Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,579 times

Advertisements

Hi.

My family is coming from overseas and they rented a hotel room in the Time Square area. I have been to NYC maybe 10 times in my life but don't really know the city.

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) would be coming up from the Fredericksburg, VA area so it's about a 5 hour trip if we are lucky.

I hear that parking is a nightmare etc. and expensive. Not really a fan of the subways personally. We'd like to join them from Friday night and return Sunday night...perhaps getting a package of our own.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Try Googling NYC parking coupons. You might find a good deal on a garage for the weekend. Probably much cheaper than paying exorbitant hotel parking rates.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Try Googling NYC parking coupons. You might find a good deal on a garage for the weekend. Probably much cheaper than paying exorbitant hotel parking rates.
Repped for that one!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:10 PM

268 posts, read 239,698 times
Why not take the train and skip the traffic? You won't be able to drive from place to place in Manhattan so why not save yourself the expense and hassel of parking.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
Why not take the train and skip the traffic? You won't be able to drive from place to place in Manhattan so why not save yourself the expense and hassel of parking.

^^This. By the time you add up two days parking in Midtown, plus the gas and tolls you'll pay to drive, plus the food you'll buy on the way--with two kids that's inevitable--you might well end up spending less on train tickets.

Alternately you could just park at the long term lot at Newark Airport ($18 per day IIRC) and take the train or bus into the city.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Unless they are flat broke (and they probably shouldn't be coming to NYC if they are), they should just get a coupon and pay for parking nearby. To me it's not worth precious time commuting from Newark, especially with kids in tow. I would look for a reasonable garage within a 10-block radius of their hotel.

I use this site quite often. You can compare garages and get deals.

https://nyc.bestparking.com

Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
The OP doesn’t like them.

@ the OP - If you don’t like taking the subway, you should be taking taxis to get around town. Driving is not recommended to get around Manhattan. Trying to find a parking space or a parking garage at every stop is just a hassle and time consuming. Not worth it. Take taxis.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:47 PM

268 posts, read 239,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The OP doesn’t like them.

@ the OP - If you don’t like taking the subway, you should be taking taxis to get around town. Driving is not recommended to get around Manhattan. Trying to find a parking space or a parking garage at every stop is just a hassle and time consuming. Not worth it. Take taxis.
Amtrak is hardly the same thing as the subway. Amtrak to NYC and then take taxis. As close to stress free as it gets.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Not sure if it's worth replying, since it looks like the OP never returned...

But I agree, skip the car and take the train here.

If you don't like the subway, take buses. Plus which, if there are four of you, you may do just as well with taxis.

And get a couple of guidebooks.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Not sure if it's worth replying, since it looks like the OP never returned...

But I agree, skip the car and take the train here.

If you don't like the subway, take buses. Plus which, if there are four of you, you may do just as well with taxis.

And get a couple of guidebooks.
Gosh, I have only been away for 20 hrs lol! Great suggestions, reading them all. You all have been very helpful.

In part, that is the big thing. Seems like families never get a break with multiple fares and have had enough of the DC train system to not be fond of it...just not a subway fan in general after many years.

I like the Amtrak idea and not dead broke but it's a healthy chunk for 4 people round trip.

Repping everyone for the thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City