Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:29 PM

71 posts, read 63,708 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what the monthly service fee is for G and E? A friend of mine just moved into an apt and her first con ed bill was almost $70 for 100 kw and 0 therms. Seems very excessive to me, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. She never got an actual bill this was online so she can't check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip flops 3878 View Post
Anyone know what the monthly service fee is for G and E? A friend of mine just moved into an apt and her first con ed bill was almost $70 for 100 kw and 0 therms. Seems very excessive to me, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. She never got an actual bill this was online so she can't check.
You can check the actual bill online once you log into the account.

I've been complaining about this for a few years, ever since I moved. Con Ed charges insanely high service fees - my usage is usually pretty low, but my bill is never under $80 because of them. They're standard, unfortunately.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Thanks, she tried and she can't seem to see the actual bill. This seems really absurd to me and also I know people who have lower bills. It seems you can't get a bill under $50 even if you're gone for the month and using nothing (according to these excessive svc fees)

Old 10-04-2017, 12:46 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
You can check the actual bill online once you log into the account.

I've been complaining about this for a few years, ever since I moved. Con Ed charges insanely high service fees - my usage is usually pretty low, but my bill is never under $80 because of them. They're standard, unfortunately.
unfortunately the utility has to provide you with the capacity for drawing whatever your service limit is sized for whether you choose to make use of it or not. that capacity and ability has to be there and waiting ..

the wires in the street and all the distribution gear are sized for what your capacity and others could be , not your tiny usage , those things are in place because the next person may use a whole lot more . so the cost of having this network in place is shared by everyone regardless of actual personal usage .

think of it like cable tv , you don't pay based on how much you watch . , you pay based on the fact they have to deliver you everything you get so at ANY MOMENT IT IS THERE AND WAITING . you can watch for a minute or for days , it all has to be fed to you just the same

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-04-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Con Ed is very expensive

First bills are often very illusive and often very wrong.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:00 PM

the epa is very tough on con ed . con ed is still in that green house gas agreement and those credits are expensive . many states dropped out like new jersey .

making power that is not hyroelectric is a very dirty business . con ed has to purchase credits from companies with excess credits and they are a lot of money .

the cost of unions , pay levels and benefits are also very high here . we also have an underground service that is protected from storms unlike long island . an underground service is brutally expensive and that is why few areas have them . but as anyone who lives in long island or upstate can tell you , well worth it .

everything cost more here because the cost of doing business is so much higher here. there is not one aspect of anything that does not cost more in nyc .

the power generation side is a lot different than the distribution side . any excess power we don't consume gets sold on the grid. those generators make money every second they turn . but not the distribution side to us users . they have fixed costs so if you are using less power the delivery charges are like having a minimum delivery service charge .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-04-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Con Ed is very expensive

First bills are often very illusive and often very wrong.
Her first bill was $23 for two days svc. It took many calls to have that adjusted as they were charging according to lease start date (15) vs when she moved in and had svc turned on (29).

Old 10-04-2017, 02:21 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
unfortunately the utility has to provide you with the capacity for drawing whatever your service limit is sized for whether you choose to make use of it or not. that capacity and ability has to be there and waiting ..

the wires in the street and all the distribution gear are sized for what your capacity and others could be , not your tiny usage , those things are in place because the next person may use a whole lot more . so the cost of having this network in place is shared by everyone regardless of actual personal usage .

think of it like cable tv , you don't pay based on how much you watch . , you pay based on the fact they have to deliver you everything you get so at ANY MOMENT IT IS THERE AND WAITING . you can watch for a minute or for days , it all has to be fed to you just the same
Oh, I understand it, you've explained this to me in the past. I still don't think it's right or like it

Old 10-04-2017, 03:00 PM

me too!!!! but it is what it is .

Old 10-04-2017, 04:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Has it occurred to her to pick up the telephone and call them to inquire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City