Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 09:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,483,847 times

Advertisements

Crisp you are right...
But in the last 10 years a new type of racist is growning... And that is status...
Is not new,,, but when others goes down this one goes up...
Also let me tell you,, not all argentinian are white, actually the minority are white. Only in Buenos Aires you will find white people, the rest of the country are brown native indians("incas" or "mayas"). Now Chile is another story.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,651,919 times
Although I am not a "person of color" (I am of European descent), I am a "minority" because I am of Hispanic origin. And no, I don't think I would mind being Indian, black, Asian, etc. because nowadays people are much more likely to judge you based on your education/profession than on your color or race. Educated, successful "people of color" I know are treated no worse than I am treated as a European-American.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM

341 posts, read 901,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Where did you get that example from? Did you make that up?
I know it does sound incredible but have you ever heard of D.W.B. (Driving While Black) or trying to hail a cab while Black?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Crisp you are right...
But in the last 10 years a new type of racist is growning... And that is status...
Is not new,,, but when others goes down this one goes up...
Also let me tell you,, not all argentinian are white, actually the minority are white. Only in Buenos Aires you will find white people, the rest of the country are brown native indians("incas" or "mayas"). Now Chile is another story.
Let's put it this way: If you were an Argentinian, would you rather be White or a P.O.C. (person of color)?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:27 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,483,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Although I am not a "person of color" (I am of European descent), I am a "minority" because I am of Hispanic origin. And no, I don't think I would mind being Indian, black, Asian, etc. because nowadays people are much more likely to judge you based on your education/profession than on your color or race. Educated, successful "people of color" I know are treated no worse than I am treated as a European-American.
Hey,,, that is what I said,
Racism on Status... meaning education or money...
This is mainly number 1 today(in my opinion)

Old 05-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter what language you speak, or where you come from, if you say you're European that means you're White. Which means you are bestowed all the privileges White people receive.

3,368 posts, read 11,651,919 times
In Argentina I would undoubtedly prefer to be white (some of my ancestors immigrated there in the early 20th century), but in the US, race matters much less. Racism, especially blatant racism seems much more of a problem in Latin America than in the United States.

PS - yes, I know that "European" means that I'm white. My point, however, is that not all white people (myself included), are WASPs (white, Anglo Saxon Protestants). "White" doesn't necessarily mean "non minority."

1,278 posts, read 4,093,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
Okay, let's put it this way, would you like to trade places with a p.o.c? As Chris Rock once noted: "No White person would want to be me, even though I'm a millionaire."

It's not about the color you are, is about the environment you grow up in. Would I mind being Asian, black, Hispanic, middle eastern etc and grow up in a safe, loving, environment, where I had good parents as role models, no I would not mind that. I am not talking about growing up rich, I am talking about growing up with options, and options are there if you have good guidance and are willing to go after them.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Hey,,, that is what I said,
Racism on Status... meaning education or money...
This is mainly number 1 today(in my opinion)
Classism and racism are two different animals.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
In Argentina I would undoubtedly prefer to be white (some of my ancestors immigrated there in the early 20th century), but in the US, race matters much less. Racism, especially blatant racism seems much more of a problem in Latin America than in the United States.

PS - yes, I know that "European" means that I'm white. My point, however, is that not all white people (myself included), are WASPs (white, Anglo Saxon Protestants).
You should explain this to Sean Bell and Rodney King.
White privilege will guarantee you will never be shot 50 times because of the color of your skin. Now are we beginning to understand each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City