Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Well, most families who want to stay in the city live in larger apartments than one-bedrooms.

You trying to make any of this about race is ridiculous. People make their living decisions around their financials, what they can afford, where their jobs are located, etc, and not whether they’re white, black, Latino, Asian.

And you rambling on and on shows that you simply haven’t paid attention to trends over the past 10-15 years which show that city growth has outpaced suburban growth. Whether that will continue remains to be seen but it’s like you haven’t paid attention to the news or the tons of articles and studies written in recent years.
Why pay attention to articles and news if they are garbage?

I lived in the hipster scene by the way, so I don't need to read up on it. People move on, and the same white people who come to Williamsburg, party it up and have a grand old time are gone in a few years. I should know because that was my social scene, and those were my friends and I went to the same schools as they did. As people move up in their careers or lives, they move on to other stuff.

This has always been the case in NYC truthfully, and really always will be.

If you want to discuss overall population growth, it's not NY. California, Texas, and Florida all have more people than NY.

The articles pimping cities out were also paid by the real estate sector, which is a major source of advertising revenues for newspapers and websites by the way. Just because something is written doesn't make it true.

As for the racial aspects of it, it's true. Most white Americans are not interested in NYC living. The people who will live in NYC for the rest of their lives are poor third world immigrants. Anyone who can do better, does better. The super rich people who can afford penthouses are a different category altogether and the white kids who come to Williamsburg or wherever for a short time are certainly not the penthouse crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 AM

I will repeat this. The majority of white Americans are not giving up their houses and cars to live in tiny NYC apartments. The majority of wealthy white Americans are not interested in living permanently in NYC.

The US has 300 million people, and NYC has only 8 million people. NYC is not the center, nor does it represent the US as a whole. Some of you apparently have never been anywhere in your lives.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Whatever, you know crap. Who cares about actual data? Your anecdotes must be reflective of the real world, right? I guess the lead economists in the country who have looked at the subject must not know anything. You’re not white yet somehow you can speak for white people. You don’t have kids yet you can speak for those who do. Whatever.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:19 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Technology changes everything

It’s a reason generations are different from one another. I am nothing like my parents in terms of needs and wants.

Many millennials don’t even want kids, woman are more focused on careers than family. Different from the era of stay at home housewives. And then add the rise of the gay community that prefer urban cities over hillbilly towns.

There were a few yuppies back then but I guarantee this generation has hoards of more free spirits that don’t want the conventional white picket fence life
Not in this case.

Everything you just listed was touted as aspects of my generation. The more things change ....

Sorry, nothing against them, but the millennials have not done much to distinguish themselves. Been there, done that.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I will repeat this. The majority of white Americans are not giving up their houses and cars to live in tiny NYC apartments. The majority of wealthy white Americans are not interested in living permanently in NYC.

The US has 300 million people, and NYC has only 8 million people. NYC is not the center, nor does it represent the US as a whole. Some of you apparently have never been anywhere in your lives.
It's true that most white Americans have no desire to live in NYC, however it's not true that all white transplants are leaving, plenty of them are 40+ and have settled here for good.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Eventually most people want kids. Many gay people also eventually leave the city for a variety of reasons. Many gays never live hillbilly towns btw.

For people who do things for their careers, they won't dedicate their lives to living in NYC. These people will go wherever it is best for their career.
That’s not true at all. I don’t know what assumptions you are making about the generations now. It’s been proven many people are settling down later in life than years before. Some people don’t want to have kids at all and there is nothing wrong with that. And many can’t afford 5 kids anymore, 1 child families are common. My parents were 1 of 10. People aren’t having that many kids anymore due to affordability

At the end of the day some people will stay some won’t. You are making all these assumptions of there not being a demand anymore when that’s not a fact which can easily be proven with rental and housing market statistics.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's true that most white Americans have no desire to live in NYC, however it's not true that all white transplants are leaving, plenty of them are 40+ and have settled here for good.
I don’t know where this guy is getting his statistics from, must be all in his head.

And most is subjective, nyc still is majority white more than any other ethnicity. When the next census comes out I bet we will see an increase due to minorities being displaced by rising rents and home prices. And a lower percentage of Hispanic and black population with rising Asian and white population

Old 11-09-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I never said all white transplants leave. I said many leave and many new ones come. That has always been the case and won't be changing.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
That’s not true at all. I don’t know what assumptions you are making about the generations now. It’s been proven many people are settling down later in life than years before. Some people don’t want to have kids at all and there is nothing wrong with that. And many can’t afford 5 kids anymore, 1 child families are common. My parents were 1 of 10. People aren’t having that many kids anymore due to affordability

At the end of the day some people will stay some won’t. You are making all these assumptions of there not being a demand anymore when that’s not a fact which can easily be proven with rental and housing market statistics.
Yes, some will stay and some won't.

No one said anything about the number of kids and certainly not five kids. At this point you've become desperate and you're reaching.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Whatever, you know crap. Who cares about actual data? Your anecdotes must be reflective of the real world, right? I guess the lead economists in the country who have looked at the subject must not know anything. You’re not white yet somehow you can speak for white people. You don’t have kids yet you can speak for those who do. Whatever.
You haven't presented any actual data and you're becoming overly emotional to the point of hysteria.

Data is not infallible. The collection of the data can be flawed. Anecdotes actually are used in academic research, along with data.

Yes, I can certainly speak for the gentrifets because I'm one of them, went to the same universities as them and I too spent much of my life in so called middle America. I am a middle American and I certainly can speak for that crowd. Most do not want to live in NYC and certainly not long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City