Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times

Advertisements

Thousands of office workers in midtown are drug users too.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Thousands of office workers in midtown are drug users too.
Or academics. Or police officers. Or social workers. Or actors and people on Broadway.

Most people use a drug of some sort. Take an aspirin to make a headache go away? That's a drug. Drink tea to fill better from a cold? That's a drug. Take prescriptions for an illness? That's a drug.

The people who become opiate addictions often have physical injuries to their bodies and are prescribed opiate painkillers. Those who have are vulnerable to addiction become addicted.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Preach on brother. I might be in the minority with you on how to deal with worthless, lowlife, degenerate drug addicts that will amount to nothing and will be a detriment to society. I have no sympathy for them and their drug addiction. I guarantee that if people had the courage to do what is the greater good for society and offed these degenerates or locked them up, then we would live in a much safer and prosperous world.
As someone with a high level of education, I know from personal experience that drug use is common in academia, on Wall Street, in the real estate profession, among lawyers, and among the medical profession.

It exists in all walks of life, along all socioeconomic backgrounds. Clinton, Bush, and Obama have all been somewhat open about past drug use and each of these men were the President. Trump was sniffing a lot during the debates, looking like someone who has the urge to do coke. Considering he comes from real estate and the entertainment industry, these industries are full of cocaine users.

It's a myth that most drug users are poor or homeless or on welfare. Drugs are pretty expensive, so to buy quality stuff you're making a good living.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:47 AM

The governor elect of NJ has already said within the first one hundred days marijuana will be legalized. The state legislature has said they will have the bill already. So look for New Yorkers to go to NJ to have a good time, until New York does it's own legalization.

The war on drugs is winding down. Even Trump himself suggests TREATMENT for opiate addicts, not incarceration.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Today I witnessed 3 people near the infamous junky's McDonalds near 35th st and 8th avenue. I noticed some of them seemed to be fading away and losing their balance as they stood near the curb. I looked this up and it's often referred to as 'the dope fiend lean' My question is where are they shooting it up and who in the area is supplying them with drugs ? Are there drug dealers in that vicinity and if so then why aren't police cracking down?
The West side downtown has always been a drug area always will. Port authority bus station and times square area still are drug addict hubs.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The West side downtown has always been a drug area always will. Port authority bus station and times square area still are drug addict hubs.
There are shelters, SROs, and various social service providers in the area from south of Penn Station to Hells Kitchen. There's places for them to eat, to apply for government benefits, and to be housed.

Also if someone completely has nothing back home, it's pretty easy to scrape up some money and buy an one way ticket to NYC. Homeless people also move to NYC to be homeless, and being that one does not need a visa to enter NY there's nothing the police can do about this.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You're trying to conflate random aspects of the lives of productive members of society with hardcore drug use that renders people useless and strips them to the most-base levels of humanity. No one is suggesting killing aspirin users because aspirin is a benign drug used legally and properly to treat basic aches and pains and stave off heart attacks. Your audience is not as stupid as the logical connections you are attempting to make.

So, nice try I guess? I am not ashamed.

I've zero sympathy for drug users. They made their own choices and we, civil society, should not foster, enable, and finance their degeneracy. Before you say it: I don't care if it is a family member of mine. I've been through it with friends and family both. A junkie is no longer the person you cared for or loved, or else they wouldn't CHOOSE to put you through their nonsense. Besides, it is a tired argument anyway as whatever choices families make in helping their own are the business of those families alone. My problem is with society picking up the tab.

Black, white, poor, rich, accountant, cop: I don't care. You can stress over identity politics. I just want junkies far away from me and mine.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're trying to conflate random aspects of the lives of productive members of society with hardcore drug use that renders people useless and strips them to the most-base levels of humanity. No one is suggesting killing aspirin users because aspirin is a benign drug used legally and properly to treat basic aches and pains and stave off heart attacks. Your audience is not as stupid as the logical connections you are attempting to make.

So, nice try I guess? I am not ashamed.

I've zero sympathy for drug users. They made their own choices and we, civil society, should not foster, enable, and finance their degeneracy. Before you say it: I don't care if it is a family member of mine. I've been through it with friends and family both. A junkie is no longer the person you cared for or loved, or else they wouldn't CHOOSE to put you through their nonsense. Besides, it is a tired argument anyway as whatever choices families make in helping their own are the business of those families alone. My problem is with society picking up the tab.

Black, white, poor, rich, accountant, cop: I don't care. You can stress over identity politics. I just want junkies far away from me and mine.
Productive members of society, including elected officials, CEOs, and the like place opiates, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, and the others in their bodies as well. Most drug users are functional, regardless of the drug they have consumed.

You're painting a false picture of drug use.

Homeless drug users have separate issues besides drug abuse. High school dropouts/lack of education, or existing mental health issues and a variety of other complex causes. These were people for whatever reason in their lives weren't going to be so called productive people at this particular junction of their lives.

By the way, too much aspirin, an over the counter drug can be fatal as well. But everyone takes aspirin for a headache, or benadryl to stop itching or to fall asleep. Everyone is a drug user in the end, despite your 80s era propaganda.

Btw, it took them a year but finally this Congress has passed a budget. We know NYC is going to see budget cuts under it. Civil service employees will have to be laid off. If De Blasio responds to budget cuts from Trump by laying off NYPD I will take out the champagne (booze is a drug too) and celebrate, while dancing to Get the Party Started by Shirley Bassey (originally sung by Pink).

Under a strict interpretation of the constitution it's not for national taxpayers to fund taxes in "inner" cities. That's a matter for local and state taxpayers to take up, so technically the NYPD never should have gotten money from the Clinton, Bush, or Obama administrations. So any damage Trump does to NYPD funding will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:18 AM

You’re one of the most comedic posters in this section. You try so hard to rile people up, regardless of the topic.

Let’s just say your off-topic attempt at a dig on me comes true. You do realize how civil service laws work in NY correct? An NYPD layoff would benefit me immensely through overtime.

In the heart of the 70’s downfall of NY, only 1-3 year rookies were laid off and everyone else made a killing for a few years until they were re-hired. I’m waaaay past 1-3 years. About 80% of the department would have to go before me. So no skin off my back. I’d hate to see others suffer, but I’ll take extra pensionable money if it happens.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 AM

Back to the topic at hand (heroin, not sugar, caffeine or over-eating carbs lol), Narcan is the great enabler that allows these people a sense of safety to chase a stronger high. They (falsely) do not fear a “bad batch” because someone with narcan will likely arrive quick enough to save them. It’s a Catch-22 for medical and 1st responder agencies that needs to be confronted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City