Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 PM

296 posts, read 481,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
All windows should come with screens available. Especially with Zika virus and everything else communicated by mosquitoes.

I guess landlords think everyone runs either their heat or their AC all year.

With some of the modern windows, it's very hard to fit screens. The size could be enormous, as the OP says, or the window is a casement style that opens in instead of out.

I'm lucky that my landlord sells screens for our windows.
Thanks, that good to know. Yes, our landlord would want we do that on your own. That what the super said. The windows are very huge and opens in. More over, landlord's service clean and wash them every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 06:51 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Windows that open inward can be tricky. That means the screen has to be attached on the outside of the window with clips. It can be done, and I know that because two of my windows are like that. But it's not the easiest.

Also, though, check your lease. A friend of mine is living in an 80/20, and her lease says that nothing can be attached to the outside of the window. I guess the landlord doesn't want dishes out there.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Question lyla45

Quote:
Windows that open inward can be tricky. That means the screen has to be attached on the outside of the window with clips. It can be done, and I know that because two of my windows are like that. But it's not the easiest.

Also, though, check your lease. A friend of mine is living in an 80/20, and her lease says that nothing can be attached to the outside of the window. I guess the landlord doesn't want dishes out there.
My building is also affordable lottery building. I thought already about the mechanical window screens. But not sure of because windows opens in. I will read my lease too, thanks for pointing it.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:11 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
I 'm living in a new building which has no window screens. Wondering, how keep windows open without been exposed to any bugs or mosquitos or fly coming in? Any suggestions, thanks.

You go to any hardware store and purchase those adjustable window screens you see in so many apartment windows. It has been that way for ages.

Problem solved.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
All windows should come with screens available. Especially with West Nike and Zika viruses and everything else carried by mosquitoes.

I guess landlords think everyone runs either their heat or their AC all year. That's pretty expensive and bad for the planet.

With some of the modern windows, it's very hard to fit screens. The size could be enormous, as the OP says, or the window is a casement style that opens in instead of out.

I'm lucky that my landlord sells screens for our windows.

If I were you, I would look for the manufacturer's name, which should be on the window somewhere. If your landlord is no help, contact the manufacturer.

Custom screens may be your only option.

Unless have missed something never seen an apartment in Manhattan or much of NYC where the landlord provided window screens. Maybe in one or two family homes where the windows come with screens (like my parents house on Staten Island), things are different. But high rises, buildings with four or more floors; nah, have never seen such a thing.

Only thing landlords are required to provide by law are window guards. Even then only if tenant asks and or they are aware of small children in the apartment IIRC.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Nearly all buildings now either have such clauses in the lease, and or the super/owner will enforce a rule about tenants putting things outside the window.

It is a safety and liability issue; if or when something falls off a building it is the owner that will be sued (and possibly fined).

Our building prohibits window air conditioners (units have wall sleeves), flower pots, and anything else attached and or hanging out of windows.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
I did pretty well all Summer but last week I got 3 bites, 2 of them got infected (par for the course for me.) I think I likely got the bites walking outside. I am so affected by bug bites that, if I had no screens, I would be using my a/c in November.

My screens are part of the window and slide up and down in their own track, just like the double hung window panes.
When I moved in, my apartment had none, unlike nearly all the other apartments
Fortunately I found a cache in the basement and grabbed 3 of them leaving only one window unscreened. That one is opened only when I want to get at the back of my air conditioner a couple times a year.

liliya,
with 10 foot fold-in windows, I think you are stuck and need to run the AC. Getting big custom made screens would cost you a fortune.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I did pretty well all Summer but last week I got 3 bites, 2 of them got infected (par for the course for me.) I think I likely got the bites walking outside. I am so affected by bug bites that, if I had no screens, I would be using my a/c in November.

My screens are part of the window and slide up and down in their own track, just like the double hung window panes.
When I moved in, my apartment had none, unlike nearly all the other apartments
Fortunately I found a cache in the basement and grabbed 3 of them leaving only one window unscreened. That one is opened only when I want to get at the back of my air conditioner a couple times a year.

liliya,
with 10 foot fold-in windows, I think you are stuck and need to run the AC. Getting big custom made screens would cost you a fortune.

Those screens sound like the ones part of my parent's house and nearly everyone I know or knew on SI and Brooklyn. You open a window and the screens are on another track outside. Ours were left up all year long. Once a year (usually as part of Spring cleaning) Dad would take them all down, hose them clean, then rehang.

Many new replacement windows for apartments and or new construction (double hang) do have the track for screens; but few buildings actually provide. Why yours kept them down in the basements instead of installing is a mystery.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
You say that this is a new building? It may be that the windows (if any) are not meant to be opened to save money on heating/AC costs. Check to see if your building has a 4 pipe HVAC system with fresh air exchanger.

You can also get a heavy duty bug zapper.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Question lyla45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You say that this is a new building? It may be that the windows (if any) are not meant to be opened to save money on heating/AC costs. Check to see if your building has a 4 pipe HVAC system with fresh air exchanger.

You can also get a heavy duty bug zapper.
Yes, it's new building, with PTAC beneath the windows. Windows are opens in, also regularly cleaned from outside. So, I assume, I shoud not install anything from outside, but same thing I shoud not do that from inside because it's opens in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City