Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 12,571 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at an apartment there. It's right on the UES/Spanish Harlem border so I'm not so sure if it's safe or not. Are the pjs in the surrounding area something to be concerned about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
I'd be OK there. It's also right near Mt. Sinai Hospital and busy at all hours.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,541 times
Yes there some projects right there I think, but that area does not seem that bad to me either. I would live there. When I was looking for apartments it seemed there were some good deals to be found around where East Harlem turns into the Upper East Side.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,969,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith364 View Post
I'm looking at an apartment there. It's right on the UES/Spanish Harlem border so I'm not so sure if it's safe or not. Are the pjs in the surrounding area something to be concerned about?
the area is fairly safe, I wouldn't venture too far north especially at night, you will need the usual common sense of an urban dweller and avoid the PJs

Old 05-20-2008, 11:05 AM

307 posts, read 2,508,191 times
LOL...I can not believe what a big deal some people make....
@smith: Do you think you get shot or robbed on the daily base in Harlem??? Is that your picture of Harlem??? Lighten up....

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM

No, but parts of Harlem have a higher crime rate then other parts of Manhattan. It is perfectly logical for people unfamiliar with areas to seek advice. Just b/c you are comfortable in an area, someone else might not be. And if you are white (as I am, and I live in Central Harlem) you are not always welcomed into a neighborhood with open arms. However, there are many pluses to living in Harlem, rent prices being one.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM

842 posts, read 4,310,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
No, but parts of Harlem have a higher crime rate then other parts of Manhattan. It is perfectly logical for people unfamiliar with areas to seek advice. Just b/c you are comfortable in an area, someone else might not be. And if you are white (as I am, and I live in Central Harlem) you are not always welcomed into a neighborhood with open arms. However, there are many pluses to living in Harlem, rent prices being one.
I heard of several recent attacks/ muggings of newcomers in the Harlem area. Is there racial tension towards newcomers in Harlem?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
I heard of several recent attacks/ muggings of newcomers in the Harlem area. Is there racial tension towards newcomers in Harlem?
Well I'm a little more familiar with West Harlem ("Hamilton Heights"). That area has been gentrifying for the last 4 or 5 years I'd estimate. I still visit my parents there regularly. I have not noticed anything of the sort, nor have they told me about new people being attacked. Not saying it hasn't happened, just providing my personal experience...

Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post

Yes there is tension. I have watched a black man on the corner of 110th and lenox screaming and yelling "you're taking our F#%^ing city, you're taking our
f$#%ing city" at some white men standing in front of the new 111 central park north high rise luxury condos.

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 05-20-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM

I have also been told to get my white ass out of Harlem by a really scary looking black dude.

However, most people are nice. I love the people in my building. I am the only white person on my floor, and there are few white people in the building. Everyone else is Black or Hispanic and they are all very nice to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City