Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:00 PM

32 posts, read 36,843 times

Advertisements

I lived i Chelsea for five years (years ago) and loved it. It is a busy neighborhood though. In the 20's its pretty quiet and residential but, these streets are still between busy avenues with tourist attractions. You won't get away from tourists in Chelsea. Busy= Noise, people, tourists. And tbh the rents are getting ridiculous. You'd probably get a better deal in the Upper West Side. Slightly bigger apartments, cheaper rent, less tourists, Central Park, better residential atmosphere, quietness and you still get shops and restaurants and train service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi_Milano_ View Post
I lived i Chelsea for five years (years ago) and loved it. It is a busy neighborhood though. In the 20's its pretty quiet and residential but, these streets are still between busy avenues with tourist attractions. You won't get away from tourists in Chelsea. Busy= Noise, people, tourists. And tbh the rents are getting ridiculous. You'd probably get a better deal in the Upper West Side. Slightly bigger apartments, cheaper rent, less tourists, Central Park, better residential atmosphere, quietness and you still get shops and restaurants and train service.
Chelsea as a whole seems extremely busy to me

Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
They're all also rather expensive. Why not Upper West Side? Live on one of those town home blocks with Riverside Park and Central Park either in your backyard or nearby. If you can afford the ones listed, you should be able to Upper West Side.

You'll probably find Upper West Side more charming than Chelsea (overdone with modern luxury buildings and a bit overpriced and pretentious now) and TriBeCa (now more of a place to work, nothing's really affordable down there and its got an eerie feeling to it, though the schools are good). SoHo I have to admit outside of Broadway is rather charming having lived and worked there for a year (albeit in TriBeCa's zipcode, but north of Houston). West Village and certainly Greenwich Village are also very nice in regards to what you're looking for. Washington Mews is an interestingly cute block.
The Upper West Side while expensive has TONS of homeless shelters. In fact, I was in Joe Coffee this morning on Columbus and 69th, and there was a homeless guy in there drinking coffee stinking up the place, with a shopping cart outside with all of his dirty belongings in it. No thank you. I'd go for TriBeCa. It's somewhat quiet in parts, and West Broadway has great shopping and restaurants.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 01-28-2018 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 12:36 AM

478 posts, read 773,466 times
"Charming?"

And a slight tinge of nausea sets in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: