Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Lets be truthful here. Where ever they go, in my book they are not really US citizens. In my mind Puerto Rico is its own country. Im from Hawaii and its far away from mainland USA but everyone born there knows we are US citizens. In PR a lot of the people there do not even know their country status. Its like Guam. Guam isnt really part of the USA. Think of the name itself, Guam, its not English. Puerto rrrrrico is not an English name either. Most people including myself cant even pronounce Puerto Rico

But whatever. Hope everything turns out okay since they have been through a lot with the storm. Texas and Florida have been too..
Dumbest post of the year

Hawaii and California are English names? You must be trolling

Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Lets be truthful here. Where ever they go, in my book they are not really US citizens. In my mind Puerto Rico is its own country. Im from Hawaii and its far away from mainland USA but everyone born there knows we are US citizens. In PR a lot of the people there do not even know their country status. Its like Guam. Guam isnt really part of the USA. Think of the name itself, Guam, its not English. Puerto rrrrrico is not an English name either. Most people including myself cant even pronounce Puerto Rico

But whatever. Hope everything turns out okay since they have been through a lot with the storm. Texas and Florida have been too..
Funny you use Puerto Rico's Spanish name as a reason to not think of the island as anything other than its own country.

I guess California, Montana, Nevada, Florida, and Colorado are countries of their own too. After all, those names are in Spanish too.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:13 PM

402 posts, read 518,263 times
Quote:
Are you quoting photos of Puerto Rican gangs? What it has to do, is when people have no family, no skills, cant find legal jobs, they have no money, do not speak English, etc, they turn to gangs for support. Maybe they get into selling heroin and crack to your kids, or robbery. If a bunch of refugees can not get established easily they have to make money somehow and in the real world many low income people resort to crime when they have no other options.
You've got to be kidding me with that picture from the 1970's. My father and mother could have been any one of those people photographed because they too hung out on the streets of Brooklyn in those times. Oh and they are both Puerto Rican as well and never lived off the system- is that a shocker to you ? Instead, my mom decided to become a K-8th school principal to give back to her community and my dad went into real estate. So instead of thinking that Puerto Ricans are coming here to sell drugs, join gangs etc, i suggest you start to socialize with a higher caliber of Puerto Ricans so that you can actually make educated statements.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:58 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
You've got to be kidding me with that picture from the 1970's. My father and mother could have been any one of those people photographed because they too hung out on the streets of Brooklyn in those times. Oh and they are both Puerto Rican as well and never lived off the system- is that a shocker to you ? Instead, my mom decided to become a K-8th school principal to give back to her community and my dad went into real estate. So instead of thinking that Puerto Ricans are coming here to sell drugs, join gangs etc, i suggest you start to socialize with a higher caliber of Puerto Ricans so that you can actually make educated statements.
Don't take it too personally, the guy is a super obvious troll and hasn't been banned yet.

If you don't like Ricans, get the hell out of NYC!

Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
Yep. This.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:10 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:

Are you Asian? Just curious... cause if you’re not- you’re not really from Hawaii. And if you are Asian, then anyone can make the same argument you’re making about Puerto Rican’s lol

GOTCHA!

Old 11-13-2017, 05:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Are you Asian? Just curious... cause if you’re not- you’re not really from Hawaii. And if you are Asian, then anyone can make the same argument you’re making about Puerto Rican’s lol

GOTCHA!
Only if Filipino would you have the same right to Hawaii as a PR would to NY. Otherwise it would be less so of a privilege.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Only if Filipino would you have the same right to Hawaii as a PR would to NY. Otherwise it would be less so of a privilege.
Ridiculous. Asian is Asian. Native American is Native American. Almost all Hispanics have Native American ancestry meaning being in the americas is to be HOME.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Ridiculous. Asian is Asian. Native American is Native American. Almost all Hispanics have Native American ancestry meaning being in the americas is to be HOME.
Asian is not Asian, and Native American is not Native American. All other Asians have less of a right to be in Hawaii than PRs do in NY. Filipinos on the other hand have similar history to PRs. And that is excluding the fact that Filipinos, like Hawaiians, are both Austronesian.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

You might want to check out the number of Puerto Ricans killed in the Korean War, they suffered great losses.

How do you get drafted, put on a ship from San Juan and sent over to fight in Korea if you're not a US citizen?

You personally might not feel they're US citizens, but they are.

Of course the majority of Americans these days didn't know residents of PR were US citizens, of course many Americans know very little about their history of their own country as the dumbing down continues.

We have people today who WW2 was in 1967 and we were invaded by Hawaii.

You can't pronounce it? Is this something you're proud of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City