Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:42 PM

209 posts, read 253,711 times

Advertisements

There were proposals about this for a while, but it seems it has finally happened that Beijing is getting ready to donate an Arch to Brooklyn's Sunset Park Chinatown.

It is a wonderful thing Brooklyn's Sunset Park Chinatown is getting an Arch.

But I am surprised that Beijing did not choose Flushing's Chinatown to get one and I am surprised that Flushing's Chinatown residents have not complained.

Oh well. It is not a big deal anyway, but I just still want to say that I would have assumed they would have chosen Flushing's Chinatown because it is actually larger than Brooklyn's Sunset Park Chinatown and they have a lot more diverse populations of different regional groups from China and Taiwan, giving a great representation of China's many regional populations other than the fact that it is mainly Mandarin speaking, China's and Taiwan's official and majority language. In addition, they have a more urban pop culture style and are the closest to resembling Shanghai and Beijing, which are China's main urban economic centers and they host a lot of migrant workers from all different parts of China like Flushing's Chinatown having a various diverse Chinese population from many regions of China.

Although Flushing's Chinatown looks like Taipei as well since there is also a lot of Taiwanese people, the original settlers of Flushing's Chinatown/Little Taiwan and many of the businesses use traditional characters for their signs like Taiwan despite that the Taiwanese are no longer the majority Chinese population they once were and now immigrants from Mainland China constitute the vast majority of roughly 75%-80% the Chinese population leaving the remaining to be Taiwanese with some Hong Kong people.

As for Brooklyn's Sunset Park Chinatown, which was once a small Cantonese enclave is now a very large majority Fuzhou enclave, with some of the long time Cantonese residents remaining. However, Brooklyn's newer emerging small Chinatowns in various sections of Bensonhurst and a portion of Sheepshead Bay are mostly Cantonese. Brooklyn's several Chinatowns although do have an urban style as well, it is not quite like Flushing's Chinatown and the buildings are smaller and still have a more village/suburban style and they do not have such a great representation of different Chinese groups as they are mostly Cantonese and Fuzhou.

Here are the links below to these articles relating to this topic.
https://bklyner.com/beijing-gifts-fr...rks-chinatown/
https://www.brickunderground.com/liv...Park-Chinatown
https://untappedcities.com/2017/11/0...n-sunset-park/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 02:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Nothing suburban about Sunset Park

Old 12-03-2017, 02:16 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Also, is it true that 8th Ave is actually Boro Park?

Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
I wonder if this is a Trojan Horse like the one happen in Greek history.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:04 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Eh, one of the unique things about NYC chinatowns are that they don’t do those kitsch archs that you see in just every chinatown in the world. Unlike many of those tourist-trap, faux chinatowns, the ones in NYC are true work-live Chinese communities.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:42 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
yes, there are a lot of little chinese men hiding in it that will come out at night

Old 12-03-2017, 05:46 PM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
Quote:
Yes, except instead of Greeks, it'll be hipsters pouring out of it with their Leica cameras elbowing each other in the face for a chance to be the first to post a shot of it on their Instagram. And then blog about how this part of Sunset Park is the most awesome ever, like that article that came out a couple of weeks ago designating it as one of the top ten "coolest" places to visit in the world.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
yes, there are a lot of little chinese men hiding in it that will come out at night
wow...."little chinese men"...if they ever take over your property and have you down on your knee, I wonder what would you say...jejeje

Old 12-03-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Yes, except instead of Greeks, it'll be hipsters pouring out of it with their Leica cameras elbowing each other in the face for a chance to be the first to post a shot of it on their Instagram. And then blog about how this part of Sunset Park is the most awesome ever, like that article that came out a couple of weeks ago designating it as one of the top ten "coolest" places to visit in the world.
haha...I agree. Ignorance is so contagious and deadly, you simply can't cure it with anything available on this planet.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:34 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Quote:
its probably a listening post. Its full of bugs that are infecting your smartphones just like the bank of china building in midtown is PLA spy center.

This is because De blasio is a full fledged communist. like trump is in league with putin, de blasio is in cohoots with the CCP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City