Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Of course it opens up more doors than it closes. But like I said, some employers find people from the ivy leagues not worth the entitled attitude they bring.
Proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 10:28 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Many in the grand scheme of raw numbers, I didn't say most. Clearly you are not ivy league.
Even so, put up or shut up/stop spewing nonsense.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Proof?
Exactly. I'm tired of these "enlightened" posters making claims without even anecdotal (let alone substantial) evidence to back them up.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It all depends. I know many doctors who choose working at community health clinics who are not paid well. But they work where they do because they feel like they are making a difference and are not in it for the money.
I would expect them to do that after working the big bucks and paying off/down their student loans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There is also the fact despite popular belief not every Ivy League graduate (under or post) is a rock star raking in big bucks. This is important when you consider the often vast amount of debt new physicians have to repay.

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/unequal-pay-doctors

https://www.quora.com/Does-every-Har...-load-of-money

https://www.payscale.com/research/US..._School/Salary

However as with many other things it is all relative.

Earning one to two million in New York City is *NOT* a lot of money, especially after taxes and everything else. OTOH if a doctor made that same number in Podunk, Kansas, they would likely be living very well.
Keep in mind that many new doctors get a lot of incentives from employers. A big one is an upfront lump sump payment towards their student loan. One cousin (no specialty) received $50,000 payment towards his debt plus, if I remember correctly, his contract was $191 per hour with week on/week off. Since he also moonlights, I recommended that he establish a LLC for tax purposes. With regular over time, he easily clears over $300,000. That's a good salary for a single doctor even in NYC. You don't need to live in a fancy schmancy hood to easily survive on that income. This cousin didn't attend any prestigious university but his student loans were paid off well before 10 years.

Another cousin, Cornell undergrad --->>UMASS cardiology fellowship --->>non-invasive cardiologist with a financial stake in a practice (no investment). Though like many ppl, they complain about the ridiculous prices here, they are doing very well financially and OWN. Unlike me and many ppl who work in slavery (Big 4 public accounting), they are paid a lot of overtime (as exempt workers, we don't get paid overtime ) and they can easily find a job anywhere in the US.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I would expect them to do that after working the big bucks and paying off/down their student loans.
Some are going that route as an initial matter, taking advantage of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program in the process.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Columbia and NYU are out of reach for the average "working professional" in NYC due to the requirements and the cost.

Stern's part-time program is not new; its been around for some time. I'm a graduate of NYU, and I'll admit that it can be costly. Stern's part-time program is around 30k+ for 15 credits and one needs 60 credits to graduate.
If you really, really, want it, with a bit of discipline, you can do it.

I went to the engineering school at NYU Tandon. It's a great program actually, I loved it - very strenuous, but I love a challenge.

If you can get your employer to pay for it, you're golden. That's what happened to me. I only had to pay the taxes as the cost of the degree was considered added income. So when you file taxes, you add the cost of the degree onto your salary. But even then, if you can prove to the IRS that the degree is necessary for your job, you will get a huuuuge tax break. So that's how I became golden, with no student loans, debt or anything. I walked away with a free Masters degree from NYU - BOOM!

Old 10-19-2017, 10:16 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Is that how it works here in NYC? To get a good job, you either have to be carrying an advance degree from an Ivy League or have some connections at one of these prestigious companies? I've applied to so many jobs and constant rejections.

As I get around and do my more research, it seems like unless you went to a top school, you don't have a fighting chance of getting a good opportunity in this city. I've noticed that everyone employed at most of these top employers or in good positions all went to a prestigious school. I've talked to some of them but as soon as they find out i didn't get to an ivy league, they brush me off and give me the cold shoulder.

What dissapoints me more is that half of the people i've met don't even have half the real world experience i do. I've talked to them about some basic business and sales principles and some of them couldn't even recognize what i was talking about...and they're holding advanced positions. un-f'n believable.

What's the secret to getting into these companies? tired of working for bull**** companies making pennies trying to survive here. haha.
Skip college and get a job working for the city.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Skip college and get a job working for the city.
Im not sure if you know. Some city jobs require some sort of college education. And even promotional position requires 4 year degree.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im not sure if you know. Some city jobs require some sort of college education. And even promotional position requires 4 year degree.
And you can get those degrees while working. I know plenty of people in (or retired from) the NYPD and not one of them had more than a HS diploma before joining the force. They got their degrees while in the force.

I'm former NYC EMS, I got my first degree while on the job.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:17 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Some are going that route as an initial matter, taking advantage of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program in the process.

That PSLP which Obama sweetened is a very good deal for new doctors, nurses, attorneys.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City