Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, some of you just need to stop the ranting and raving regarding Mitchell-Lama housing.

First and foremost it is just pure envy or anger about not being able to avail of such things that are behind most of these nasty comments I shouldn't wonder.

How can you blame someone who did exactly what the city and state wanted at the time? Were any of you even born in 1955 and or in a position during 1960's through 1970's to even get into one of these programs on the ground floor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitche...ousing_Program

Mitchell-Lama Housing Program
I'm pretty sure he was born in like 1981
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:42 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, some of you just need to stop the ranting and raving regarding Mitchell-Lama housing.

First and foremost it is just pure envy or anger about not being able to avail of such things that are behind most of these nasty comments I shouldn't wonder.

How can you blame someone who did exactly what the city and state wanted at the time? Were any of you even born in 1955 and or in a position during 1960's through 1970's to even get into one of these programs on the ground floor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitche...ousing_Program

Mitchell-Lama Housing Program
Just because the city or state wanted it or whatever, doesn't mean taxpayers agree. Am not sure what made you think such a thing.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:30 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times
yet they're all going to vote for him

deblasio does not care about them.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:46 PM

34,000 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You bought into an extremely limited government program which by it's nature is not available to majority of New Yorkers. While this is good for you personally, it isn't a solution to NY's housing issues.
And what does this have to do with the thread? Isn't the thread about East Harlem's re-zoning? What does me living in M-L have to do with it? If re-zoning to allow higher density isnt going to solve the housing crisis, then what is? A lot of complaining, and no brainstorming.

The truth is most human beings are selfish and are willing to take as much as being given. The ones complaining are the ones who have the most to lose. All I speak is the truth. Who's willing to take a pay cut for the sake of their company? Anybody? Lets see the generosity pour.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-07-2017, 07:10 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm pretty sure he was born in like 1981

Which makes some of the moaning here over ML housing even worse. The poster was able to make a move that served him well; again what were the rest of you doing in 1981?

It is like those who moan about tenants in below market RS apartments.

Late as the early 1990's (while NYC was still in yet another recession), it wasn't that difficult to find a RS apartment, often for a bit below going market rate for a neighborhood. But too many persons then as they had during the post war years (1960's through really 1990's) were busy fleeing to the suburbs, and or only came into the city for various reasons, but didn't want to live.

Fast forward twenty years or so NYC has changed, but those tenants are still where they were, and that isn't anyone's "fault". They simply played/abided by the rules/laws that were on the ground at that time.

Same thing with affordable housing lotteries, which have been around at least since the 1980's IIRC.

Did you know Westbeth in West Village began as a type of "affordable housing"? Ditto for the apartments along Washington Avenue that start across from Westbeth and go towards Christopher Street. Back in the days when the area was full of gays getting their freak on in dark alleys or warehouses, and or trannie hookers plying the streets, few wanted to live down there. Those that did are now sitting on some very valuable real estate thanks to the High Line Park and revitalization of that part of West Village/Chelsea.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:39 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're right. I should keep quiet because I bought what I could afford instead of renting.
You should keep quiet if you're benefitting from a government program and then telling others to eat **** and that they don't deserve to.

No one is saying what you did was wrong or that you shouldn't have. Have some humility.

Don't be that congressman who votes against abortion and then asks his mistress to have one.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You should keep quiet if you're benefitting from a government program and then telling others to eat **** and that they don't deserve to.

No one is saying what you did was wrong or that you shouldn't have. Have some humility.

Don't be that congressman who votes against abortion and then asks his mistress to have one.
Hear how you sound.....I should keep quiet....my living situation has nothing to do with their neighborhood issue, so I dont see why it keeps getting re-introduced....as I have stated before, why not try asking the M-L in East Harlem how they feel about this.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:31 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hear how you sound.....I should keep quiet....my living situation has nothing to do with their neighborhood issue, so I dont see why it keeps getting re-introduced....as I have stated before, why not try asking the M-L in East Harlem how they feel about this.
I sound like I'm not full of ****.

I agree that private industry should be able to build whatever and wherever they want. I also believe that there shouldn't be any M-L, section 8, zoning, affordable housing, 420-a, etc.

You on the other hand are a total hypocrite. You've benefitted and continue to benefit from a government program yet you want others to not be protected by the government as you were. There are a lot of Americans like you and it's rather shameful.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I sound like I'm not full of ****.

I agree that private industry should be able to build whatever and wherever they want. I also believe that there shouldn't be any M-L, section 8, zoning, affordable housing, 420-a, etc.

You on the other hand are a total hypocrite. You've benefitted and continue to benefit from a government program yet you want others to not be protected by the government as you were. There are a lot of Americans like you and it's rather shameful.
You're right. I am a hypocrite. I should have more sympathy towards my rent-stabilized brethren. Maybe the landlord shouldn't charge them the property tax in their rent to make it even then. Rent-stabilized tenants need protection!

FYI - quite simply, I see renting as a temporary solution, like how I rented a non-rent stabilized apartment before I bought my apartment. The people who are complaining are simply the ones attempting to make a permanent solution out of a temporary one.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
I think most people have a right to be hating on the B-tch Llamas. Yeah it's mostly out of jealousy, what isn't when it comes down to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City