Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:37 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

Transit survey ranks NYC subway best in the nation

By NY1 News | October 30, 2017 @11:48 AM

The city's subways are number one in the nation.

That's according to a new study by urban planning company Arcadis, which says the system is actually great, despite the recent surge in delays and complaints.

The subway took the top spot when it comes to sustainability.

The transit system also "fared" well in other categories like rider connectivity and wheelchair access.

But the city fell short in terms of worldwide ranking.

New York was ranked twenty-third out of 100 cities.

Hong Kong took top honors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 06:51 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
As someone who doesn't have a driver's license I DO HOPE that other cities get their subways and mass transportation up to speed because this city is becoming more and more unaffordable to live in for people like myself. What are our other options? Where do we go? Sadly, the second mass transportation gets improved rents and housing prices sky-rocket. I believe we have the best bang for our buck via transportation wise in this city, but it's getting crummier and crummier for sure. Jersey used to be a great option to live outside of NYC proper, but sadly Jersey City and the entire Gold Coast of Jersey has been infiltrated by same kinds of d-bags and alpha-families that the overly gentrified areas of Manhattan and Brooklyn have.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:53 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
And I can't seem to find an answer for this, but when the MTA goes to sensor taps does it mean they are getting rid of unlimited plans? I use the subway a LOT and love hopping on buses, i would HATE for the unlimited to go away, that in itself would make me think about moving out of this city. It's the only thing I feel worth it right now with the rents so high, at least you can use the subway and buses as many times as you want per day. I wouldn't be able to afford it if I had to pay 2.75 for each ride, that is terrible!

Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
What are our other options? Where do we go?
Philadelphia.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:03 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Of course, I don't think anywhere else even comes close except for DC maybe

Old 10-31-2017, 11:12 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,654 times
Only because it's a huge system. There are nearly 500 stations, hundreds of miles of track and 26 lines. It runs 24/7 and most areas of manhattan are within a quick walking distance of a subway station. The system would be ranked very poorly if it was much smaller and still had today's issues such as delays, dirty decaying stations, frequency of trains or overcrowding. People complain of increasing fares but they really aren't bad considering that you can cover a lot of miles for 2.75 if you do not leave the system. DC's system might be cleaner and more modern but the pay by fare zone really sucks.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:40 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
It's ranked #1 in the US, but #23 worldwide. That's really pretty sad. It's #1 just because there is no competition in the US. But I agree with the survey, the NYC Subway is the best in the nation. Which is not really saying much.

Sustainable Cities Mobility Index

Old 10-31-2017, 12:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
We are a suburban nation, so its no surprise. As with most things, NYC needs to compare against the world. Comparing with the rest of the US is just pointless on many metrics because of how terrible the US does things for better or for worse. I still recall a comment from someone in Texas on a NJ Transit twitter post stating that he thought yeah, they should be bad because they're for poor people.

Lets look to Shanghai, Tokyo, Moscow, London, Hong Kong, etc. and actually get things going instead of praising ourselves for being on the top of a garbage heap (as far as mass transit goes).

Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM

965 posts, read 1,114,064 times
I hope no one from Headquarters reads this article.

"We're the best in the entire nation! That means we don't have to improve anymore!" *starts bathing in our hard-earned money*

Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
NYC Subways trails even 3rd world countries subway system in on-time and reliability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City