Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

I drove through it a few nights ago and it really didn't look like a bad neighborhood at all, it seemed like your run of the mill Queens neighborhood.

And per the NYPD stats, its precinct does not seem to be dangerous, very few homicides and the violent crime overall does not seem to be higher than NYC average.

I think its bad reputation comes from the fact it's known as being heavily Hispanic, even from people who've never stepped foot there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 06:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
It has more crime than the run of the mill Queens neighborhood, but its not Brooklyn/Bronx ghetto. I don't think of it as a bad neighborhood, but more so of just an illegal immigrant neighborhood. It probably has a higher percentage of illegal immigrants than anywhere else in the city, so probably has the highest percentage of unreported crime as well. Also it is becoming more and more Asian as it is squeezed in between Elmhurst to the west and Flushing to the east. I definitely would not raise my children there because of the number of kids that can't speak english in non-ESL classes.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Lots of gang activity. MS-13 is very active in Corona

Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It has more crime than the run of the mill Queens neighborhood, but its not Brooklyn/Bronx ghetto. I don't think of it as a bad neighborhood, but more so of just an illegal immigrant neighborhood. It probably has a higher percentage of illegal immigrants than anywhere else in the city, so probably has the highest percentage of unreported crime as well. Also it is becoming more and more Asian as it is squeezed in between Elmhurst to the west and Flushing to the east. I definitely would not raise my children there because of the number of kids that can't speak english in non-ESL classes.
Well that's a fair point. But as far as a place for someone without kids to live, or as far as a place to visit, it doesn't seem bad.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Lots of gang activity. MS-13 is very active in Corona
They're more active in Suffolk County. And the precinct Corona is in has been having little to no homicides per year, with a population of perhaps over 150,000 people.

In fact, the vast majority of the MS-13 activity around here is centered around Long Island (Brentwood and Central Islip in particular) rather than NYC proper.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well that's a fair point. But as far as a place for someone without kids to live, or as far as a place to visit, it doesn't seem bad.
If single I might consider living there to save a buck or two. Especially with it being located between arguably the two best culinary neighborhoods in all the city. If female not so sure--the cat-calling has got to be annoying.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If single I might consider living there to save a buck or two. Especially with it being located between arguably the two best culinary neighborhoods in all the city. If female not so sure--the cat-calling has got to be annoying.
Jackson Heights and Flushing? Yeah, plus the stuff Corona itself has, and Lemon Ice King in the summer.

I didn't know catcalling was particularly bad there, it seems like it can happen anywhere in Manhattan or North/Central Brooklyn anyway.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:01 AM

375 posts, read 323,436 times
Quote:
They're more active in Suffolk County. And the precinct Corona is in has been having little to no homicides per year, with a population of perhaps over 150,000 people.

In fact, the vast majority of the MS-13 activity around here is centered around Long Island (Brentwood and Central Islip in particular) rather than NYC proper.
100% correct!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:08 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:

You’re correct. They are more active in LI. Doesn’t mean that Corona isn’t plagued with the problems that come with them having a presence there. More so than any other neighborhood in Queens.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Corona is overcrowded , primarily Hispanic, not all illegal immigrants, but some old timers of Dominican and Italian descent. Corona is split up in sections, Italians south of the LIRR tracks, Spanish north of those tracks, and Afro Carribean and black , north of 34 th avenue.

Junction Blvd train stop, the express stop , is the heart of Corona, and gets you to times square under 30 minutes on the #7 line express.

It can be safe, if you take normal precautions, like not wandering around after midnight, and not putting yourself in problems. If you park your car on the streets, it might be messed with. you wont really find as many wolfpacks of teens looking for a fight, like in other boros. It is not that cheap to live in Corona, and there are way too many apartment buildings. $1700 for a small 1 br apartment, in a newish building, is not my idea of cheap.

The location is good, as Flushing Meadows Park is nearby, and the #7 line offers transfers for the E or F line at 74 th street/Roosevelt station. Laguardia Airport is near by, if you take frequesnt flights. The schools may be over crowded, but new schools have been built. And as others have mentioned, very good access to good eats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City