Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times

Advertisements

I have been on vacation but I have returned...good comments!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM

113 posts, read 383,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Hey I have a friend that invited me for drinks in Bensonhurst, but not sure if it would be safe for me to drive there and park. There seems to be alot of recurring White on Black/Hispanic violence in these communities so not sure what will happen.

Any info would be great thanks!
What does a "Hispanic" look like?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Depends Ogden...however there are stereotypes that need not be repeated that can guide you in the general direction of what many people think Hispanics look like. You are a big boy..I think you can answer that question for yourself though. If not, feel free to wander around East Harlem, many parts of Queens, and Washington Heights...and then you will be better equipped to answer the question.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
I see some people are still over-analyzing the original post.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM

113 posts, read 383,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Depends Ogden...however there are stereotypes that need not be repeated that can guide you in the general direction of what many people think Hispanics look like. You are a big boy..I think you can answer that question for yourself though. If not, feel free to wander around East Harlem, many parts of Queens, and Washington Heights...and then you will be better equipped to answer the question.
So you're saying that a "Hispanic" look, like a sterotype, is not real? Fascinating.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Lol...I am saying you should determine for yourself!

Nooyowker...yeah they are still trying to overanalyze...but hey its my thread..I gotta deal with it!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM

191 posts, read 900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Alright this thread is such B.S. for more than one reason.

First, most of you are NOT NYers, consequently you don't have a clue about which you speak! You don't know the makeup of neighborhoods (except for the so-called trendy gentrified or gentrifying areas); and you certainly no absolutely NOTHING about the history of neighborhoods.

The subject of this post is the Brooklyn neighborhood of Bensonhurst. This neighborhood has a specific and particularly ethnic makeup AND it has a definite HISTORY.

Bensonhurst is an Italian neighborhood. It is also considered a **mafia** neighborhood. Gambino country to be exact. This reality is paramount in the neighborhoods amazing continuity given that for the last 30 years Brooklyn, became Black Brooklyn. It is not accident, nor coincidence that Bensonhurst was able to maintain itself.

If you're black traveling through or within Bensonhurst, you are best to keep to the main drag 86th Street---do your business and leave asap. Divert from the main drag and the odds of your being "challenge" is great. The odds of your being verbally assaulted is better than 75%. The odds of your being physically assasulted is about 50%. The odds of your getting a brick or bat to the head depends upon time of day. Daytime 25%, night 60%. The odds of getting shot---about nil. Being normal, means being black in Bensonhurst---being normal won't matter---being black will!
Wow.. those stats are friggin AMAZING.. especially since most of the Italians moved to the island or jersey years ago. but im sure the chinese and the russians will pick up the slack.. lol 60% chance of gettin bricked.. ahahhaha.. thats priceless

Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Alan B..although she may be exaggerating, I think her points are valid and have been proven so for decades.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM

242 posts, read 926,907 times
Default the racism on this website is disgusting

Wow lets just pull statistics out of our ass from now.

Did you a chinese man walking in east new york has a 76% of being stabbed by a african american man vs. 23% chance of being mugged by a jamacian male between between ages of 16-36?

Fact. A female who is half puerto rican and and half italian has a 30% chance of being robbed in brighton beach after 9pm by group of between 6-8 russian teens, whereas her chances of being assaulted by a german jew are only 3%

yeah some racist events happened in bensonhurst back in the day, but racist things have happened EVERYWHERE. White on black, black on white, dominican on puerto rican, italian on albanian.........

But you know what, I can guarantee that regardless of skin color your going to be alot safer in bensonhurst than you will be in 85% of the bronx.

Go watch a couple of more spike lee movies.....

Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM

88 posts, read 536,180 times
I have a habit of not reading all replies, but in response to the topic starter...my Uncle use to tell me as a kid how in Bensonhurst my Italian cousins use to wait at the subway platform and throw the blacks back on the train. LOL, could be false, I believe it to be true. These guys live in Jersey now. Go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City