Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,170,475 times

Advertisements

De Blasio’s opponent Nicole Malliotakis seizes on his comments telling Puerto Ricans without family in NYC to stay out

“He acts as if people from Puerto Rico can’t come here and also find their own apartment, find a job, assimilate, and I find that to be also offensive,” Nicole Malliotakis said. (DREW ANGERER/GETTY IMAGES)

BY
ERIN DURKIN

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 4:38 PM
Republican mayoral challenger Nicole Malliotakis and supporters in East Harlem hit Mayor de Blasio for his comments urging Puerto Ricans not to come to New York if they don’t have family here.

“Let’s remember that Puerto Ricans are American citizens, number one. And for a mayor who ... has his arms open and has put forward tens of millions of dollars to individuals who come here undocumented, to not be more respectful to fellow American citizens is wrong,” Malliotakis, a Staten Island assemblywoman, said Wednesday.

“He acts as if people from Puerto Rico can’t come here and also find their own apartment, find a job, assimilate, and I find that to be also offensive,” she said.

De Blasio said last week that while the city expects an influx of Puerto Ricans to come to New York after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria, people should think twice if they don’t have family to stay with.

“I don’t want to encourage people to come here if they don’t have some family to turn to. I think we have to be really clear about that,” he said. “This is a city, right now, it’s ready to do anything and everything for people who come here, but we are also clear that we have tremendous strains we’re dealing with right now – and housing is our number one.”

A handful of East Harlem residents who joined the GOP hopeful at the press conference said they were angered by the comments and decided to back Malliotakis.

“De Blasio spoke badly about us, about Puerto Rico. That cannot be permitted,” Edwin Marcial, 77, said in Spanish.

“We’re going to show de Blasio to respect human rights and the rights of Puerto Ricans who are American like him. Latinos are not second class citizens. We’re first class, equal to him,” he said. “We’re going to get rid of de Blasio. We’re going to vote for Nicole.”

Explaining his comments to the Daily News editorial board Tuesday, de Blasio said he wanted to be “maximally supportive” to Puerto Ricans going through a crisis.

“But the fact is, we have very little to offer in the way of housing because of the challenge we face here,” he said.

“Don't think that you can come here and it's easy to find housing, because it's just not. But thank God a lot of people do have family or friends that they can come to, in which case we will work very hard to accommodate a whole host of other needs, starting with education, most notably.”

But Malliotakis said he was off base.

“For a city that’s supposed to be very compassionate, we need to show that compassion to individuals who may need temporary assistance, but at the same time not to say that they’re coming here to get something free or a handout. That is wrong. And that I believe it what his statement implied,” she said.

She also criticized President Trump’s response to the hurricane countering de Blasio’s effort to portray her candidacy as tantamount to a Trump takeover of New York.

“She’s not with Trump,” volunteer Lucky Rivera told passersby in the heavily Democratic neighborhood who had heard that narrative.

“She crosses party lines,” he said. “She’s independent. She’s in the Republican party, but she’s independent.”

While at least one voter called out support for de Blasio, Luis Rosally, 78, displayed a Malliotakis sign on his wheelchair, saying she had his vote even though he knew little about her because he was so unhappy with de Blasio. Many East Harlem residents oppose a rezoning plan he is pushing to build more housing there.

“I’ve been a lifetime Democrat all my life, and I’m voting for anybody but the mayor because the city has been turned over to developers, and look what they’re doing to my neighborhood,” he said. “I really don’t know this lady, but anything is better than this guy.”

De Blasio said last week that while the city expects an influx of Puerto Ricans to come to New York after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria, people should think twice if they don’t have family to stay with. (ANTHONY DELMUNDO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Malliotakis criticized the zoning plan — saying “I don’t like what was passed,” though the plan in fact has not yet passed the City Council and is still pending.

She later said she was referring to its passage by the City Planning Commission, a preliminary step.

“What we’re doing is we’re driving people that have lived here for a long time out of their communities,” she said.

“We do need more housing. That is critical. But we need to make sure that the people that live in the community qualify for such housing. And we can’t allow these huge monstrous buildings that you expect in office buildings in Midtown to be put in communities likes this. There’s a character of a community and neighborhood and that needs to be respected as well.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3572242
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 10:49 AM

13,972 posts, read 13,743,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
De Blasio’s opponent Nicole Malliotakis seizes on his comments telling Puerto Ricans without family in NYC to stay out

“He acts as if people from Puerto Rico can’t come here and also find their own apartment, find a job, assimilate, and I find that to be also offensive,” Nicole Malliotakis said. (DREW ANGERER/GETTY IMAGES)

BY
ERIN DURKIN

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Republican mayoral challenger Nicole Malliotakis and supporters in East Harlem hit Mayor de Blasio for his comments urging Puerto Ricans not to come to New York if they don’t have family here.

“Let’s remember that Puerto Ricans are American citizens, number one. And for a mayor who ... has his arms open and has put forward tens of millions of dollars to individuals who come here undocumented, to not be more respectful to fellow American citizens is wrong,” Malliotakis, a Staten Island assemblywoman, said Wednesday.

“He acts as if people from Puerto Rico can’t come here and also find their own apartment, find a job, assimilate, and I find that to be also offensive,” she said.

De Blasio said last week that while the city expects an influx of Puerto Ricans to come to New York after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria, people should think twice if they don’t have family to stay with.

“I don’t want to encourage people to come here if they don’t have some family to turn to. I think we have to be really clear about that,” he said. “This is a city, right now, it’s ready to do anything and everything for people who come here, but we are also clear that we have tremendous strains we’re dealing with right now – and housing is our number one.”

A handful of East Harlem residents who joined the GOP hopeful at the press conference said they were angered by the comments and decided to back Malliotakis.

“De Blasio spoke badly about us, about Puerto Rico. That cannot be permitted,” Edwin Marcial, 77, said in Spanish.

“We’re going to show de Blasio to respect human rights and the rights of Puerto Ricans who are American like him. Latinos are not second class citizens. We’re first class, equal to him,” he said. “We’re going to get rid of de Blasio. We’re going to vote for Nicole.”

Explaining his comments to the Daily News editorial board Tuesday, de Blasio said he wanted to be “maximally supportive” to Puerto Ricans going through a crisis.

“But the fact is, we have very little to offer in the way of housing because of the challenge we face here,” he said.

“Don't think that you can come here and it's easy to find housing, because it's just not. But thank God a lot of people do have family or friends that they can come to, in which case we will work very hard to accommodate a whole host of other needs, starting with education, most notably.”

“For a city that’s supposed to be very compassionate, we need to show that compassion to individuals who may need temporary assistance, but at the same time not to say that they’re coming here to get something free or a handout. That is wrong. And that I believe it what his statement implied,” she said.

She also criticized President Trump’s response to the hurricane countering de Blasio’s effort to portray her candidacy as tantamount to a Trump takeover of New York.

“She’s not with Trump,” volunteer Lucky Rivera told passersby in the heavily Democratic neighborhood who had heard that narrative.

“She crosses party lines,” he said. “She’s independent. She’s in the Republican party, but she’s independent.”

While at least one voter called out support for de Blasio, Luis Rosally, 78, displayed a Malliotakis sign on his wheelchair, saying she had his vote even though he knew little about her because he was so unhappy with de Blasio. Many East Harlem residents oppose a rezoning plan he is pushing to build more housing there.

“I’ve been a lifetime Democrat all my life, and I’m voting for anybody but the mayor because the city has been turned over to developers, and look what they’re doing to my neighborhood,” he said. “I really don’t know this lady, but anything is better than this guy.”

De Blasio said last week that while the city expects an influx of Puerto Ricans to come to New York after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria, people should think twice if they don’t have family to stay with. (ANTHONY DELMUNDO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Malliotakis criticized the zoning plan — saying “I don’t like what was passed,” though the plan in fact has not yet passed the City Council and is still pending.

She later said she was referring to its passage by the City Planning Commission, a preliminary step.

“What we’re doing is we’re driving people that have lived here for a long time out of their communities,” she said.

“We do need more housing. That is critical. But we need to make sure that the people that live in the community qualify for such housing. And we can’t allow these huge monstrous buildings that you expect in office buildings in Midtown to be put in communities likes this. There’s a character of a community and neighborhood and that needs to be respected as well.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3572242

NYC rents are way too high

Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,934,869 times
Yeah, I actually agree. I don't think it would be a good idea to come here without family - be unemployed and homeless. Of course, at the end of the day, people can do whatever they want.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,822,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Yeah, I actually agree. I don't think it would be a good idea to come here without family - be unemployed and homeless. Of course, at the end of the day, people can do whatever they want.
Completely agree.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Find it funny that some Puerto Ricans have automatically taken *offense* to the comments. If they're struggling in Puerto Rico, what makes them think they can afford to live in NYC, one of the most expensive cities in the world? Even the poorest areas would be expensive for them. One thing to say we open our doors to you, but we have a homeless crisis here already, so would be foolish to welcome more people here that we don't have housing for.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,359 times
DiBlowsio the racist. Tell me something I didn't know.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,938,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

BY
ERIN DURKIN

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Malliotakis says NYC should welcome all Puerto Ricans - NY Daily News
Sjw alert. Sjw alert, sjw alert, sjw alert. Puerto Ricans can move where ever they want. I love them.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Sjw alert. Sjw alert, sjw alert, sjw alert. Puerto Ricans can move where ever they want. I love them.
Can move wherever they want without housing and no job... Am not sure how that situation would be any better than their current one, especially when NYC will be limited in what it can do for them. Can welcome them all they want but if no housing is available and they have no place to go, will likely end up homeless.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,185,520 times
LOL At the political opportunism of Malliotakis. She is one of Trumps-mignons and grade-A bootlickers. Yes, the same Trump who has literally abandoned Puerto Rico in a crime against humanity that has caused hundreds to die in the streets.

How much do these couple of vendepatria Puerto Rican's who are backing Malliotakis think she will support them?

DeBlasios contempt for Puerto Rican's and his white racism are already well known. He is backing the anti-Puerto Rican forced removal plan for East Harlem

Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,250,100 times
So Puerto Ricans are not allowed to come here legally, but it is fine using taxpayer money to protect Mexicans, Hondurans, and Guatemalans that come here illegally and drive up the cost of living by illegally occupying residential space forcing Nywriterdude into homelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City