Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I was about to say, did you forget snow storms or the threat of a storm? lol Also, since their routes are fixed, they're done when they're done.

Either way sanitation is a tough job physically (those that actually collect garbage, not the ticketing or driving that stupid street cleaning truck) and more dangerous than being a cop.

IMHO DSNY should start higher, as the job is very physically demanding including being out in all sorts of weather/conditions. Watched guys today slinging those heavy bags; yet many seem to think the job is "easy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:52 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Know of more than a few EMT/Paramedics who went into nursing. A new grad RN in NYC *starts* at middle seventies and goes up to nearly ninety-two. Seasoned nurses earn more, especially if they pick up some OT, which many do.
Pretty much anyone in the medical field: from EMTs to RNs to MDs will likely pick up OT more often than not. I used to get OT sometimes even when I worked part time.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Jesus, no wonder city workers have bad attitudes...

Ones who have bad attitudes are stuck in low level/clerical and or want to move into say uniformed services or administration/commissioner level but can't make it happen.

Everyone else knows things are what they are and how to make things happen for them. As have often said, go out to SI or parts of Brooklyn; plenty of NYS or NYS civil servants living very well and are quite happy.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Pretty much anyone in the medical field: from EMTs to RNs to MDs will likely pick up OT more often than not. I used to get OT sometimes even when I worked part time.

IIRC NYC/de Blasio is doing same as private industry; giving out OT instead of hiring. Have heard same about certain state agencies such as the MTA.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:25 AM

954 posts, read 939,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I’ll add EMS to the list which was left out:

EMTs start at $33K and go up to $47K after 5 years

Paramedics start at $45K and go up to $61K after 5 years.

Pretty ****ty pay especially compared to cops and firefighters but the $61K is decent NYC middle class at least.
This is CRAZY. Why is the pay so low for such an important job? I never understood this. These guys are are the first ones to reach people who need serious medical attention. Why are they making less than the person making my coffee??? Outrageous!

I don’t buy that OT crap. If you have to work extra, then it’s not your real salary. Even with that some of these are still crazy low.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:48 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
That is the other benefit of civil service. Go in as a low level say NYPD or whatever and work your way up through the ranks to a commissioner or whatever. Again for your average working to middle class guy from say Staten Island or Brooklyn with a degree from CUNY, SUNY or one of the local private colleges (with or without a high GPA), this is about as good as things get.
This is a major oversimplification. Very, very few people will rise above DI in the NYPD without advanced degrees. A decent number of Chiefs are actual attorneys who have passed the Bar. My current chief is one of them. Commissioners are experts in the field they cover, many weren’t ever uniform cops.

I kick myself all the time for not continuing into law school when I was young on the job. My thought then was “What’s the point? I don’t want to be a lawyer.” I viewed it back then as a choice between being a cop or working in my grandfather’s small firm, rather than the path from cop to chief.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
This is CRAZY. Why is the pay so low for such an important job? I never understood this. These guys are are the first ones to reach people who need serious medical attention. Why are they making less than the person making my coffee??? Outrageous!

I don’t buy that OT crap. If you have to work extra, then it’s not your real salary. Even with that some of these are still crazy low.
EMS is very likely the most underpaid job in this whole region. It’s sickening. They have a weak union that has allowed the workers to be abused for generations.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:55 AM

425 posts, read 391,667 times
https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-G...nzjr-3966/data

Open access to most titles in the city with starting and max official salaries.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,105 times
Quote:
City has been reining in OT for DSNY for some time it seems. Know for years now when regular collection day falls on a legal holiday Sanitation no longer sends out trucks starting 12:01 the next day; trash remains until the next regularly scheduled collection. Maybe guys can get some extra work then, I don't know.

Our trash was supposed to be collected Monday (Columbus Day) and it wasn't picked up until around 9PM tonight.

DSNY rakes it in during snow storms. Sadly for them New York City winters aren't what they once were.

Once again the know it all king of the rock has no clue what he's talking about.

You obviously live on a block/section that gets flagged for the 2nd pickup. It's called logistics. You can't magically pick up all the Monday trash and the Tuesday trash in one day. Not enough trucks or man power, so certain routes are flagged for the 2nd pick up on Thursday.

Doesn't mean people aren't out there working, but because YOUR precious trash wasn't whisked away at 12:01 something must be up right? LOL

Every holiday there is still a huge shift that comes in at 12 am to do the Monday backlog. It's not OT you pleeb it's a regular shift.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:56 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Once again the know it all king of the rock has no clue what he's talking about.

You obviously live on a block/section that gets flagged for the 2nd pickup. It's called logistics. You can't magically pick up all the Monday trash and the Tuesday trash in one day. Not enough trucks or man power, so certain routes are flagged for the 2nd pick up on Thursday.

Doesn't mean people aren't out there working, but because YOUR precious trash wasn't whisked away at 12:01 something must be up right? LOL

Every holiday there is still a huge shift that comes in at 12 am to do the Monday backlog. It's not OT you pleeb it's a regular shift.
Beat me to it... DSNY, most misunderstood job out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City