Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:13 PM

252 posts, read 344,866 times

Advertisements

Is that how it works here in NYC? To get a good job, you either have to be carrying an advance degree from an Ivy League or have some connections at one of these prestigious companies? I've applied to so many jobs and constant rejections.

As I get around and do my more research, it seems like unless you went to a top school, you don't have a fighting chance of getting a good opportunity in this city. I've noticed that everyone employed at most of these top employers or in good positions all went to a prestigious school. I've talked to some of them but as soon as they find out i didn't get to an ivy league, they brush me off and give me the cold shoulder.

What dissapoints me more is that half of the people i've met don't even have half the real world experience i do. I've talked to them about some basic business and sales principles and some of them couldn't even recognize what i was talking about...and they're holding advanced positions. un-f'n believable.

What's the secret to getting into these companies? tired of working for bull**** companies making pennies trying to survive here. haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,854,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Is that how it works here in NYC? To get a good job, you either have to be carrying an advance degree from an Ivy League or have some connections at one of these prestigious companies? I've applied to so many jobs and constant rejections.

As I get around and do my more research, it seems like unless you went to a top school, you don't have a fighting chance of getting a good opportunity in this city. I've noticed that everyone employed at most of these top employers or in good positions all went to a prestigious school. I've talked to some of them but as soon as they find out i didn't get to an ivy league, they brush me off and give me the cold shoulder.

What dissapoints me more is that half of the people i've met don't even have half the real world experience i do. I've talked to them about some basic business and sales principles and some of them couldn't even recognize what i was talking about...and they're holding advanced positions. un-f'n believable.

What's the secret of getting into these companies? tired of working for bull**** companies making pennies trying to survive here. haha.
Why not say **** those companies and get a regular job? I mean people who live in the city are bartenders, waiters, social workers, civil servants, etc. Perhaps you have to reprioritize.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 PM

1,507 posts, read 997,765 times
Quote:

What's the secret to getting into these companies? tired of working for bull**** companies making pennies trying to survive here. haha.
Whosoever told you that you need an Ivy League is lying. Also, your observations about people in top positions are incorrect. What type of degree and experience do you have? Experience and attending a target school here is key in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why not say **** those companies and get a regular job? I mean people who live in the city are bartenders, waiters, social workers, civil servants, etc. Perhaps you have to reprioritize.
Haha. The OP said he didn't want to work any struggling, BS jobs.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:53 PM

983 posts, read 925,306 times
I went to a state school and I'm doing okay.

But I'm not in the corporate/business douche world, thank god.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,959,806 times
Quote:

NYC dc and San Francisco are elite cites. Honorable cities would be Boston, Chicago and LA. In this cities, such industries require top skill set or talent from universities. Here in NYC, if you don't have a 4 year degree, a applicant is rejected, HR won't look at your resume. In these cities, you have top firms who are looking for top talent. Elite cities are expensive, and attracts all sorts of Americans mainly suburban white folks who's economy was destroyed in the housing bust in 2008. But also saw the greatest migration in American history since the great migration of black Americans. The migration of white millennial to urban America.

Having a degree from the ancient 8, Georgetown, Stanford, MIT, caltech, Carnegie Mellon, nyu, uva, Duke, John Hopkins, Baylor will grab the attention from plenty of hiring managers in elite cities. If one has a degree from an not so name institution or public college, he or she might have to obtain an advanced degree in order to compete with high level 4 year degrees from the institutions I have mentioned. It's so bad these days that you see CUNY grads applying for MTA track worker exam. That CUNY grad is getting a pension when he or she retires while working for thr mta. Will an Harvard grad recieve a pension after retiring from tiaa? No

Old 10-15-2017, 08:53 PM

6,669 posts, read 5,957,083 times
Why won’t a Harvard graduate receive a pension from TIAA?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,959,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Why won’t a Harvard graduate receive a pension from TIAA?
Investment banks do 401k for employees now. Those places don't do pensions.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:13 PM

954 posts, read 933,281 times
I didn’t go to school and I have a great corporate job making very good money.

Attitude, hard work and personality go a long in this city. The OP will crash and burn horribly if this is the way he truely feels. Making excuses, feeling entitled, and complaining about why you think other people are doing better than you will only lead to failure and misery.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:40 PM

1,507 posts, read 997,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
I didn’t go to school and I have a great corporate job making very good money.

Attitude, hard work and personality go a long in this city. The OP will crash and burn horribly if this is the way he truely feels. Making excuses, feeling entitled, and complaining about why you think other people are doing better than you will only lead to failure and misery.
Agree with what you said. Do you sell life insurance?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM

63 posts, read 91,232 times
My cousin went To Cooper Union and got an engineering job over at Bloomberg right out of college.

So it is possible if you know how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City