Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times

Advertisements

Besides the slightly lower rent, what incentives are there to live in Harlem and 100s?

I see many nice luxury condos being built in Harlem, but they are priced similarly as downtown condos/apartments/coops.

For example, this beautiful condo at 110th central park goes for $3mil - $8mil.
https://streeteasy.com/building/circa-central-park
There are many other examples of $1-2mil condos at 125th, 135th, 145th streets. Some even next to project buildings. https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/5131_nh/CONDO_type/

It's my preference, but for $6 mil you can buy a Tribeca apartment facing the Hudson. For $3 mil you can find amazing lofts in Soho/Noho. For $1 mil you can find a decent 1 bedroom coop in many areas downtown.

I like Harlem, don't get me wrong, it feels different and more like a neighborhood. But what other incentives are there since it's priced the same as downtown but doesn't have the downtown advantages of restaurants, stores, diversity, parks, safety, tourism, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:34 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Besides the slightly lower rent, what incentives are there to live in Harlem and 100s?

I see many nice luxury condos being built in Harlem, but they are priced similarly as downtown condos/apartments/coops.

For example, this beautiful condo at 110th central park goes for $3mil - $8mil.
https://streeteasy.com/building/circa-central-park
There are many other examples of $1-2mil condos at 125th, 135th, 145th streets. Some even next to project buildings. https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/5131_nh/CONDO_type/

It's my preference, but for $6 mil you can buy a Tribeca apartment facing the Hudson. For $3 mil you can find amazing lofts in Soho/Noho. For $1 mil you can find a decent 1 bedroom coop in many areas downtown.

I like Harlem, don't get me wrong, it feels different and more like a neighborhood. But what other incentives are there since it's priced the same as downtown but doesn't have the downtown advantages of restaurants, stores, diversity, parks, safety, tourism, etc?
What are you talking about? The area you described IS diverse, and is close to parks, restaurants, stores, etc. 110th street is right by the biggest park in Manhattan, hello? You have shopping right along 125th street, and if you feel that isn't good enough, you can head right down to the Upper East Side or Upper West Side, which is a short 10 minute cab ride away. If you are far north, you also can take Metro-North and be in Grand Central in 10 minutes, so there's a reason it's the priced the way it is. Harlem also has tons of historical brownstones. You need to get out more. Clearly you are not from here and don't know how many areas are changing/genfrifying.

Harlem is not SoHo or any other area, but there are certainly people with money living there and plenty more moving in with money and the restaurants and stores are opening up. Whole Foods just opened this year on 125th. The years of not going above *86th or 96th street* are long gone.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 10-17-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 09:05 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Everywhere in Manhattan has "restaurants, stores, diversity, parks, safety, tourism, etc"
Is this a troll post?

In fact, some areas in upper Manhattan are a heck of a lot safer than areas like the West Village or Midtown where the majority of the crime in Manhattan happens!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Everywhere in Manhattan has "restaurants, stores, diversity, parks, safety, tourism, etc"
Is this a troll post?

In fact, some areas in upper Manhattan are a heck of a lot safer than areas like the West Village or Midtown where the majority of the crime in Manhattan happens!
OP wrote *this beautiful condo at 110th central park goes for $3mil - $8mil.* then says the neighborhood isn't near any parks.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:32 AM

174 posts, read 187,892 times
Yeah.. Circa CENTRAL PARK directly overlooks Central Park. It's got nice amenities.. there are LOADS of new restaurants popping up right along that avenue between 110th-116th. Train stops literally right across the street.

Also some people just prefer the ambiance around there, compared to Tribeca or anywhere else.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
I really like how Circa Central Park turned out. Very surprised. That round driveway is amazing to me. Makes me happy. I’m so glad that got damn ugly ass gas station is gone

Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
BUT those who applied to Circas affordable housing lottery won’t see Central Park. You’ll live in the gray brick building on 111th

Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
When it comes to renting i tell clients who ask similar questions these two responses:
1. You get bigger size
2. You have more affordable rent and a better chance to live on your own

Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Last time I checked, the majority of Harlem was priced like a outer borough neighborhood within Manhattan.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Last time I checked, the majority of Harlem was priced like a outer borough neighborhood within Manhattan.
That doesn't mean anything when parts of Brooklyn are super expensive

Harlem is cheaper than Lower Manhattan but it's not cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: