Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:20 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallysilver View Post
Most of Far Rockaway is poor and minority however part of it is Jewish middle class to upper middle class. Those blocks are fairly crime-free and you see /hear many children playing in their yards and on the sidewalk without fear. They are Orthodox but if you act straight they will not assume that you are gay and will just consider you an outsider. In fact, if you let them know that you are not Jewish and if they need a light turned on or off on Friday night to use you they will appreciate your offer.
I doubt OP will be living in Bayswater, or what they call "West Lawrence." Both of those neighborhoods are at least a half hour walk from the hospital. Not ideal late at night in the winter.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Also at least I have 1 ride direct to the city for work. It's about an hour, but I catch up on sleep or read. For me it works, for many others it doesn't.
You're the only one I know who likes being in Far Rockaway. Most people I know who grew up there couldn't get away fast enough. As soon as they had the means, they got out and fast. Glad you like where you're at but isn't it really inconvenient if the A line is down for whatever reason. Aren't you pretty much stuck. I recall the Rockaways getting hit really badly by Superstorm Sandy and worried for Dean Meminger of NY1 during his coverage of the Rockaways at the height of the storm. He was holed up at some hotel and from his vantage point saw debris and cars go floating by while the waters were quickly rising. I was worried for his safety just watching it all unfold.

I don't know about these storm reporters covering hurricanes at it's height. What a way to make a living.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
You're the only one I know who likes being in Far Rockaway. Most people I know who grew up there couldn't get away fast enough. As soon as they had the means, they got out and fast. Glad you like where you're at but isn't it really inconvenient if the A line is down for whatever reason. Aren't you pretty much stuck. I recall the Rockaways getting hit really badly by Superstorm Sandy and worried for Dean Meminger of NY1 during his coverage of the Rockaways at the height of the storm. He was holed up at some hotel and from his vantage point saw debris and cars go floating by while the waters were quickly rising. I was worried for his safety just watching it all unfold.

I don't know about these storm reporters covering hurricanes at it's height. What a way to make a living.
I mean, worst case scenario is I'm late to work. It's part of taking in stride of where I live. Just like how those who live in Long Island have to frequently worry about LIRR cancellations - even when the weather's fine. Plus I have the SBS 52 bus now which runs down Cross Bay and Woodhaven, and it stops right on my block, so it's not like I'm completely isolated, I always had the 22 to the 35 to the 2 train if I was in real dire straits. It's all relative. If I wanted to live a life free of natural disasters, I would move to Pittsburgh, which is the biggest city in the US that experiences the least amount of natural disasters due to its location. Plus its cheap out here, and I have always strived to keep my housing costs as low as possible, because the prices keep going up, and why bother to be in a location that I have to worry about getting priced out of in 10 years. You play the rat race, and get promotions and raises for what, it all keeps going up anyway....

From a C-D perspective, I don't even know of any other regular posters from Far Rockaway on here...

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 11-22-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
KK,

There is no building in Wavecrest that is taller than 6 stories, you may have visited Ocean Park on Beach 17th Street, which is close by. Those 2 buildings are 27 stories each.

Thanks SF...I am certain of the "Wavecrest" part, the very cheap rent, and the tall red towers (perhaps 27 stories.) It was so long ago that perhaps I am a bit muddled on anything else.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thanks SF...I am certain of the "Wavecrest" part, the very cheap rent, and the tall red towers (perhaps 27 stories.) It was so long ago that perhaps I am a bit muddled on anything else.
Nahh, 100% sure it wasn't Wavecrest you were looking at. The only complexes around there that tall are Ocean Park and Brookdale Village. Brookdale Village is for seniors only, run by JASA.

There's also Seaview Towers, which is a M-L rental, but that's 10 blocks away from Wavecrest.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 AM

881 posts, read 614,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Um, how about fighting fires in a volcano like they do in (yes, "in" and not "on" or "at") Mount Ijen in Indonesia?? No joke -- now there's a job that could really use some automation pronto!!

Off-topic I know but I just thought you might want to revise your sympathies! Very people folks in the First World need it, relatively speaking.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:33 AM

881 posts, read 614,798 times
Quote:
If I wanted to live a life free of natural disasters, I would move to Pittsburgh, which is the biggest city in the US that experiences the least amount of natural disasters due to its location. Plus its cheap out here....
Pittsburgh? That's a great idea -- if I can't find "reasonable" accommodations here I may just take my savings and pack off to Pittsburgh, then: it's a college town, they're cheap and no natural disasters, and there's gonna be a need for Big Data and A.I. workers there (which is what I'd do, learning it on my own through the free resources online while living off savings for like a year)....

S-c-r-3-w this town, then; I may just go off to the Pittsburgh forum now!! XD

Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Pittsburgh? That's a great idea -- if I can't find "reasonable" accommodations here I may just take my savings and pack off to Pittsburgh, then: it's a college town, they're cheap and no natural disasters, and there's gonna be a need for Big Data and A.I. workers there (which is what I'd do, learning it on my own through the free resources online while living off savings for like a year)....

S-c-r-3-w this town, then; I may just go off to the Pittsburgh forum now!! XD
That's the spirit! Get it where you can fit in...

Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 AM

377 posts, read 509,218 times
Quote:
I'm from here, lived out here my whole life. Same thing with my wife. I actually wanted an opportunity to invest in the hood that made me what I am, so when the opportunity came, I made the best of it. I love the beach. It's cheap (for NYC standards) and its what I can afford to own. Also at least I have 1 ride direct to the city for work. It's about an hour, but I catch up on sleep or read. For me it works, for many others it doesn't. Can't beat walking with your whole crew 15 deep on the Boardwalk watching 4th of July fireworks, and then walking home.

I'm at the stage of life where I have a family and I don't need bars and restaurants around me either (although that is slowly changing).

At this point I don't think I could live anywhere else in the city to be honest. This is home. I'm comfortable as hell here.
Thanks for your response. It sounds as if Far Rock. has given you a nice family life. I have always wondered about life in these far reaches of our fair city. I have fond memories of a few childhood trips to Rockaway beach; we rode on those subway cars that had wicker seats. But that is a contrast to the Far Rockaway stories I read about today.

Happy thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:53 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
My aunt used to live in Far Rockaway back in the 60's and 70's. She said it was nice back then, but her and her husband later bought a home in Upstate NY. They later returned to visit, but said the area had changed drastically. (I guess like everything else in NYC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City