Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:23 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The new computer interlock signals on the 7 line will eventually go live. When that happens they'll be able to add more peak weekday service and make a noticeable impact (as well as avoiding failures with circa 1908 signals )
How do you keep track of when these things will happen? Is there a central repository to track progress on various MTA projects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:56 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How do you keep track of when these things will happen? Is there a central repository to track progress on various MTA projects?

"After a three year delay in starting, the project to modernize the line’s antiquated signals has been repeatedly delayed and is expected to be finished early next year at a cost of about $400 million, about $140 million more than originally budgeted"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/n...isruption.html

-------------------

NEARLY 20 MTA SIGNAL REPAIR PROJECTS BEHIND SCHEDULE
http://www.ny1.com/nyc/queens/transi...0-million.html

Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Julie Andrews: "Don't talk of love, SHOW me."

Old 11-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Julie Andrews: "Don't talk of love, SHOW me."
But do you really want greater train frequency on your beloved second avenue subway?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:31 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Doesn't really help me. Trains are awful for people working off schedule and/or weekends.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Doesn't really help me. Trains are awful for people working off schedule and/or weekends.
Depends on the line if there's scheduled maintenance. Otherwise off hours are heaven on earth because the tunnels aren't completely jammed and the trains actually take you from point a to point b without any stalling

Old 11-18-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Nearly all the additional service from that article are off peak or weekends only.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-18-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-18-2017, 09:20 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Depends on the line if there's scheduled maintenance. Otherwise off hours are heaven on earth because the tunnels aren't completely jammed and the trains actually take you from point a to point b without any stalling
It has become so tedious to get home from work at night and to even make my way there on the weekends. They are working on multiple things at a time. There are a few different ways I can get to work and often times, they're all jacked up in some way, shape or form, if they are even running at all. I am a little far from the train (home) and at night the buses are equally awful too. Most of the time there is a bus that should be running but isn't.

There are plenty of days during the week my platform in the middle of Brooklyn is full of people at midnight because the trains are out of whack.

It should take me 55-60 minutes to get home door-to-door at night. Many days it's more like 80-100 minutes on the regular, not occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nearly all the additional service from that article are off peak or weekends only.
Except that I leave work after 11 PM. Based on what you posted, it doesn't help the evening shift crowd.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
It has become so tedious to get home from work at night and to even make my way there on the weekends. They are working on multiple things at a time. There are a few different ways I can get to work and often times, they're all jacked up in some way, shape or form, if they are even running at all. I am a little far from the train (home) and at night the buses are equally awful too. Most of the time there is a bus that should be running but isn't.

There are plenty of days during the week my platform in the middle of Brooklyn is full of people at midnight because the trains are out of whack.

It should take me 55-60 minutes to get home door-to-door at night. Many days it's more like 80-100 minutes on the regular, not occasionally.

Except that I leave work after 11 PM. Based on what you posted, it doesn't help the evening shift crowd.
Sorry that doesn’t benefit you, maybe next time. I think it’s mind-boggling that MTA can’t figure out better ways to easily inform people of their plan shifts and for buses to stay on time during off-peak hours when traffic is less of a factor.

For some people this works out and the increases are almost completely not during peak period.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 PM

109 posts, read 195,923 times
Quote:
The new computer interlock signals on the 7 line will eventually go live. When that happens they'll be able to add more peak weekday service and make a noticeable impact (as well as avoiding failures with circa 1908 signals )
I hate to tell you this but it's not going to be that noticeable since it will only be able to add 2 trains more per hour Years Of 7 Train Work Will Bring Only Two New Trains Per Hour, Unlikely To Keep Pace With Development | Sunnyside Post

I hope someone told this to Governor Cuomo because he's trying to build an air train to La Guardia from the 7 line but it probably won't be able to handle all the new riders going to the airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: