Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You missed his point. The writer of the article may have no technical background, and the MTA maybe using NFC.
I was agreeing with him—yes, maybe the writer doesn’t know what they’re writing about and it’s why both what he wrote and the possible solution is a headscratcher. It’s either an incompetent ny writer dude just throwing stuff around for the article or it really is a pilot for a bad half-step. The article itself points really strongly towards the latter.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-13-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was agreeing with him—yes, maybe the writer doesn’t know what they’re writing about and it’s why both what he wrote and the possible solution is a headscratcher. It’s either an incompetent ny writer dude just throwing stuff around for the article or it really is a pilot for a bad half-step. The article itself points really strongly towards the latter.
That's just one article and you cannot for sure know what the MTA is doing from just one article. If you base everything on just this writer's account you're as incompetent as they are.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Not reality thats for sure.

Yah thats why I just had to wait 19 minutes for a train at 8pm?!?!

When I take the train in the early am its often over a 20 minute wait and then the train goes local. And the poor people who have to transfer. That could mean waiting twice 20 minutes. Takes me forever to get home.
If there's construction in the tunnels at night the train runs slowly as well. Not too fun.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 AM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
That's just one article and you cannot for sure know what the MTA is doing from just one article. If you base everything on just this writer's account you're as incompetent as they are.
One article plus article it cites which includes a picture. The picture definitely looks like an optical scanner on a NYC subway turnstile. The article cited seem to point the same way with mention of QR codes and the eTix program.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:48 AM

444 posts, read 385,071 times
Quote:
True, but daily use of the MTA system has shown people how incompetent and wasteful the agency can be. So I can see them putting a system in place that really isn’t practical.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 AM

268 posts, read 143,275 times
Makes me wish we could go back to using tokens again. Buy what you need and use them when you need them. Tokens will be used, collected and resold, thus eliminating the problem with litter.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm curious how they can be better with the "on time" thing, with NYC's subway having such small headway. I never even look at the subway schedule, I just go to the station and wait a small amount of time each time I ride the subway. Even late at night.

I agree, although "late at night" doesn't apply anymore. After midnight I'm tucked in for the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: