Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you’re looking for a work, I’ll pay you a twenty to sponge bath a homeless person with untreated schizophrenia.
Seem to be offering money left and right of late. Did you hit the lotto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 AM

881 posts, read 614,909 times
Quote:
I’d donate to a charity that washes and grooms homeless people, then puts them in some clean clothes from goodwill or something. Does that exist?
No -- 'cause it's pointless; the homeless who stink it up (whether in shelters or actually on the streets literally) weren't raised to value cleanliness.

I personally prefer right-wing death-squads for this kind of work but the political will isn't there....

Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,215 times
I see people jumping the turnstiles all the time. I blame Bill de blasio for ending broken windows. It does make cop's jobs easier but puts the public in danger and makes the city feel like a sh!thole.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
No -- 'cause it's pointless; the homeless who stink it up (whether in shelters or actually on the streets literally) weren't raised to value cleanliness.

I personally prefer right-wing death-squads for this kind of work but the political will isn't there....
I actually don't think it's pointless. I think even a temporary reprieve takes a while to completely muck up again. It's also a feedback loop for serious derangement among some homeless people where the state of being homeless makes it difficult to look and appear anything but which then reinforces people's interactions as them as pariahs which then feeds more into their isolation and lessens their will to appear and act normal. I have one friend who grew up with his mother in the streets and then in a shelter and he's got some pretty interesting experiences, but the biggest thing is noticing the bad feedback loops that are extremely difficult to get out of and the one of buffing up personal appearances and hygiene is one that he thought was particularly instrumental in how they got out (that and getting tubes tied to not have another kid).

Old 11-29-2017, 11:14 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
E has always been the bum train because it never goes above ground. I've been going to raves and coming home at 3-5a from a lot of Queens, always past Jackson Heights and usually before Jamaica Center. It's felt that way since the moment I first moved here in 2010.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,527 times
Love it.... less Midwesterns coming or staying....

Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I see people jumping the turnstiles all the time. I blame Bill de blasio for ending broken windows. It does make cop's jobs easier but puts the public in danger and makes the city feel like a sh!thole.
Broken Windows was all right and made a lot of sense. Funny that liberals devalue "quality of life" when it involves the black and brown!

I wish folks could just be sensible, for Christ's sake, instead of everything being about racism all the time...it's cries of racism at every turn that engender more racism!!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Lol. It's hilarious that conservatives are claiming homelessness as their issue, when Bloomberg was the one who shut down section 8 vouchers leaving thousands of people to sleep on the subway
I don't know about conservatives and homelessness (though Bloomberg more [neo-] liberal than conservative) but the homeless who sleep on the subways aren't necessarily Section 8 voucher rejects...many are nuts, some are just "hanging out" in the subway temporarily (for instance, got kicked out of a shelter for threatening behavior [and given the incredibly low standards at the shelters, you have to be a real hell-raiser to get kicked out, usually -- though, to be fair, the staff are usually just non-white Trump supporter types])....

Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And the N and R happen to run through the mayor's neighborhood.
Ah, okay, thanks for the observation -- makes sense!

I was going to venture that a large part of the routes run through Italian and Chinese nabes, and Italians and Chinese aren't the type to give to bums, generally, which would discourage the bums' "frequent rider miles" on these lines...!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I actually don't think it's pointless. I think even a temporary reprieve takes a while to completely muck up again.
Let me tell you this: you probably have in mind homeless like me -- someone whose homelessness is almost entirely a financial matter -- but someone like me wouldn't be in rags smelling of urine and feces.

With those folks, it's never "temporary"...it's truly a lifestyle.

Quote:
It's also a feedback loop for serious derangement among some homeless people where the state of being homeless makes it difficult to look and appear anything but which then reinforces people's interactions as them as pariahs which then feeds more into their isolation and lessens their will to appear and act normal.
I invite you to save on rent for a year and try out a homeless shelter -- that'll cure you your "romanticism!"

No doubt such a negative feedback loop exists, but it doesn't exist because these folks just need a chance...they're too far gone mentally.

Quote:
I have one friend who grew up with his mother in the streets and then in a shelter and he's got some pretty interesting experiences, but the biggest thing is noticing the bad feedback loops that are extremely difficult to get out of and the one of buffing up personal appearances and hygiene is one that he thought was particularly instrumental in how they got out (that and getting tubes tied to not have another kid).
Erm, well, that's why there's free soap and hot water at the shelters.

I've been in more than five now and no matter the quality (and they vary widely), every one's always had free soap and hot water.

But those folks stinkin' up the subways...it's a mental problem, not a plumbing issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: