Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:59 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
The only good thing about millennials is that Generation X'ers can brainwash them easily.
brains have in working order first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 02:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
The only good thing about millennials is that Generation X'ers can brainwash them easily.
Sometimes believing in anything can be a good thing:

Millennial #1: Yoyo we can make an app with disappearing d**k pics and become rich
Gen X'er: Get the F**k otta here with that b*llsh*t. You can go suck my d**k.
Millennial #2: Yeah man let's do it! I've been meaning to quit my day job for months now (started job 6 months ago).

Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 PM

343 posts, read 254,557 times
Thanks for the topic, original poster. Try not to be so hard on yourself. NYC is a tough city. This city is loaded with liars. There is a lot of nepotism and also when people are given a leg up they naturally tend to conceal it. You sound stressed and negative even but its probably not an unwarranted reaction.

Sure NYC has tons of great opportunity but its nowhere near the amount of low-opportunity. Look at this forum. People are begging for handouts! They are dieing for relief. And we all know, even if a person networks like mad and does everything right does not guarantee they get lucky.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:52 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Is that how it works here in NYC? To get a good job, you either have to be carrying an advance degree from an Ivy League or have some connections at one of these prestigious companies? I've applied to so many jobs and constant rejections.

As I get around and do my more research, it seems like unless you went to a top school, you don't have a fighting chance of getting a good opportunity in this city. I've noticed that everyone employed at most of these top employers or in good positions all went to a prestigious school. I've talked to some of them but as soon as they find out i didn't get to an ivy league, they brush me off and give me the cold shoulder.

What dissapoints me more is that half of the people i've met don't even have half the real world experience i do. I've talked to them about some basic business and sales principles and some of them couldn't even recognize what i was talking about...and they're holding advanced positions. un-f'n believable.

What's the secret to getting into these companies? tired of working for bull**** companies making pennies trying to survive here. haha.
It's not the school you went to or not even necessarily the degree you have; it's what the person does with it and how that makes all the difference. For example, I know attorneys who "can't find jobs" and I also know high school graduates making hundreds of thousands a year or more.

It's the hustle, drive and ambition that make you, not a piece of paper.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:34 PM

252 posts, read 348,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Thanks for the topic, original poster.
You're welcome. . I didn't expect my thread to get so many replies.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-29-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Having a degree from the ancient 8, Georgetown, Stanford, MIT, caltech, Carnegie Mellon, nyu, uva, Duke, John Hopkins, Baylor will grab the attention from plenty of hiring managers in elite cities. If one has a degree from an not so name institution or public college, he or she might have to obtain an advanced degree in order to compete with high level 4 year degrees from the institutions I have mentioned.
One of these things is not like the other. Even in Texas, a degree from Baylor isn't seen as anything special, and would definitely rank below more selective schools like Rice and UT. There is nothing wrong with a Baylor degree, it just not looked on any better than TCU, SMU, or A&M.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:51 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
I cannot believe the "brattery" / princess types and entitled people that I'm reading about on this thread. For your information, one can live a comfortable lifestyle with only 75K and even 65K here as a single person in NYC - I've done it before. What are you guys doing with your money??!
Paying below 110th Street prices, maybe

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-29-2017, 02:54 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Paying below 110th Street prices, maybe
One of my coworkers lives by where NYU is at the village and he pays less rent than I do. We both got our 1 bedroom RS apartments back in the mid 90's, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City