Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:41 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

it was up a lot the beginning of the year . it would fall or rise sometimes 2% in a day , sometimes even more . etf's can be soooo volatile . i would buy it , it would jump a few percent , i would sell it and wash and repeat . it is soooooo volatile ,sometimes 2 to 3x what the s&p 500 moves so it was a good trading vehicle .

small changes over and over can generate quite a bit of dow just riding the tide . i have not traded it in months as small cap value died . it was up 30% last year so it was still swinging quite a bit up to about march or so .

the swings in gold were another good one . so volatile . just keep washing and repeating . market fear ebbs buy it . next news spike, sell it . 30x i did that since just january . . don't own any trading position at the moment just my portfolio . but i will post the next trade when i pop in something . you can short it ha ha ha.

it is all seat of the pants . but i am strict on discipline . if a trade moves against me instead of up i get out pretty quick . sometimes i will let it pop a tiny amount up and if it wasn't what i expected it to do the day after a sell off , it is gone . you can see a lot of low value losses and profits . that means i guessed wrong , at least for that trade and moment .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-29-2017 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Then how do you explain large stock index falls every time the fed raises rates a quarter percent, or even HINTS it might do so.

Oh well, if the fed finally decides to curtail inflation, perhaps I will be able to get myself some 15% CD's like my mom left me when she died.
dow just closed the quarter today with the 8th consecutive quarterly gain , the first time in 20 years . nasdaq broke a new high today too.

that is with the rising rates and fed speak of more . don't try to predict rates and effects , the first lesson of successful investing .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-29-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Greenspan was celebrated for keeping interest rates so low. If interest rates were higher, not only would it be more difficult to finance new construction projects and mortgages, the stock market would be lower and that too would effect real estate in NY.

And when I said extremely high real estate prices, I was not speaking of 25 million dollar condos. Blake made that up. I was speaking of the insane rental market that makes even ghettos too expensive for working class people. $1300 to live in a studio in the Bronx is extremely high, when in the 1990s one could have gotten a studio in Manhattan for under $1000.

Quote:
No, we aren't. There are specific reasons why the fed keeps interest rates so low. If they raised interest rates, the stock market and related wealth would go DOWN in coastal areas, and so would real estate prices.

The outrageously high prices affecting working class people are the result of public policy. Starting at the fed, and federal and state tax credits don't help either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Rates skyrocketed in the 1970's because the Fed raised them in an attempt to curtail the inflationary spiral set off by the high (by old standards) federal borrowing to pay for the Vietnam war.

The only way to battle inflation is by raising the cost of money (aka interest rate.) Cheap money is by definition inflationary. When money has little perceived value, people will buy ANYTHING rather than hold cash. And that is why real estate prices are bid higher and higher. "Here, take my worthless money and give me your apartment building or your stock. Not enough money? Here's MORE!"

The Fed is destroying this economy for purely political reasons.
Quote:
If Congress authorities some variation of Trump's infrastructure plan and Trump requires that to be made in America, watch inflation go up and watch both the fed and the federal government curtail it when they have to. In times of high inflation governments raise interest rates, increase the reserve requirements of banks, raise certain taxes, etc. As easily as public policy made the coastal city real estate boom it will one day undo it. All of you know it, and it is a scary thought.

This is insanity. I don't even know where to begin.

THE PROBLEM WITH NYC RE IS CITY POLICY AND GOVERNANCE WHICH CREATES A EXTREME LACK OF SUPPLY. IT'S NOT THE FED. IT'S NOT WEALTHY INT'L BUYERS. IT'S NOT THE TOOTH FAIRY.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:23 PM

hey , stop letting facts get in the way of their good stories .

Old 09-30-2017, 08:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Gotta blame someone, but they could never let it be from within the political party they support so dearly. That goes for both housing and education, and many a other things as well.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 PM

of course . any time you don't really understand how something works or what really caused it , just blame the fed or some political party . usually it is because they parrot other mis-informed people .

Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
of course . any time you don't really understand how something works or what really caused it , just blame the fed or some political party . usually it is because they parrot other mis-informed people .
Highly educated non-professional people stuck in academia always tend to know the inner workings of everything without even being engrained within the operations themselves. Too many variables for God itself, yet they got it all figured out. If they new it all they would have no need to collect all these additional unnecessary degrees.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Gotta blame someone, but they could never let it be from within the political party they support so dearly. That goes for both housing and education, and many a other things as well.
When have I not been critical of the Democratic Party? Criticizing the Democratic Party does not mean I'm a supporter of the even worse Republican Party. The Trump administration has said that it's okay to fire people because of their sexuality. Why would I support that?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Highly educated non-professional people stuck in academia always tend to know the inner workings of everything without even being engrained within the operations themselves. Too many variables for God itself, yet they got it all figured out. If they new it all they would have no need to collect all these additional unnecessary degrees.
I worked in financial services. At a broker dealer. And yes, the fed had a direct effect on the financial markets. Many of the operations jobs I did or could have done were moved out of the city or outsourced to temp agencies, so long term employment in that sector became unviable. The Clinton administration was horrible on labor rights and so was the Bush administration.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
It won't be long for the Fed to change courses soon as Yellen will be stepping down next year. She didn't do much she merely continued what Bernanke was doing and she did get political as she held the rates steady when the election was taking place hoping to give Hillary a boost. But Wall St. ain't buying that, QE was already doing toxic things had Hillary won the election we would get a small rally then the market would tank because she wouldn't know what to do with the economy. She said she'll defer the economy to Bill to handle business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City