Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you leaning towards voting for of these 2 choices for mayor?
Nicole Malliotakis (R) 60 68.97%
Bill de Blasio (D) 27 31.03%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 04:48 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
There have been many, many threads and posters justifiably explaining and hoping for DeBozo's political demise.
It's a virtual impossibility. He has fortified and expanded his already natural constituencies on the backs of tax payers and private business. The huge expansion of the incredibly benefit-rich city employee level is just one tactic he has used. Another biggie is the enormous constituency of rent-controlled tenants who have been given an indefinite rent freeze by this clown. They love him. (BTW, he is a landlord himself. He owns two expensive buildings in Park Slope. But he raises HIS tenants rents. Why not? Taxes and other expenses have increased!)

Just these two groups alone are enough to insure this clown's re-election. In addition, as another poster pointed out, the city in general is overwhelmingly Democratic. Over 90% of state legislators from the city are Dems. The population has changed dramatically in the past few decades. Food stamps, Medicaid, and numerous other benefits are liberally provided. Only a far leftist Democrat would be acceptable as Mayor.

DeBummer has planned his political future in NYC well. And has insured domination by the far left for generations.

I will vote for Nicole in the hope that a miracle will save this city.

Will agree with much of your post, except don't see where "Big Bird" ends up politically after another four years as mayor of NYC. Assuming all the predictions are correct and he wins a few weeks.

Cannot see Bill de Boob running much less winning governor. It would be politically difficult to pull off as upstate is vastly different than NYC. BdeB's bleeding heart liberal politics and spendthrift ways would be a hard sell even just outside of the city in Westchester and on Long Island.

Congress? Again don't think any of the current or potential members from NYC delegation to House of Representatives are going to roll over and let BdeB take their otherwise life seats.

Senate? No way. Totally impossible. Schumer and the Gilibrand woman would eat BdeB alive. Also again being a statewide office the guy would be a tough sell outside of NYC.

If Rudy G. the "People's Mayor" couldn't ride that train onto bigger and higher political offices after being mayor of NYC, don't see how BdeB stands a chance.

Being mayor of NYC is a dead end job politically. Cannot think of a former NYC mayor that has gone onto doing anything statewide and or on a national scale after leaving office. Lindsay tried and look what happened to him.

Mayor of NYC is where career politicians of this city and or those that came up through the party machine go as their final act. In recent memory we've gotten some outsiders who made their move (Rudy G., Bloomberg), but the rest......

Until term limits came into force a mayor could cool his jets and ride that office for two or more terms if he played his cards right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
NYC should be ashamed if ‘corrupt’ de Blasio gets another 4 years | New York Post

Old 11-05-2017, 12:55 PM

714 posts, read 356,608 times
Tragically, de Boob has LARGE blocks of one-issue voters to whom corruption does not matter such as union members and rent regulated tenants. They go where the money is. Their votes are already bought.

Then there are the "progressives". They would rather vote for a corrupt "progressive" than a Republican, any Republican. It's called liberal hypocrisy.

And de Boob knows all of this. He is smug, arrogant, and above all, confidant that he will be re-elected..... no matter how much of his corruption is revealed What a tragedy for NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Will agree with much of your post, except don't see where "Big Bird" ends up politically after another four years as mayor of NYC. Assuming all the predictions are correct and he wins a few weeks.

Cannot see Bill de Boob running much less winning governor. It would be politically difficult to pull off as upstate is vastly different than NYC. BdeB's bleeding heart liberal politics and spendthrift ways would be a hard sell even just outside of the city in Westchester and on Long Island.

Congress? Again don't think any of the current or potential members from NYC delegation to House of Representatives are going to roll over and let BdeB take their otherwise life seats.

Senate? No way. Totally impossible. Schumer and the Gilibrand woman would eat BdeB alive. Also again being a statewide office the guy would be a tough sell outside of NYC.

If Rudy G. the "People's Mayor" couldn't ride that train onto bigger and higher political offices after being mayor of NYC, don't see how BdeB stands a chance.

Being mayor of NYC is a dead end job politically. Cannot think of a former NYC mayor that has gone onto doing anything statewide and or on a national scale after leaving office. Lindsay tried and look what happened to him.

Mayor of NYC is where career politicians of this city and or those that came up through the party machine go as their final act. In recent memory we've gotten some outsiders who made their move (Rudy G., Bloomberg), but the rest......

Until term limits came into force a mayor could cool his jets and ride that office for two or more terms if he played his cards right.
I agree that de Boob can go nowhere politically after this. I just meant that he used his first four years to pander to voting blocs that will set himself up for re-election. Unfortunately, unless a miracle occurs he will get re-elected to continue his corrupt activities, his contempt for the people, his laziness, arrogance, and pandering. All to the detriment of NYC.
When I see him on TV I get nauseated.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:00 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
I grew up and was raised by a family who only voted for the freebies.

\

Old 11-05-2017, 01:01 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
that said, i don't vote. never will. it's easier this way anyway. votes = you owe them something. f that.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
In order to win any election in NYC. One must win th. Black American vote and the Jewish votes. Jews and blacks comprise Half of the cities population. De blasio has appeased thr black vote, however I'm not sure if he secured thr Jewish vote.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Why does one have the feeling that this is going to be closer than people think?

Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I don't think Malliotakis ever planned to really try to win and is not running all that hard. Going into this election, I looked like any Republican was only going to be a speed bump to Bla. I think her main motivation is to build name recognition for a future run for some other position (congress?)

A better candidate could beat the stuffing out of Bla with the Jona Rechnitz revelations. She barely mentions it.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:02 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I don't think Malliotakis ever planned to really try to win and is not running all that hard. Going into this election, I looked like any Republican was only going to be a speed bump to Bla. I think her main motivation is to build name recognition for a future run for some other position (congress?)

A better candidate could beat the stuffing out of Bla with the Jona Rechnitz revelations. She barely mentions it.
She's the Ruth Messinger among Republicans. There's only one difference between Malliotakis and Messinger.

Messinger ran a horrible campaign, against an incumbent who had hard core support among his base. Maliotakis is running a horrible campaign, but against a widely unpopular incumbent, even among his party and his base. And given those facts, expect a bit of a "Bill Thompson surprise!"

Old 11-06-2017, 09:38 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
The people who don't like de Blasio tend to be either conservatives or people who don't think he's far enough to the left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City