U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three secondary downtowns do you prefer?
Downtown Brooklyn (including DUMBO) 32 55.17%
Long Island City 14 24.14%
Downtown Jersey City / Waterfront 12 20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2017, 09:00 PM

33,943 posts, read 33,057,918 times

Advertisements

These are three main secondary downtowns of NYC and all share strong direct connections to Manhattan and a large waterfront area (for downtown Brooklyn, this would be the extended greater downtown that would include DUMBO).

Of these three, which is the more active and bustling? Which of these three have a better case for being a direct expansion of the Manhattan central business districts? Which of these do you prefer and which do you think has the brighter future?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 09:54 PM

980 posts, read 1,492,427 times
Downtown Brooklyn & LIC are most bustling. I Think LIC is ideal if you work in midtown and either downtown Brooklyn or JC is suitable if you work downtown.

I think each have similar futures. There will be a significant economic slowdown or housing bubble soon and the future is not looking as bright as some might assume. Both cities, JC & NYC, are being run by out of control left wing mayors that are piling debt on top of debt. We can only hope it won't get to the level of the 70s but I'd say both places have peaked.

De blasio and Phil Murphy look to be elected and both spell disaster.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 AM

495 posts, read 742,128 times
1. Downtown Brooklyn/ DUMBO/ Navy Yard is probably now more vibrant than most American downtowns and is getting more well-rounded by the month. It needs a better pedestrian experience and some major tenants to get full respect though. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much room to grow.
2: Jersey City: Grove Street saves this district from being a sterile office park. Newport is awful. Lucky they have great views.
3. LIC: Has the most potential with a great waterfront and connections to Midtown but its location is kinda being squandered on boring luxury towers.

Other satellite CBDs to watch are Flushing, Jamaica, North Williamsburg, 125th Street, 149th Street in the Bronx, St. George, and Hoboken. I think one of the best ways to make our public transportation more efficient is to decentralize from lower Manhattan. Wealthy residents have already started doing this and I think businesses will soon follow.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,053,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Downtown Brooklyn & LIC are most bustling. I Think LIC is ideal if you work in midtown and either downtown Brooklyn or JC is suitable if you work downtown.

I think each have similar futures. There will be a significant economic slowdown or housing bubble soon and the future is not looking as bright as some might assume. Both cities, JC & NYC, are being run by out of control left wing mayors that are piling debt on top of debt. We can only hope it won't get to the level of the 70s but I'd say both places have peaked.

De blasio and Phil Murphy look to be elected and both spell disaster.
It's always the same people that hope for some market crash, it may happen but NYC was fine and came back bustling more so than ever

Old 10-29-2017, 11:22 AM

11,449 posts, read 9,281,814 times
If you include Williamsburg in Brooklyn's greater downtown area then it definitely wins

Old 10-29-2017, 12:53 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,758,898 times
I love the Brooklyn waterfront areas. I'm at LIC most frequently because I live in Queens, but Brooklyn appeals to me much more for the restaurants, views, places to walk (along waterfront plus away from waterfront), retail around Dumbo area, etc.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:08 PM

10,780 posts, read 10,461,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If you include Williamsburg in Brooklyn's greater downtown area then it definitely wins
I don't think you can. It might actually be closer to the LIC waterfront than Dumbo.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I love the Brooklyn waterfront areas. I'm at LIC most frequently because I live in Queens, but Brooklyn appeals to me much more for the restaurants, views, places to walk (along waterfront plus away from waterfront), retail around Dumbo area, etc.
Although nice, the Dumbo one is kind of small though. The LIC one has the potential to be much larger. Problem I have with Brooklyn Bridge Park is that it is so unconnected to the neighborhood. LIC and Williamsburg are more intertwined between waterfront and neighborhood.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:15 PM

I'd say Williamsburg has gotten them all beat.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:06 PM

953 posts, read 832,838 times
LIC honestly has the most potential being so close to midtown, but the area is so overpopulated with bland residential towers and raised subway tracks. Downtown Brooklyn is more diverse when it comes to housing stock and things to do. It’s also better connected to other amazing neighborhoods (cobble hill, bk heights, ft green, etc.).

JC sucks because it’s in Jersey!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City