Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:25 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I still hear/use Van Wick, though Van Wike is actually correct if I'm not mistaken.

I've always thought of Spuyten Duyvil as "Spite-in Deevle" so I was pretty close
Yes the locals do say *Spite-in* in the first part when said fast, but if on Metro-North when approaching the Spuyten Duyvil Metro-North station, will hear the automated announcement which is said carefully (Spy-ten Die-vul), but no one locally says it that way. They all say *Spite-in Die-vul*. Seems as if more recently one can hear *South Riverdale* used to get around saying Spuyten Duyvil, as Spuyten Duyvil is a subsection of Riverdale (the southernmost part), but it is treated as a neighborhood in and of itself. Years ago Is-ham was what one would think of when Isham street appeared, but heard a man who grew up in Inwood say it and he says *I-sh-hem* street, with an emphasis on the *I* at the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 06:37 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes the locals do say *Spite-in* in the first part when said fast, but if on Metro-North when approaching the Spuyten Duyvil Metro-North station, will hear the automated announcement which is said carefully (Spy-ten Die-vul), but no one locally says it that way. They all say *Spite-in Die-vul*. Seems as if more recently one can hear *South Riverdale* used to get around saying Spuyten Duyvil, as Spuyten Duyvil is a subsection of Riverdale (the southernmost part), but it is treated as a neighborhood in and of itself. Years ago Is-ham was what one would think of when Isham street appeared, but heard a man who grew up in Inwood say it and he says *I-sh-hem* street, with an emphasis on the *I* at the beginning.
That's weird, I would have guessed that such a street is pronounced "Ish-um"

And Dyckman I pronounce Dikeman, but I think everyone does

Old 11-25-2017, 06:40 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
And for any future tourists reading this thread, Houston Street is pronounced "House-tin"

Old 11-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
That's weird, I would have guessed that such a street is pronounced "Ish-um"

And Dyckman I pronounce Dikeman, but I think everyone does
The ending with the *um/em* is the same. Beginning is the interesting part.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
I've been curious about the proper pronunciations of several street names in NYC

DeKalb (I say dee-kalb)
For DeKalb, the train says, "Deh-kalb." It has more of a soft "de" sound according to the computer.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:32 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
It drives me crazy when I hear people pronouncing Roosevelt Ave as "RUSE-eh-velt" instead of the correct ROSE-eh-velt. It's like these people have slept through their entire US history classes in high school. I'll give a pass to the new Americans or immigrants among us, but people who grew up here really ought to know.

Correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR9GYT8Du8I

There has been much debate about the correct pronunciation of Roosevelt's last name, however, in several letters Theodore Roosevelt himself specifies the correct pronunciation. In a letter to the Rev. William W. Moir dated October 10, 1898 he writes:

As for my name, it is pronounced as if it was spelled "Rosavelt." That is in three syllables. The first syllable as if it was "Rose."

Source: Theodore Roosevelt Cyclopedia, pages 534-535. Available online at Home - Theodore Roosevelt Association

Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
For DeKalb, the train says, "Deh-kalb." It has more of a soft "de" sound according to the computer.
Brooklynites always say *dee-Kalb*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It drives me crazy when I hear people pronouncing Roosevelt Ave as "RUSE-eh-velt" instead of the correct ROSE-eh-velt. It's like these people have slept through their entire US history classes in high school. I'll give a pass to the new Americans or immigrants among us, but people who grew up here really ought to know.

Correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR9GYT8Du8I

There has been much debate about the correct pronunciation of Roosevelt's last name, however, in several letters Theodore Roosevelt himself specifies the correct pronunciation. In a letter to the Rev. William W. Moir dated October 10, 1898 he writes:

As for my name, it is pronounced as if it was spelled "Rosavelt." That is in three syllables. The first syllable as if it was "Rose."

Source: Theodore Roosevelt Cyclopedia, pages 534-535. Available online at Home - Theodore Roosevelt Association
This is more of a New Yorker thing. Old time natives will say Ruse-eh-velt mainly if they have a strong accent.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Possibly an uneducated native New Yorker thing. Just like I was saying, those who slept through U.S. history class. If it were an issue of Ny accent, then do they say, I'm going to get my wife some rooh-ses for valentines day, or in going to Joo's house (instead of Joe)? Guess not. So the theory about the accent is wrong.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Possibly an uneducated native New Yorker thing. Just like I was saying, those who slept through U.S. history class. If it were an issue of Ny accent, then do they say, I'm going to get my wife some rooh-ses for valentines day, or in going to Joo's house (instead of Joe)? Guess not. So the theory about the accent is wrong.
You are not a native so you wouldn't know, and it's insulting for you to make assumptions about one's education solely based on how they say a word. Am sure you have an accent too from whatever small town you came from. We can make a lot of assumptions about you too. The whole Ruse-eh-velt thing is a native thing, and you wouldn't understand it and never will. If you're gonna come here and be all holier than thou why not go back where you came from?

Old 11-25-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You are not a native so you wouldn't know, and it's insulting for you to make assumptions about one's education solely based on how they say a word.
I'm glad you feel insulted. You should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City