Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM

270 posts, read 145,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
There are some parents out there that don't or can't teach anything because they don't know much and, then have the arrogance to call out teachers for saying a particular kid can't keep up.
...and there are people who are not teachers who think.the job is a cakewalk. Same old complaint, different time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 01:45 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
...and there are people who are not teachers who think.the job is a cakewalk. Same old complaint, different time.
Yes, yes there are such people. I'm not one of them.

Short version; a car needs a working engine AND wheels, not one OR the other. A child is better off with the teacher AND the parent providing tutelage, not one OR the other.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:57 PM

148 posts, read 175,703 times
Many of these "underperforming schools" have a significant number of parents that, for whatever reason, aren't really around for their kids, and (sometimes) seem to add to the burdens that these kids already go through.

This means that the teachers are effectively forced to play the role of "babysitter/surrogate parent" in addition to teacher; something that they most likely were never trained to do (and, to be honest, shouldn't be).

This points to deep-seated societal problems that can't be "Band-Aided" away, no matter the amount of money that is thrown in an effort to do so. Money by itself doesn't make the problems puff out of existence -- how it is used, and over what time, might help to mitigate some of the problems, but the problem still remains. It takes a concentrated, very long-term effort (as in decades, because you are dealing with generations of decay) by the neighborhood (with some support from the government, as necessary) to overcome this, and that hasn't happened yet.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You can't make this up

When Mr. de Blasio announced the program in November 2014, he outlined a vision in stark contrast to the policies of his predecessor, Michael R. Bloomberg. Where Mr. Bloomberg closed schools that had performed poorly, opening hundreds of new, smaller schools in their place, Mr. de Blasio said that troubled schools would be wrapped in supports. He promised “fast, intense progress.”

Each school in the program has had an additional hour added to its school day. Teachers receive extra instruction in how to teach. Schools are paired with community-based organizations to address the needs of students and their families outside the classroom, like mental health counseling, dental care and help making sure students come to school. By the end of this school year, the city will have spent $582 million on Renewal.

The New York Times analyzed Renewal test scores by comparing their progress to growth of the city’s scores overall. Most schools failed to narrow the gap between their test scores and the city average.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/n...-progress.html
Bloomberg failed too.

Instruction has minimal impact on these kids.

Make NYCDOE public school report cards report on amount of parents who attend parent/teacher conferences. I bet there's a huge correlation between somewhat involved family, and school performance.

Shame the families, and put consequences back on the students.
... alas, something lost in the last 8 years+ of liberal leadership.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
NYC Schools should teach parents how to parent, no joke

Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Bloomberg failed too.

Instruction has minimal impact on these kids.

Make NYCDOE public school report cards report on amount of parents who attend parent/teacher conferences. I bet there's a huge correlation between somewhat involved family, and school performance.

Shame the families, and put consequences back on the students.
... alas, something lost in the last 8 years+ of liberal leadership.
Pretty much, all he did was closed failing high schools especially in Jamaica and funneled all the problems into the good areas. Doesnt take a genius to figure out what happened. Hence there are no highly rated local high schools in NYC anymore.

Even if you have charters come in and take over those high schools, the best case scenario is that they'll get those on the borderline to pass and become D students and those that still fail will get nudged out and poison other public schools. That's essentially how many charters have succeeded in the lower grades.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Well, first, yes, you could make it up.

Second, it's not so unusual to spend money on a program that eventually doesn't work out. It's also true that BDB is sincerely interested in education, and it sounds like some of the plans were good ones.

Third, it's hard to wan to bother with someone slinging insulting slurs.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
yep, the parents are the biggest problem with failing kids. And those kids disrupt and ruin it for everybody else
There are plenty of bad teachers. However, many schools are failures because of ****ty parents.

It's all about the parents.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Yes, yes there are such people. I'm not one of them.

Short version; a car needs a working engine AND wheels, not one OR the other. A child is better off with the teacher AND the parent providing tutelage, not one OR the other.
Not true and other countries with excellent primary education systems realize this. Look at China, Russia, etc. Parents are responsible for the success of their child much more than any teacher.

I didn't do well in school because I wanted to impress my teachers or because I was afraid of them. I did well because I wanted to impress my parents and I was afraid of my father's wrath if I did poorly. lol Furthermore, my teacher didn't teach me to behave, be disciplined, and respect my teachers. It was my parents.

If you're a ****ty parent, there is no teacher in this world that will be able to fix your child.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:48 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Not true and other countries with excellent primary education systems realize this. Look at China, Russia, etc. Parents are responsible for the success of their child much more than any teacher.

I didn't do well in school because I wanted to impress my teachers or because I was afraid of them. I did well because I wanted to impress my parents and I was afraid of my father's wrath if I did poorly. lol Furthermore, my teacher didn't teach me to behave, be disciplined, and respect my teachers. It was my parents.

If you're a ****ty parent, there is no teacher in this world that will be able to fix your child.
Well, there are cases where the children have surpassed the limitations of their upbringing because of their education. Of course, crappy parents don't usually put their kids in good schools so it's very hard to tell. Also, I said "better off" with a good teacher AND a good parent.

Also, isn't it a good parent's job to hold teachers accountable, seeing as our taxes pay their salary and all...? It's a rhetorical question...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City