Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 04:18 PM

48 posts, read 92,568 times

Advertisements

When my lease expired a year ago, my landlord didn't send me a new lease and I did not ask for one and have been paying ever since on a month-to-month basis. I am not sure why he didn't give me a new lease however he continues to accept my rent (it's directly deposited into his bank account) and he regularity sends the property manager to take out the trash, up keep the property, making minor fixes & repairs, etc. He doesn't appear to be trying to get rid of me (at least for now). But what i'd like to know is how could I sublet my place for 2-3 months without a lease. I could ask for a new lease however I think month-to-month is arguably a better situation to be in. My job is asking me to startup a new department in another city which will require me leaving NYC temporarily. What would be the best way to approach this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
First off what kind of apt building do you live in? Next I assume you are market rate?
It seems like you have a good landlord and are on good terms, I'd just be honest and say I have to be out of town for 3 months for work, can I sublet my apt. Although honestly for such a short time I wouldn't bother, its not worth the headache.
I assume your employer is putting you up in what ever city will will be living in, so you won't be paying double rent. I'd just pay the rent myself. You can find plenty of stories on this bored about subletting issues.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:19 PM

48 posts, read 92,568 times
I live in a townhouse and am paying market rate. Yes he's been a good landlord. Since I expect my company to pay for my temporary housing in the other city, I wouldn't really mind your suggestion of just paying the rent for 3 months while I am gone, I was just considering taking advantage of the situation by having free rent in the other city while subletting my place in Brooklyn (saving 3 months worth of rent).

I suppose you're right, I've heard nightmare stories about finding a subletter from coworkers but have not read the stories on this board... or have heard the nightmare stories regarding an untrustworthy subletter

Old 10-15-2017, 03:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperVigilent View Post
I live in a townhouse and am paying market rate. Yes he's been a good landlord. Since I expect my company to pay for my temporary housing in the other city, I wouldn't really mind your suggestion of just paying the rent for 3 months while I am gone, I was just considering taking advantage of the situation by having free rent in the other city while subletting my place in Brooklyn (saving 3 months worth of rent).

I suppose you're right, I've heard nightmare stories about finding a subletter from coworkers but have not read the stories on this board... or have heard the nightmare stories regarding an untrustworthy subletter
If you could find a true friend that happened to need a place for a short period or if say your parents or siblings wanted to stay in yc a few days I'd trust that but thats about all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City