Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 03:08 AM

191 posts, read 220,492 times

Advertisements

Anyone have gone through the experience on changing name on your high school diploma with the D.O.E here in nyc? And have a new one reissue with a different name.

Ok here’s the brief story. I have my high school diploma from ’94, a few years back I became a US citizen and in the process I decided to make some changes to my name that is different from what it is on the diploma (my parents had the bright idea of giving me a very lengthy complicated name so I decided to shortened it to just one name and one last name.)

I’m currently employed at a hospital but if I want to change departments or go to another company they are asking to see HS or GED diploma. I could obviously bring my old diploma, and provide the official name change document to explain the discrepancy. But in all honesty I rather avoid such scenario that can raise flags with HR recruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 08:04 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
You can't. The only way is to bring the document that shows your name change during naturalization of becoming a citizen.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post

I’m currently employed at a hospital but if I want to change departments or go to another company they are asking to see HS or GED diploma. I could obviously bring my old diploma, and provide the official name change document to explain the discrepancy. But in all honesty I rather avoid such scenario that can raise flags with HR recruits.
My degrees are in my maiden name and my state license for my profession is in my married name.

No one has asked me for proof of a name change, but when I fill out applications I am always asked to provide any previous names.

Just be prepared to bring the paperwork if they need to see it. It's not a flag---name changes happen all of the time for a variety of reasons. It's not a big deal.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:00 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
You can't. The only way is to bring the document that shows your name change during naturalization of becoming a citizen.

Wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but no, that advice is incorrect.

A simple Google search will bring up how to change one's name and even gender on school records/high school diploma.

Rules were changed and spelled out more clearly recently as part of the push for transgender "equality" or whatever. That is NYS and NYC felt bad if Chuck Jones became Charlene Jones and would have to out himself by supplying copy of high school diploma and or school records with a different name and or gender.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:12 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
The job will require you to bring the actual document to them?? I highly doubt they would do that.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 PM

191 posts, read 220,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The job will require you to bring the actual document to them?? I highly doubt they would do that.
Yup some jobs will ask you to bring your high school diploma to an interview.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
Yup some jobs will ask you to bring your high school diploma to an interview.
I never had a job ask me to bring my HS or college diploma. What jobs are you applying to?

Old 12-04-2017, 04:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I don't see how....since your name change wasn't in effect at the time you graduated H.S.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I don't see how....since your name change wasn't in effect at the time you graduated H.S.
Court ordered name change "wasn't in effect" when someone's parent or parents filled out their birth record, yet a new birth certificate will be provided upon application showing proper proof (said court order).

You obviously have no clue, since it is common practice for *all* information related to someone to be changed upon a legal court order, which is just that. Some documents can be changed with lesser documents such as a marriage license.

Women don't bother changing their school records upon marriage because it is not necessary. If and or when applying for something that required a copy of say high school or college diploma it is understood a maiden name can be different from married.

By and large many persons don't bother changing school records even after a court ordered name change unless there is some strong reason. Sex change, witness protection program, etc.... But simply fill out forms by ticking the box "please give all other names used....." and supplying the other name or names.

For the benefit of yourself and others there are certain jobs and positions where they *do* request and verify things going back to school records. Military, FBI, and other security clearances for both government and private enterprises often require extensive vetting. The higher up the food chain one is going the deeper will be the background check.

Finally in the case of school records much like birth certificates in many areas the originals are not destroyed. Merely amended documents are provided reflecting the new name, with a notation in file as to what and why things happened (copy of court order, etc...).

Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Court ordered name change "wasn't in effect" when someone's parent or parents filled out their birth record, yet a new birth certificate will be provided upon application showing proper proof (said court order).

You obviously have no clue, since it is common practice for *all* information related to someone to be changed upon a legal court order, which is just that. Some documents can be changed with lesser documents such as a marriage license.

Women don't bother changing their school records upon marriage because it is not necessary. If and or when applying for something that required a copy of say high school or college diploma it is understood a maiden name can be different from married.

By and large many persons don't bother changing school records even after a court ordered name change unless there is some strong reason. Sex change, witness protection program, etc.... But simply fill out forms by ticking the box "please give all other names used....." and supplying the other name or names.

For the benefit of yourself and others there are certain jobs and positions where they *do* request and verify things going back to school records. Military, FBI, and other security clearances for both government and private enterprises often require extensive vetting. The higher up the food chain one is going the deeper will be the background check.

Finally in the case of school records much like birth certificates in many areas the originals are not destroyed. Merely amended documents are provided reflecting the new name, with a notation in file as to what and why things happened (copy of court order, etc...).
Usually a company does a background check and all they require is your information. Name, any other alias, social security #, address lived for the past 10 years, etc. I never heard of a company requesting the physical copy of a HS or college diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: