Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
the lights went out frequently in cars (sometimes you would spend your entire trip in the dark)
You're right. I remember that. Yeah, the lights would flicker on and off and sometimes stayed off for 2 or 3 stations. Remember being glad that my ride was elevated so I wasn't in the total dark. Can you imagine being stuck in the dark with some creep. Shudder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 PM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
You're right. I remember that. Yeah, the lights would flicker on and off and sometimes stayed off for 2 or 3 stations. Remember being glad that my ride was elevated so I wasn't in the total dark. Can you imagine being stuck in the dark with some creep. Shudder.
I think the trains were so filthy and dirty, everyone was afraid of touching each other for fear of catching cooties.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:16 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
I think the trains were so filthy and dirty, everyone was afraid of touching each other for fear of catching cooties.
The normal ones, yes. The crazies. Ummm. No... They didn't care.

My worst fear was getting stuck in the dark on a train going thru a long tunnel. Never happened thank goodness. But the thought did cross my mind.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Don't forget, City Hall is trying to bring all that back.

New York City is about to become a lot more disgusting

- public urination
- loud music any and everywhere
- dancing in train cars

Things they know we need more of.
Lowlifes taking full advantage of this repeal already. Trains & stations smell of p|ss, sidewalk urine is making a big comeback. Just last month by city hall some guy had his thing out of his pants facing pedestrians taking a whiz right there without a care in the world, in the shadow of the recently minted "David Dinkins Municipal Building", DeBlasio's idol.

Well done bozo, f'ing a-hole mayor from hell

Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
No, that is definitely 1987. That's exactly how the trains looked when I started commuting to high school. Ankhs were also a thing back then for some reason (the Egyptian symbol on the necklace the woman in red is wearing); I had a pair of ankh earrings around this time.
Someone could have made a prop just like that.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post

Seriously? There were no giddy/flamboyant people in the 80s in NYC?

Also...did you even look out the window of the train? And see street after street of 80s Brooklyn?
If there were, they wouldnt be randomly acting like that while trying to take public transit. It is/was seen as immature. Nowadays though, you have these pretentious hipsters and LGBT walking around letting every passerby know that their are indeed just that kind of person. People back then did not see that as a cultural norm nor feel the need to send out the signal at all times.

If that is some homemade video from the 80s, I doubt you just so happened to run into that while filming. It seems like it is forced.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Kind of a silly post, it's a huge city and had/has all different kinds of people. What is the "NYC you know"?

And it proves my point that even pre-gentrification, most people did not have stereotypical NYC accents. Although, I don't know whether or not the people in the video are tourists.
Maybe not the thick accent you hear in movies, but most everyone sounded like they from here or can be pinpointed to this general region. The way they were talking in the vid sounds forced.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
This is based on the myth that NYC during the 1970s and 1980s was nothing but this angry, belligerent place where everyone had a chip on their shoulder and you were a minute away from being stabbed. Ironically, NYC was the opposite; it was exactly the kind of wacky, free spirited place where you would see people like this all the time.
Not while randomly walking to and from public transit. Again, there was no cultural pressure back then to send out the signals all the time.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:14 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Maybe not the thick accent you hear in movies, but most everyone sounded like they from here or can be pinpointed to this general region. The way they were talking in the vid sounds forced.
I think you're overthinking it. Were you born in like 1988? How can you even remember?

Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 AM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Someone could have made a prop just like that.
Did they also fake Michael Musto, the guy with the dark hair and glasses, who's now in his 60s?

And hate to break it to you, but yes, there were people like this in NYC back in the day. Those people were a major part of that whole clubbing/gay scene back when NYC actually had cool and interesting scenes and characters like this walking around. NYC was a very interesting place back then; you would've seen people like this there, but mostly in the Village.

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 12-01-2017 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: