Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 PM

149 posts, read 458,290 times

Advertisements

Hello, while doing my searches for places to live I found a definate shortage of rentals that allow dogs. It's not a suprise, I experienced the same thing in Orlando and Los Angeles when moving also. I started this thread to hear from people who own dogs in NY.

Where do you live and what is your experience?

Thanks!

For the record I have big Lab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I sold my apartment and bought another one 2 1/2 blocks away in order to get a dog...it's even harder with rentals!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
I have a 110 pound Rotty/Shepherd mix and needless to say there are few if any LLs that would even consider me. Hard to find a place and you will likely have to settle for something wya below what you want...but keep trying.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM

D*** that's a big dog!! I bet nobody comes remotely close to you when you got the pooch on a walk.

It is a bit dissapointing the lack of results. I understand that places that are very urban not allowing dogs. But I've been looking around the outer boroughs in some relatively suburban places. I was just hoping to see where other people with dogs lived.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
I am in Mott Haven, and you will probably have better luck with less desireable neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:34 PM

191 posts, read 900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
Hello, while doing my searches for places to live I found a definate shortage of rentals that allow dogs. It's not a suprise, I experienced the same thing in Orlando and Los Angeles when moving also. I started this thread to hear from people who own dogs in NY.

Where do you live and what is your experience?

Thanks!

For the record I have big Lab.
its a pain trying to get an apartment with a dog, especially a BIG one. The one thing you have going for you is that its a LAB and not a pit or rotty or dobi. Even places that allow dogs will probably ask to see the dog or flat out prohibit "bad" dogs like the ones mentioned above. i had to lie and say my pit was a mutt just to get my apartment, but shes only 70 pounds and so cute!

the biggest problems are thin walls, elevators, and racism. No one wants to hear your dog everytime your phone rings, bell rings, another dog barks, etc. People are also scared to get into an elevator with a big dog so they complain to building management. And for some unkown reason, everyone in brooklyn is petrified of dogs (or at least a big latino walking a pitbull).

Old 03-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The crazy thing to me is that bigger dogs tend to be better mannered. That's a broad statement I realize but my god have you ever lived next to someone with a small dog? Out here it's so freakin trendy to have little chihuas and lap dogs. I swear that there is a guy I see walking his dog at night, but he just carries it in a purse. Unbelievable.

My neighbors on both sides of me have small dogs that never shut up. Never hear a peep out of my dog unless someone bangs on my door. Then when you walk down the street people will literally go out of their way to avoid you. That's for a Lab. I can't imagine the reactions you must get to a Pitt or Rotty!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM

191 posts, read 900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
Thanks for the input guys. The crazy thing to me is that bigger dogs tend to be better mannered. That's a broad statement I realize but my god have you ever lived next to someone with a small dog? Out here it's so freakin trendy to have little chihuas and lap dogs. I swear that there is a guy I see walking his dog at night, but he just carries it in a purse. Unbelievable.

My neighbors on both sides of me have small dogs that never shut up. Never hear a peep out of my dog unless someone bangs on my door. Then when you walk down the street people will literally go out of their way to avoid you. That's for a Lab. I can't imagine the reactions you must get to a Pitt or Rotty!
totally true.. my pit makes no noise at all unless the bell or buzzer rings, then its 3 barks and she stares at the door. I also have a stupid little min-pin that never shuts his friggin trap.

as for the avoidance issue. its kinda funny.. i walk down the block with my pit and the min-pin and people dont know what to think. but then reality sets in and they usually walk in the street to avoid BOTH dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City