people have any clue of what is going on out here. If you own, your costs are not going up nearly as quickly as those renting.

Am aware of a few that own here:

SeventhFloor
Henna
Mathjak
Airborneguy

Have others that have some *deal* or whatever, and are *not* paying market rate rent.

Am thinking I'm one of the few paying market rate prices and will be purchasing in the next 4-5 years when rents will likely reach $2000+ for studios as the new *standard*.
You forgot my man bluedog2, and welcome the new owner roseba!
Also G-Dale is a an owner, in his own hood too, salute

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-24-2017, 09:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Should do a tally of who owns and who rents in this forum to see if half of the people have any clue of what is going on out here. If you own, your costs are not going up nearly as quickly as those renting.

Am aware of a few that own here:

SeventhFloor
Henna
Mathjak
Airborneguy

Have others that have some *deal* or whatever, and are *not* paying market rate rent.

Am thinking I'm one of the few paying market rate prices and will be purchasing in the next 4-5 years when rents will likely reach $2000+ for studios as the new *standard*.
On top of that they ask for 40 times one month's salary for income on an annual basis.

Mind you in neighborhoods like the West Village, Lower East Side, Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Soho, etc a ROOM can cost 1500 at LEAST. A studio in these neighborhoods (at least in a new building is probably 3,000 a month). I remember before I started my masters program I considered living further downtown. Someone called me with a room for 2,000 a month in hells kitchen. I declined. I found something in West Harlem close to campus for $650 a month. But since then the average rent in the neighborhood has gone up, it's getting harder to find something under 800 dollars a month for a ROOM. And Harlem was the hood/ghetto not too long ago. A lot of rooms here are now 1000 a month, just for a ROOM in Harlem.

Even on the worst neighborhoods, one is going to probably spend 1,300 a month for a STUDIO.

Some people who own may have bought awhile ago or even inherited, so may not be aware of the current market costs.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I bought also. Smartest thing I ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You forgot my man bluedog2, and welcome the new owner roseba!
Also G-Dale is a an owner, in his own hood too, salute

Old 09-25-2017, 04:34 AM

148 posts, read 130,154 times
Staying in your home under rent stabilization for years also is a good move if you didn't buy. My friend has stayed in her 1 bed by the UN since 2000 and only pays $1130

Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM

181 posts, read 190,692 times
So what is the solution for people getting priced out? You can't be mad at developers for buying up vacant land in "your" neighborhood to build luxury apartments.

Just like you shouldn't be angry about people with more $ than you being able to afford to live in them. Many hate to admit it, but this is a dog eat dog world. You either sink or swim.

Some of you really try to make it seem like there is no hope at all for people living in poverty/getting priced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City