Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:38 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This is exactly right. It's the Europeans who bring bedbugs to New York City - and people from Turkey. (I'm quoting from someone who had them - and she was European herself, who said she got it from Turkey).
Wikipedia says they may have originated in the Middle East.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Not really as European traveles has been the known cause of bed bugs infestation
Could you please post your evidence for the above? What is the source of this information?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 AM

89 posts, read 74,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They don't need leases to live come there. It's perfectly legal to rent out a room in NYC. Besides,some of these people could be visiting relatives or friends. If you're taking people's laundry out and throwing on the floor, you are the one who needs to be reported to the landlord and kicked out in the street, and your dog placed in the pound.

I guess you're a real animal lover, huh?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
Could you please post your evidence for the above? What is the source of this information?
I should say bedbugs come from tourist (our largest tourist into New York are Europeans).

Europeans blame american tourist, americans blame european tourist. Europe, US, Canada etc has had a huge outbreak over the years thanks to increasing travel abroad.

If people think its smart to allow thousands of tourist to stay in a rental buildings without regulations. Get ready for another big outbreak

Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
I guess you're a real animal lover, huh?
No. I just have a thing about facts. Sorry, that's my weakness. And I'm curious as to what informs people's opinions, especially those that seem grounded in purely anecdotal evidence.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:40 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
No. I just have a thing about facts. Sorry, that's my weakness. And I'm curious as to what informs people's opinions, especially those that seem grounded in purely anecdotal evidence.
Well, in my case, it was a lady who is European and who told me that Europe gets them from Turkey. She told me this directly. I'm not even trying to be funny or sarcastic.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:14 PM

That's merely anecdotal evidence, and not a basis for making general statements (I have no idea how I'm coming off, and my intention is not to sound rude; I'm just stating a fact).

Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yep, free for all

Then when the LL figures out that he can make more money through AirBnB rather than renewing your lease thats when the real fun begins
This has already been happening in our building. At least 2 of the apartments here are permanently empty and function as 24/7/365 AirBnB spots. The landlord has a guy come in every so often to drop linen and towels off at the laundry and to lie and say that he lives "here" ("here" being whichever apartment he is seen leaving out of) even though it's a known fact that he doesn't. Landlord also seems to be renting out mailboxes since the mailboxes for these two apartments are always filled with mail for people who don't live here and there are always a ton of packages for people who don't live here (the mailbox for one of these apartments is currently unlocked and open because it's so jammed up with mail and includes mail for no fewer than 7 different people. The apartments here are nearly all 2 bedrooms). There are for sure people who do not live here who have access to keys to our front door via these "side hustles" our landlord has running.

The AirBnB people increased the trash to the point that the landlord gets almost weekly citations from the sanitation department, have had loud, all night rooftop parties that have left broken glass bottles all over our staircases, left trash bags in the hallways, stolen packages (yup, ironic giving what I said above), rang doorbells nonstop to the point where police have had to be called on three separate occasions, and just been a general nuisance. Oh, and one of them brought in bed bugs. The problem got squashed (pun intended) pretty quickly and our apartment didn't get too infested, but furniture did have to be tossed and re-purchased (took the money out of the rent and included receipts). One AirBnB guest even managed to get herself hurt tripping down the stairs and left a nice little trail of blood for us to clean up (the "laundry guy" thankfully took care of it). Can't imagine what would have happened if she had actually gotten really hurt beyond the gash she got on her arm.

We complained to the landlord until we realized that, despite his protests, he was in on it. We complained to the city and nothing has been done. We managed to snag a decent deal here, but we're ready to bail and move out, at which point I'm sure our place will be turned into another AirBnB (I'm sure the only reason it wasn't converted before we moved it is because we initially subletted it from the previous tenant). If these were bad neighbors, it'd be one thing because all us actual tenants could come together and demand the landlord evict them, or even call the police when it gets too rowdy. But with AirBnB, by the time you take action, they're gone. The times we did call the police, we were told to bring it to housing court but who has the time/energy/money for that?

Overall, I'm against the idea of this type of AirBnB. Want to rent out your private home? Fine. Want to rent out a room in your apartment? Great. But renting out whole apartments in residential buildings shouldn't be allowed. It's crazy that there are homeless families living in hotels and tourists renting out apartments.

Last edited by eevee; 11-28-2017 at 08:07 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 08:07 PM

It isn't allowed, and you should press it with housing court. Get together with the other tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: