Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 24,798 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to New York in August, and I have already read a lot of information on this board, but I'm still having trouble deciding where to live. Specifically, I'm trying to decide between living in Manhattan in the East 60s or 50s (or possibly other nabes near E and F lines) versus living in Forest Hills. (I'll be working in Queens while my wife works in Midtown. These areas were chosen based on commute times and other prior research.)

The benefits of Queens seem obvious to me: less expensive, more space, and we can keep our car (although, paradoxically, I also like the idea of not needing one). The benefits of Manhattan seem less obvious to me (other than the commute), but it still holds a certain allure; we're curious about what life in the City is like. Basically, what is it that's so great about living in Manhattan that you don't get from living in Queens?

Some info about our family and our preferences: My wife and I are 30-ish and have a 2 year old. We don't care at all about bars, nightlife, or anything hip or trendy. Restaurants, however, are very important to us, and we like to have easy access to a wide variety of affordable Asian restaurants (especially Indian, Japanese, and authentic Chinese). We have almost no interest in expensive restaurants (= most entrees over 30 bucks). We're interested in shows and art museums, but not with high frequency (perhaps once a month, if that). Convenient access to grocery shopping and other everyday needs is also desirable. We want to have access to parks where other kids play, as well as other kid-friendly destinations, and a neighborhood that's just generally nice to walk around in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM

139 posts, read 921,994 times
to make long story short.queens for the most part has a laid back suburban type feel to it where as manhattan has that citylife feel to it.you should mess with forest hills ,nice neighborhood

Old 03-19-2008, 04:26 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,855,765 times
Because you have a child, I'd say that Forest Hills would suit you better. You can send your child to a decent public school and save the money you'd spend in Manhattan on a private school.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,026,177 times
Since great inexpensive ethnic food sounds important to you, you might enjoy this NY Times article by Seth Kugel about Jackson Heights (which is the third stop on the E and F into Queens, one stop before Forest Hills). http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/re...e/31cover.html It's called "Moving for the Food"

I have written alot about Jackson Heights in the past on this board - you could do a search and bring some stuff up if it interests you.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,166,332 times
I would aim for the best of the both worlds. Queens but still close to Manhattan (i.e. Forest Hills, or Astoria). I don't think it gets much better than that in the city.

You would be close to Manhattan but you would still be close to all the great ethnic restaurants in Jackson Heights.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM

And here's another NY times article about Jackson Heights - this one is more kid-centric.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/re...te/26habi.html

Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,166,332 times
Kew Gardens is another nice neighborhood in Queens.

I like J. Heights but, I've always liked it more as a place to visit. It just seems so crowded and loud sometimes. Although to be fair F. Hills can be like that too. Out of the three I like Astoria the most to live.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Kew Gardens is another nice neighborhood in Queens.

I like J. Heights but, I've always liked it more as a place to visit. It just seems so crowded and loud sometimes. Although to be fair F. Hills can be like that too. Out of the three I like Astoria the most to live.
Actually, the historic district in JH is extremely quiet. I've never lived in such a quiet place. I face the garden in the back (most of the pre-wars in the historic district have large private gardens) and the first thing everyone always comments on once they are inside my place is how quiet it is. However, after I get outside and walk half a block to 37th Ave, there are definitely lots of shoppers and people out - but it's a good kind of busy-ness. And of course Roosevelt Ave is noisy with the 7 trian running over head, and I tend to avoid that area except when I need to take the 7 train or run an errand there (not often).

Before I lived here, I visited twice and had the same perception as you - that it is noisy and wouldn't want to live here. That's because as a visitor I was going to places like the huge Indian market and sticking close to the subway station.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,268,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think it's loud on Roosevelt Av and by 74th St and 82nd St, but the blocks along 34 and 35 Aves are quiet and beautiful. I'd actually pick Astoria last, but that's why it's important to get a range of opinions and then come check out places for yourself.

Manhattan is a unique experience, in that everything imaginable is within a couple of blocks in many areas, but it's more expensive, noisier, and more cramped than Forest Hills, JH, or Astoria.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 AM

274 posts, read 1,106,328 times
How did you narrow it down between East 50s/60s and Queens? East 50s/60s is the polar opposite of any outerborough. It's the land to Park Ave. and Fifth Ave.

My vote is Manhattan. Queens is just like any other indistinguishable urban area in the U.S., with the same old urban problems, except that it's overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City