Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 AM

88 posts, read 61,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Freedom of speech ≠ freedom from consequences. A professional boxer may not agree with me that I think his mother is a fat *****, and if he knocked me out I wouldn't moan about him hitting me.

Stop assuming that everyone is holier than thou and can rationalize under stress. Moral of the story is take accountability for your own actions.
Well I didn't hear him personally insult someone's mother or family member. I think that would be a different story. And even if he did it would only be OK if that single person who was personally insulted punched him. But now the whole train ganged up on him and even robbed him of his possessions.

There are a lot of times I feel like punching someone for being annoying in public. Doesn't mean I will or that I should. If everyone attacked anyone who they didn't agree with then the society would turn into chaos. Sure this man was an a-hole, and he was annoying, but that's all he was. Homeless people who harass you for change, people who smell, crack heads shouting etc are also annoying. Doesn't mean we have the right to physically attack them.

Also, if you have any self worth you don't get upset over what some lowlife on the train says.

Last edited by Charles XII; 10-11-2017 at 05:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 06:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles XII View Post
Not that I agree with what he said but he did not deserve to be beaten and have his bag stolen. What makes people think that just because someone doesn't agree with you, that you can assault them and steal from them? He was a drunk, they should've just ignored the man.
More like he's not worth our time to get a beating. I ride the L often. Depending on the mood after a long day of work, I may have given him a beating. Not necessarily for being racist, but for being obnoxious.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not every last white person who rides the L train is a liberal/hippie

And Bedford Avenue is not really the hipster capital anymore, I would give that title to the Jefferson St stop
As proof, I'm an L train rider. Halsey stop.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:08 AM

444 posts, read 386,892 times
Personally I would have gotten in his face and started yelling racist and insulting comments right back. I would have been like a 5 year old.
Obnoxious just like him, call him pathetic, lazy, ask if his job knows about his subway hobby...
I can be Peppermint Petty and I wouldn't have thrown a punch.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 AM

636 posts, read 610,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Freedom of speech ≠ freedom from consequences. A professional boxer may not agree with me that I think his mother is a fat *****, and if he knocked me out I wouldn't moan about him hitting me.

Stop assuming that everyone is holier than thou and can rationalize under stress. Moral of the story is take accountability for your own actions.
Again, just because someone says something offensive doesn't give you the legal right to assault them. Try arguing verbal provocation as a defense in front of a judge and see how that goes.

In this case the guy is pretty unsympathetic, but this whole self-righteous mentality of "confrontation" sets a dangerous precedent. There are always gonna be idiots in the world with whom you disagree or find offensive, you gonna fight them all? Or KIM and live your own life without letting others that mean nothing to you decide where you're going to focus your energy?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 AM

120 posts, read 186,196 times
I didn't watch it because I'm sure it would bother me but I have little sympathy for racists. I can't blame anyone for kicking his ass just like I have no problem with people beating up or punching Nazis.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:54 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,586,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
So people aren’t allowed to get angry at racism?

Wow...
Not precisely. I’m saying don’t be baited into fighting with idiots just because they beg you to. What’s that make you look like?

Old 10-11-2017, 07:02 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Not precisely. I’m saying don’t be baited into fighting with idiots just because they beg you to. What’s that make you look like?
There are really no good option. It is demeaning to allow someone to yell at you with racist slurs and at the same time it looks bad to get into a confrontation. I suppose the best you can do is video record them and publicly shame them.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Booze didn't make this guy do that. All it does is loosen your inhibitions, and bring whatever you repressed out. This guy had hardcore racist feelings deep down inside, and he let them out when he was too drunk to restrain himself. And he got his ass kicked because of it.

Making hate and the desire to do racial violence about booze and drugs is an evasion of how hateful people are. You don't need drugs or alcohol to be racist or to persecute people of other races.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Booze didn't make this guy do that. All it does is loosen your inhibitions, and bring whatever you repressed out. This guy had hardcore racist feelings deep down inside, and he let them out when he was too drunk to restrain himself. And he got his ass kicked because of it.

Making hate and the desire to do racial violence about booze and drugs is an evasion of how hateful people are. You don't need drugs or alcohol to be racist or to persecute people of other races.
SJW much do you?

You can get angry at racism. No doubt about that, but their is no law that allows people to physically attack a racist. Their is no law that is allowed to arrest racist for being verbal. The only thing that can happen to racist is if he she is to loose his or her job, and folks must try their best to destroy or upend the racists reputation which is still difficult to do, and believe me people will spend their free time to destroy someones life over the N word. Those people who destroy peoples lives over a word are just as crazy or even more crazy as some one saying a slur. Attacking a racist is not going to do anything. Just hope their is a black female or Jewish judge which many are in NYC that favor with the straphangers who used physical abuse on the drunk racist so charges against those attacked the racist will be dropped. Physically attacking a racist will just cause more trouble.

Right now in this country, we live in an age of insensitivity. Say something out of line, a good chance you will be out of a job. Look at Jemele Hill from ESPN who called Trump a White Supremacist and now ESPN gave her a suspension. I support Jemele HIll btw. Or a firefighter in Detroit who brought a watermelon to work and was fired due to a watermelon being a stereotype for black people. People must use their words properly. People can use hateful words improperly due to being drunk, anger, or comical purposes, but people will take offense to it and become triggered. Than you have folks who say things hateful not while being drunk, not by being in anger, and not for comedy, those that do that are real racist. Sadly liberals and SJW types don't see the big picture.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-11-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City