Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverjobs View Post
Would prefer to live in lower Manhattan than commute from Jersey City/Hoboken, at least for my first is it possible to get a studio in lower Manhattan for under $1800 a month? I have not seen anything in that range online...
No. That is why we are recommending what we have so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 AM

11 posts, read 14,624 times
well I guess I will be living with roommates. Haha

Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverjobs View Post
well I guess I will be living with roommates. Haha
How many roommates will you be getting?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Yes, you'll need a roommate. Either check craigslist, or try the Facebook groups that have been popping up lately to connect potential roommates with one another. I don't have any specific groups to suggest but I'm sure they are there.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 AM

782 posts, read 527,177 times
Some people on this board are so oddly anti-roommate. If you work long hours and/or are new to the city, you want to be close to work and nightlife. Practically everyone I know lived with roommates at one point and this includes people who were making 6 figures in their early to mid 20s.

Anyway, most neighborhoods in lower Manhattan are fine for your budget with roommates. Do you want to be able to walk to work? The Financial District is more quiet but there are many luxury buildings with nice apartments. Tribeca is good with a lot of restaurants though it seems slightly more family-oriented to me. Neighborhoods with more active nightlife are slightly further away....the West Village, Chelsea, Soho, the East Village, the Lower East Side. You can check on Google Maps for approximate commutes times...it's fairly accurate when it comes to estimating walking and mass transit.

Since you plan to live with roommates, you'll be able to save a decent amount. Though how much exactly depends on your lifestyle, how much you like to spend on going out, how much on traveling, etc.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
You're new to the city, so this probably won't apply, but I find living with someone who you're pretty good friends with and can deal with mentality really helps. It's how I knocked down my rent to $800/mo in the LES. That also being said, my apartment is $1600 total, but I can't guarantee you'll find that price point anymore. I'm able to fully fund my 401k, ira, etc and have a lot left over each month.

I also don't really care for dating anymore, so that doesn't come into my considerations, which makes me a little biased one way or another. YMMV

Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Some people on this board are so oddly anti-roommate. If you work long hours and/or are new to the city, you want to be close to work and nightlife. Practically everyone I know lived with roommates at one point and this includes people who were making 6 figures in their early to mid 20s.

Anyway, most neighborhoods in lower Manhattan are fine for your budget with roommates. Do you want to be able to walk to work? The Financial District is more quiet but there are many luxury buildings with nice apartments. Tribeca is good with a lot of restaurants though it seems slightly more family-oriented to me. Neighborhoods with more active nightlife are slightly further away....the West Village, Chelsea, Soho, the East Village, the Lower East Side. You can check on Google Maps for approximate commutes times...it's fairly accurate when it comes to estimating walking and mass transit.

Since you plan to live with roommates, you'll be able to save a decent amount. Though how much exactly depends on your lifestyle, how much you like to spend on going out, how much on traveling, etc.
Yes it's *odd* to be independent instead of being a grown-up shacking up with strangers.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 AM

994 posts, read 1,057,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes it's *odd* to be independent instead of being a grown-up shacking up with strangers.
Its a millennial thing, we'll never get it

Old 10-09-2017, 10:09 AM

59 posts, read 64,905 times
I think the odd thing is someone going out of their way to ramble on and on about roommates on multiple threads? Get a hobby.

I don't think anyone here is going to change OP's mind on this.

Anyway, with that budget it gives you lots of options around the city in nice areas. Not going to find a decent $1,800 studios in lower Manhattan.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,677 times
I thought studios go for around $3000 around FiDi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: