Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:27 PM

14 posts, read 32,853 times

Advertisements

sorbillo from napoli opened recently on bowery. best pizza i ever had at the naples pizzeria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:37 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,426,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCnorb View Post
Vezzo, Tappo, Pasto (essentially the same restaurant) = heaven

-pizza lover
Been to vezzo. not impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Still a fan of Di Fara, though I haven't really branched out from what I know in a while. Make sure he makes it and not his son. It's not as good.
I made the trek to di fara. I think it was too hyped for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you've tried Lee's, go to Denino's next. Staten Island's worst internal argument is between those two. I can't choose a favorite honestly.
I need to go to denino's again. Last time, I had an appetizer which made me full so could not pass good judgement.

Is the denino's in manhattan as good as the one in Staten island?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 PM

18,882 posts, read 13,768,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nice! I forgot about Denino's, but I've been meaning to try it. It's just that I like Lee's so much I just end up going there. If you're having a hard time choosing a favorite, then I reckon I should give it a shot.

How do you feel about Joe and Pat's? I've been to Rubirosa multiple times and I figured the pizza would be the same, but maybe that's a bad assumption on my part.
I haven’t been to Joe and Pat’s in awhile, but I remember it being more like “regular” pizza from our area. Denino’s and Lee’s are in a workd of their own.

I have another recommendation that doesn’t usually make the pizza radar: Giovanni’s. It’s one block from the Eltingville Train Station. The pies are rectangles, cooked in a wood-fired oven and they have some interesting creations.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Is the denino's in manhattan as good as the one in Staten island?
Never been.

Let me tell you a Denino’s story that shows just how good they are:

One of my best friends lives straight up the block from it, on the side street everyone tries to park on. It drives him nuts because if he moves his car for even a second, someone going to the place takes his spot.

So one night we are hanging in his mancave watching TV and drinking. It’s time to leave and he says he’ll walk me out because they always leave trash outside and he wants to pick it up. This is a cold night FYI.

So we get downstairs and he lights a cigarette and immediately sees a pizza box on top of his regular garbage pail which would get him a ticket. He gets all pissed off and stalks over to it, picks it up... and this weird look comes over his face.

“There’s pizza in it!”

He opens it and there’s a full, still warm margherita pie inside, not a single slice missing.

We figured that someone was parked there, put it down to get in the car, and forgot it.

He goes to put it in the trash...

Me: “Woah! What the hell are your doing?”

Him: “I’m throwing it out, what do you mean?”

Me: “Uh, no you aren’t...”

And the rest is history.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,426,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Never been.

Let me tell you a Denino’s story that shows just how good they are:

One of my best friends lives straight up the block from it, on the side street everyone tries to park on. It drives him nuts because if he moves his car for even a second, someone going to the place takes his spot.

So one night we are hanging in his mancave watching TV and drinking. It’s time to leave and he says he’ll walk me out because they always leave trash outside and he wants to pick it up. This is a cold night FYI.

So we get downstairs and he lights a cigarette and immediately sees a pizza box on top of his regular garbage pail which would get him a ticket. He gets all pissed off and stalks over to it, picks it up... and this weird look comes over his face.

“There’s pizza in it!”

He opens it and there’s a full, still warm margherita pie inside, not a single slice missing.

We figured that someone was parked there, put it down to get in the car, and forgot it.

He goes to put it in the trash...

Me: “Woah! What the hell are your doing?”

Him: “I’m throwing it out, what do you mean?”

Me: “Uh, no you aren’t...”

And the rest is history.
Do you get the Margarita or just a plain cheese?

Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 AM

All of thier pies are great. I like their white the best.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:31 AM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Sally's Apizza or Frank Pepe's. Best in America.
I was going to say that. BAR, Modern, and De Legna as runners up. The best pizza is in New Haven. Sinatra knew.

In NYC, I like the original Grimaldi’s, Roberta’s, and DiFara’s.

Haven’t found an exceptional pie in Manhattan sadly. John’s on Bleeker was a huge letdown after all the hype.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:40 AM

636 posts, read 605,558 times
My personal favorites right now are:

Patsy's in east harlem
Bad Boys on 86th in brooklyn
Nino's in bay ridge
Saluggi's (red slices lunch special)
Luzzo's (napolitan style whole pizza, no slices)

Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM

782 posts, read 852,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
My personal favorites right now are:

Patsy's in east harlem
Bad Boys on 86th in brooklyn
Nino's in bay ridge
Saluggi's (red slices lunch special)
Luzzo's (napolitan style whole pizza, no slices)
Something happened to Ninos lately...its not as good as it used to be.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:06 PM

782 posts, read 523,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You’re right, Rizzo’s is not that thin. I guess I placed it there because it’s been a while since I’ve had it and I remember the crust being crispy.

Thin, crispy crust isn’t my usual, but lately I’ve been wanting it more. Thanks for the recommendations!
Hmmm, if you’re looking for crispy, then my suggestions of Sal & Carmine’s and Patsy’s might not work. I think they are more floppy along the lines of your typical NY slice, just on the thinner side. The pizza from Vezzo and its sister restaurants that others have mentioned are very thin and crispy and would probably meet your criteria (I’m personally not a fan but I know people who love them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City