Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:44 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Once you work in NJ, most people will move there. it goes without saying because most NYers that are too proud to admit and never realize that NJ as a lot of anemities that NYC doesn't have without paying an arm and leg. Yet living in NJ you still have easy access to NYC.

I see the thread about Target opening in NYC, there's been Target stores in NJ since the 90s.

The sales taxes are much better and less punishing than NYC.
Jersey gets you in property taxes however

I pay 2k a year in property taxes. Jersey is easily 10k minimum in decent areas

And I wish people would stop saying Brooklyn and jersey are alike. first off the diversity is lacking in Hoboken, and Hoboken feels like its an enclave. Brooklyn is large and pretty much get a little bit of everything.

Last edited by cheyenne2134; 10-23-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 04:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
My commute to Jersey City is no different than if to Lower Manhattan or Midtown.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:04 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post

And I wish people would stop saying Brooklyn and jersey are alike. first off the diversity is lacking in Hoboken, and Hoboken feels like its an enclave. Brooklyn is large and pretty much get a little bit of everything.
He didn’t mention buying. Sure, those taxes are passed on through rent, but it will almost certainly be cheaper rent regardless.

Diversity is lacking in Hoboken, but that’s a tiny part of Jersey and Hudson County and Hoboken is pretty well-connected to other parts of Hudson County and to Manhattan. It’s not that they are the same thing, but perhaps it makes sense to ask the OP what he was looking for in Brooklyn because it might be that he can find it in Hoboken or another part of Hudson County. The trade-off in commute time and costs of living might very well be worth whatever Hoboken might lack or it might even be Hoboken or Jersey City itself is actually a better fit even without the cost savings.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,262 times
Wow, phenomenal advice. I can't thank you enough!

Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:

I like to know where you live in NY that still has a $2k property tax, I don't know anyone that pays less than $4.5k unless it's a condo. NY Properties are incredibly overpriced so the lower property taxes softens the blow but lately property taxes have progressively jumped for most NY properties.

The OP is renting so there are no extra taxes. If he stays in Brooklyn

NYC has other cost of living taxes that that are higher overall than NJ.

Last edited by vision33r; 10-23-2017 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 05:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
My commute to Jersey City is no different than if to Lower Manhattan or Midtown.
I should note, it is no different in time, but twice the price. I'm coming from the Ridgewood Bushwick area.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM

782 posts, read 858,994 times
Quote:

Very true, I agree. JC/Hoboken might have some similarities to Brooklyn, but as a whole its a totally different world. Brooklyn is just block after block of densely populated neighborhoods meshing together, all with their own unique vibe. The scale is just totally different.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:07 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I like to know where you live in NY that still has a $2k property tax, I don't know anyone that pays less than $4.5k unless it's a condo. NY Properties are incredibly overpriced so the lower property taxes softens the blow but lately property taxes have progressively jumped for most NY properties.

The OP is renting so there are no extra taxes. If he stays in Brooklyn

NYC has other cost of living taxes that that are higher overall than NJ.
Umm brooklyn, just check street easy for yourself.

And yes if renting its not necessarily a factor, but property taxes are one of the reasons rent in jersey is almost if not higher than areas in the city.

Hoboken is still very expensive in his case it just doesn't make sense to commute if he doesnt have to. NJ and brooklyn are still two very different areas, pros and cons each

Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Let's not turn this into another NJ vs NYC culture debate. The OP will no doubt save money and time living in NJ but if he prefers Brooklyn culture then there's a pricetag for that.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 2,262 times
How accessible do you think it is to get to Manhattan from Hoboken using Path. Can you be as spontaneous as if you lived in Brooklyn? Path times aren't the most frequent off peak, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: