Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 PM

800 posts, read 950,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In essence they made 300 dollars. It's not the consumers responsiblity to know or care about business models. Whether Uber or Lyft is profitable is not my problem. Rideshare drivers should organize and unionize. I would happily see all yellowcab medallions go under. They never served the outer boroughs and even in Manhattan they only cruised the major streets. I switched over to ride sharing when I need a ride to get my luggage from my apartment door on a side street and since then I do not use cabs.
So as a consumer you don't give a damn that workers are exploited overseas to make the clothes that you are wearing right now? You don't care that Mexican workers were paid peanuts to put the roof on your beachfront condo? You don't care that the use of palm oil in soap and shampoo has driven countless exotic animals to the brink of extinction? We could go on and on.

As I mentioned, I drove for uber & lyft when they were new. I did about 1,200 drives between the two companies. I had my own personal car depreciated. I had to send large checks to the IRS each of the two years I did it. Very few people tipped. I got a $50 cash tip the first night (from two high school girls who I drove to a frat party) I drove and maybe $100 total in cash tips for the next 1,000 drives. I drove forgotten brand-new iPhone 6's back to their drunk owners dozens of times at my own expense and rarely received a thank-you. Got $10 one or two times from those grateful little punks.

I have only used Uber twice as a passenger and have both it and Lyft deleted from my phone. I ride a bicycle, walk, or take the bus where I need to go. When I lived in New York I did quite a number of mile-long late night walks to subway stations where the train took 45 minutes to show up. Big deal. i'm not that important, and neither are the lazy defenders of uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 11:03 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why are you so surprised? If you're the cab driver, doing a run for $3.00, what is your profit? Even at $8.00 that is peanuts because the driver has overhead costs and then gas and so on. People are so incredibly cheap. If you're complaining about an $8 fare, you should be taking the subway. You want filet mignon on a canned soup budget. *lol*

That's the problem with our society. Everyone feels they should make a fortune but pay peanuts for everything else.
Yeah can you really expect any ride to be 3 dollars? Unless it's like 5 blocks

Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
So as a consumer you don't give a damn that workers are exploited overseas to make the clothes that you are wearing right now? You don't care that Mexican workers were paid peanuts to put the roof on your beachfront condo? You don't care that the use of palm oil in soap and shampoo has driven countless exotic animals to the brink of extinction? We could go on and on.

As I mentioned, I drove for uber & lyft when they were new. I did about 1,200 drives between the two companies. I had my own personal car depreciated. I had to send large checks to the IRS each of the two years I did it. Very few people tipped. I got a $50 cash tip the first night (from two high school girls who I drove to a frat party) I drove and maybe $100 total in cash tips for the next 1,000 drives. I drove forgotten brand-new iPhone 6's back to their drunk owners dozens of times at my own expense and rarely received a thank-you. Got $10 one or two times from those grateful little punks.

I have only used Uber twice as a passenger and have both it and Lyft deleted from my phone. I ride a bicycle, walk, or take the bus where I need to go. When I lived in New York I did quite a number of mile-long late night walks to subway stations where the train took 45 minutes to show up. Big deal. i'm not that important, and neither are the lazy defenders of uber.
Of course he doesn't care, but am sure he and other people here expect to be paid handsomely because they are selfish individuals. It's such BS to claim that you support people earning a fair wage but then turn around and exploit others. Do not feel sorry for yellow taxi drivers because of their discriminatory practices, but do think drivers from companies like Uber are being exploited, and the people using these companies should think long and hard about the fact that they are getting a service so cheap. The same people benefitting from this should drive a cab for a day making $3.00 a trip BEFORE paying any expenses and see how much they like it.

And I'm waiting for somebody to come and say oh well it's about choice. That's besides the point. There's a difference between choice and exploitation. It's things like this that drag down wages overall for Americans.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

Honestly when I go shopping I don't care. It's not my responsibility to solve all the world's problems. Offshoring can resolved only by government action as consumers will always vote with their wallets. The rise of first WalMart and then Amazon have shown that. Save your lectures. I will not be using yellow cabs period.

I really don't care about you or what you do either.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Of course he doesn't care, but am sure he and other people here expect to be paid handsomely because they are selfish individuals. It's such BS to claim that you support people earning a fair wage but then turn around and exploit others. Do not feel sorry for yellow taxi drivers because of their discriminatory practices, but do think drivers from companies like Uber are being exploited, and the people using these companies should think long and hard about the fact that they are getting a service so cheap. The same people benefitting from this should drive a cab for a day making $3.00 a trip BEFORE paying any expenses and see how much they like it.

And I'm waiting for somebody to come and say oh well it's about choice. That's besides the point. There's a difference between choice and exploitation. It's things like this that drag down wages overall for Americans.
No users should not think about why they are getting the service so cheap. Btw, you shop at Amazon Foods and look at the history of labor exploitation at Amazon.

The nation as a whole needs better labor protections and unionizing most definitely. But it's not my business as a consumer to worry about which company is exploiting its workers. Honestly all employers do that to the extend they can get away with it. So it's up to workers to organize and vote for politicians who will support greater worker protections and right.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Why are you so surprised? If you're the cab driver, doing a run for $3.00, what is your profit? Even at $8.00 that is peanuts because the driver has overhead costs and then gas and so on. People are so incredibly cheap. If you're complaining about an $8 fare, you should be taking the subway. You want filet mignon on a canned soup budget. *lol*

That's the problem with our society. Everyone feels they should make a fortune but pay peanuts for everything else.
In a capitalist society if people offer an acceptable service for less, people will pay for the service that costs less but has acceptable service. It's called living off a budget.

I fly a lot, and I'm going to travel the cheapest way I can. I buy the cheapest tickets I can get, use Airbnb, and I use ridesharing. If every single medallion goes under I will not care, nor do I care about what happens to the hotel industry.

Just like Americans did not care as both illegal downloading and the legal music market killed off the music store. Times change and yes businesses who can't adjust their models die.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
In a capitalist society if people offer an acceptable service for less, people will pay for the service that costs less but has acceptable service. It's called living off a budget.

I fly a lot, and I'm going to travel the cheapest way I can. I buy the cheapest tickets I can get, use Airbnb, and I use ridesharing. If every single medallion goes under I will not care, nor do I care about what happens to the hotel industry.

Just like Americans did not care as both illegal downloading and the legal music market killed off the music store. Times change and yes businesses who can't adjust their models die.
Quote:
No users should not think about why they are getting the service so cheap. Btw, you shop at Amazon Foods and look at the history of labor exploitation at Amazon.

The nation as a whole needs better labor protections and unionizing most definitely. But it's not my business as a consumer to worry about which company is exploiting its workers. Honestly all employers do that to the extend they can get away with it. So it's up to workers to organize and vote for politicians who will support greater worker protections and right.
Your comments are hypocritical. You can't claim that you're for higher wages for low wage workers but then turn around and say that *as a consumer*, it's not your problem. Well which is it? You apparently only support higher wages for these people when you're not paying for it. What a surprise. As was said before, am sure you expect to paid *handsomely* for your line of work.

Whole Foods actually pays their workers decent salaries
Amazon may own the chain, but they have not touched that business model, so you can stop running your mouth before you dig a deeper hole.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Your comments are hypocritical. You can't claim that you're for higher wages for low wage workers but then turn around and say that *as a consumer*, it's not your problem. Well which is it? You apparently only support higher wages for these people when you're not paying for it. What a surprise. As was said before, am sure you expect to paid *handsomely* for your line of work.

Whole Foods actually pays their workers decent salaries
Amazon may own the chain, but they have not touched that business model, so you can stop running your mouth before you dig a deeper hole.
I'm pretty sure Whole Foods doesn't pay so well. I notice almost all the people working at the cash register are Black. If the pay was so good you'd see a lot of white men doing it. I'm sure it pays a few dollars above the minimum wage, which means next to nothing in very expensive NYC.

Yes, as a consumer it's not MY problem.

That doesn't mean it's not a problem, but what IDIOT pays more for goods when there is no real guarantee the employer is going to pass that on to the customer? Those workers have to fight for their rights to either organize better working conditions, or they have to consider whether to even accept the job.

I think you're a sucker who spends more money on stuff than need be, just to brag about it. If it makes you feel good about yourself, buy everything organic from Whole Foods (I'm not willing to spend that money), rent in the most expensive parts of Manhattan (don't know if you'll ever be able to save enough to buy), buy the most expensive airplane tickets, and rent from the most expensive hotels (of course you might go broke).

So yes, I am for higher wages for low wage workers, and I fully supported those workers who fought for those wages. I'm a union member myself, and I fought for OUR higher wages and benefits.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah can you really expect any ride to be 3 dollars? Unless it's like 5 blocks
It was 5 blocks! lol
5 Crosstown blocks, though. It was brutal those days, (at the peak of summer), getting into the cab was just worth it, for the 3 dollars. There was no train or bus that went Crosstown on that particular stretch, and I just wanted to get where I needed to with little heat and sweat exposure.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Whole Foods doesn't pay so well. I notice almost all the people working at the cash register are Black. If the pay was so good you'd see a lot of white men doing it. I'm sure it pays a few dollars above the minimum wage, which means next to nothing in very expensive NYC.

Yes, as a consumer it's not MY problem.

That doesn't mean it's not a problem, but what IDIOT pays more for goods when there is no real guarantee the employer is going to pass that on to the customer? Those workers have to fight for their rights to either organize better working conditions, or they have to consider whether to even accept the job.

I think you're a sucker who spends more money on stuff than need be, just to brag about it. If it makes you feel good about yourself, buy everything organic from Whole Foods (I'm not willing to spend that money), rent in the most expensive parts of Manhattan (don't know if you'll ever be able to save enough to buy), buy the most expensive airplane tickets, and rent from the most expensive hotels (of course you might go broke).

So yes, I am for higher wages for low wage workers, and I fully supported those workers who fought for those wages. I'm a union member myself, and I fought for OUR higher wages and benefits.
Whole Foods pays its workers well above average and it's been well documented.

On average Whole Foods pays about $18.89/hr. Cashiers make above the minimum wage at $11.00 an hour; not great, but better than a lot of other places considering that these people usually are either college students or don't have education over a GED. You get what you put out.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...e-Foods-Market

It's not that Whole Foods doesn't pay well. It's that you have more black and brown people that don't get higher educations. In the many years that I've shopped at Whole Foods (well over a decade), there are *some* white cashiers, not many, but there are some that have been with them for *years*. In fact there is one middle aged white guy who previously be found at the Union Square location. He now works at the Bryant Park location. Likely part-time, like most of the workers, but he's still there.

This isn't about *overpaying* for goods. It's about your expectations for a reasonable fare. You really think that $3.00 is a reasonable fare to pay for Uber when you look at the driver's expenses? Give me a break. No, I don't overpay for anything. I shop around like the next person, but at the same time, I don't set ridiculous expectations for prices either. In other words, I'm not a cheap @ss who tries to get over on people. If I can get a good deal great, but I also don't mind paying a fair price. It's $2.75 for a subway fare, versus $8.00 for door-to-door service. You probably are so cheap that you don't even tip the damn guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City